Saxophone Forum

by robfrazier
(2 posts)
8 years ago

Help with ID of a 55 C.G. Conn Tenor

I have a tenor marked C.G. Conn LTD with no other engraving except the serial (538xxx).  Info here tells me this is probably an early "Director" but I thought those all had the "shooting stars" engraving on them.  From reading here and other sites, I would also expect to see a model number above the serial.  The keywork looks like the director series as opposed to the artist series.  Can anyone tell me what the story is on this horn and why it has no limited markings/engraving?  Is it really a director, etc...?

Thanks! 

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by GFC
    (842 posts)

8 years ago

Re: Help with ID of a 55 C.G. Conn Tenor

It is a very early Director. The "shooting stars" engraving on the Director was introduced a bit later.  The earliest Directors were virtually the same as the Pan American line of budget horns produced by Conn.  If you don't mind the keywork, they're as good as any Conn produced after 1955.

Reply To Post

2. by robfrazier
    (2 posts)

8 years ago

Re: Help with ID of a 55 C.G. Conn Tenor

Thanks for the info.  I get how the shooting stars engraving might have been an afterthought.  But I still wonder why they didn't stamp the model number on the early ones, since they'd been doing that to other models for some time.  Maybe they hadn't actually committed to the director even being an established model until they had already made several.  Hmm...probably never know.  I'm glad to hear that they're still good horns.  I'm planning to refurb this one, probably spend more than it's actually worth, but it's got family history and I'd like it to live on.  Thanks again!

Reply To Post