Saxophone Forum

by astrocarro
(5 posts)
19 years ago

looking for a Getz sound

like the topic says. Don't think like getz gelberto, think like, late stan. A great soft tone that can just wail. I have a Link 5, which is too much like my C star, that is, classical. Any ideas for a mouthpiece? I like Dexter Gordon's too, but his sound is a bit beefy/ when he's plays fast, in my opinion. Anyway, I play on a Mark, VI. anyway help is great, thanks Also, what have you heard about the link new yorks?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by tsax_player
    (76 posts)

19 years ago

Re: looking for a Getz sound

Getz, and Gordon are the reason I got into jazz. I love those guys. I think Getz played a metal link most of his years and then switched to a hard rubber meyer. I dont now what kind of link you have but I would try something in a hard rubber mouthpiece for that sound. I tried the metal new york links about 2 years ago and they felt really stuffy. I think I tried from a 7-10 and they all felt like they were the same size. They are probably great pieces if you can have a wedge inserted or have someone work on it for you. I am currently playing a hard rubber peter ponzol 105 (about a 7* for a link) on tenor and love it. You might try that or a hard rubber meyer. Good Luck!

Reply To Post

2. by saxophoneplayingistight
    (13 posts)

19 years ago

hey man i love getz and dexter too. Anyway i no that late late stan he played rubber meyers. But just a recommendation if you dont have it already check out stan getz cafe montmartre. IT IS SO INCREDIBLE ITS ONE OF THE MOST INCREDIBLE EXAMPLES OF BALLAD PLAYING EVER. BUT YEA. Look into meyers because thats what he played at that time. Also he used a double lip embouchure which is mainly used for double reed instruments. You curl both of your lips in to achieve that embouchure. It causes alot of unecessary squawks though. Also i have a New york otto link 6*. i absoloutely love it. it is incredible. mached up with my yamaha custom and fibracell reeds you cant loose. Yea thats alot of info but good luck.

Reply To Post AIM

1. by connsaxman_jim
      (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Getz played a Conn 10M tenor with a Meyer metal piece also. I think the Otto Link he used was a Super Tone Master....maybe a Florida model? I'm not sure. He also used a Brilhart hard rubber mouthpiece. If you're looking for a nice soft mellow tone, try the Brilhart Ebolin.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by saxismyaxe
        (575 posts)

19 years ago

Getz played the 10M/Otto Link during the 40's, but switched in the 1950's to a Selmer MKVI, and played Selmer horns from that point onward. I actually prefer his earlier sound, when he was heavily influenced by Prez's playing/sound. The Conn factor didn't hurt either!

Reply To Post

1. by Nichwan_is
          (3 posts)

19 years ago

Hey everyone... My main influences are stan getz, sonny stitt and john coltrane. I know that for most of getz's life he played on an 8* metal otto link. He used a mk6 tenor and also, to get his sound you need to press your teeth onto the reed and dampen the rest of the reed with your lips. A link 7* would do the trick (just use a very thick reed such as a rico royal 4-5) Saying all of this, you still need the build and the persistance to get this to work. 6hrs of pracitise per day for about 6 years would get that type of embrichure working... Just that when you start out the reed squeeks when pressed against by your teeth... thats why stan always used to squeek on his earlier albums.

Reply To Post