Saxophone Forum

by CHiTownD
(3 posts)
8 years ago

Re-Laquered "The Martin" Tenor

Hello...I have a Martin Tenor 209xxx that was re-laquered...I was wondering the forums thoughts on this....Here's my dilemma ...the horn has a blow-out on the F tone hole and its going to need some other work to get her playing...As I can't play it to hear the quality of that Martin sound and the effects the rather" good re-laq" had??   should I spend the money to find out? Thanks D

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by historicsaxwhisperer
    (644 posts)

8 years ago

Re: Re-Laquered "The Martin" Tenor

I am assuming here you mean high F.

"Blow-out" of the F tone hole is very vague. The Martins have soldered on tone holes, so if it is unsoldered completely, cover the hole with strong duct tape to close it off. This will allow it to play minus high F I am assuming. If the tone hole simple leaks, close it off with some silicone calk and let it set up overnight. This will also allow you to shut it off. If it is just a bad pad, close it off with duct tape to fix the leak and test play that horn. Depending on what other problems it may have.

If this is the F tone hole in the lower stack, this hilbilly duct tape leak fix will not do you any good. Whatever the situation, a vintage Martin Tenor relaquered or not, is a great horn. My first and exsisting alto is a Martin.

Reply To Post

1. by CHiTownD
      (3 posts)

8 years ago

Re: Re-Laquered "The Martin" Tenor

Yeah I guess a little vague...The F tone hole on the lower stack has a 7.75mm "slit" about as thick as an index card where the tone hole meets the body. It needs to be re-soldered...I'll  throw a dab of caulk on it, and close up the other pad leaks and see what happens...thanks

Reply To Post