Saxophone Forum

by mijderf
(282 posts)
8 years ago

Saxquest Conn 6M repair

Yesterday I received my 1936 transitional Conn 6M back from Saxquest in St. Louis (they straightened the body, adjusted the keys and cleaned and regulated the horn as well as cleaning and fixing the microtuner).  What a fantastic job!  It now plays like a dream!  My experience with Saxquest was a great one, and everyone I spoke with was super courteous, helpful and quick to respond.  It is obvious to me that they really love these horns.

Mark Overton has put together a very special, unique operation.  I really appreciate what he has done, and what he offers his customers.  To show my appreciation, I am making a contribution to saxophone.org.  I encourage anyone who recognizes the value that is offered to consider doing the same.

Jim in Ohio

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by historicsaxwhisperer
    (644 posts)

8 years ago

Re: Saxquest Conn 6M repair

What made you decide to choose saxquest, pack up your horn, and send it to St Louis?

I know of a few experts in Ohio, so there must have been a draw that made you choose Saxquest. I am sure Mark would like to know what gave them the edge in your choice.

I personally would not expect anything less from Saxquest, as they have become one of the driving forces that us vintage sax guys compare our own shops to. Along with Tenor Madness.

Reply To Post

1. by mijderf
      (282 posts)

8 years ago

I was looking for someone who specialized in vintage horns.  I also did not have any luck finding a location in Ohio with this experience (even went to the head of the saxophone group at our local state college, who amazingly recommended a local music shop that I do not have a high opinion of).
      I am originally from St. Louis, but left there in 1993, so I was not aware of Saxquest until recently.  I started reading their testimonials, and was impressed by how many customers were willing to ship their horns to them from around the world.  I then contacted a few of my old musically inclined friends in StL and I got great feedback from them as well.

After that, it just made perfect sense to me to send it to them.  I was more concerned with getting the work done correctly than I was with local convenience. 

I think I will be sending my old clarinet in for an overhaul too!

Jim 

Reply To Post

1. by historicsaxwhisperer
        (644 posts)

8 years ago

That was exactly the post I was expecting and it is dead on reality.

The repair gurus I know in Ohio are simply not in love with the vintage horns as Saxquest has proven they are. I am a "prodigy" of Barry (Bear) Wilson of Cybersax. As he was helping me to hone my skills at the repair bench , he was also talking up another internet friend of his, Mark Overton in St Louis. As I, Mark was also searching the seas of Ebay for those treasures that nobody realized what they had. Now some 20 years or so later, Mark not only has gained the knowlege of these wonderful hand made jewels, but a wonderful museum for us Saxophone Geeks to enjoy.

Mark has developed something special out there in St Louis. He has a market setting business out there that I am sure he loves every day. If I need to value a horn, I know saxquest will have answers for me.

Reply To Post

1. by mijderf
          (282 posts)

8 years ago

I will be heading to St. Louis in October to attend the wedding of my nephew.  I am definitely setting aside a day so that I can visit the museum at Saxquest and maybe say hi to the people that helped me so much.  And as a bonus, they are located in a great part of the city and look to be surrounded by some nice restaurants/delis.

Reply To Post