Saxophone Forum

by kat99
(1 post)
19 years ago

books

I am thinking of buying a soprano saxophone. I used to play the clarinet years ago. I was wondering what kind of book to buy to learn the soprano. I don't see any around. Do I buy a alto book or a clarinet book?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by definition
    (963 posts)

19 years ago

Re: books

A tenor sax book would work well, if you want it to include the fingerings (fingerings are the same for all saxes) plus the tenor is in the same key as the soprano (Bb)

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by tenor562
      (297 posts)

19 years ago

It's more difficult to find music written for the soprano sax than it is the other saxes. Soprano sax continues to remain a solo instrument in the jazz ensemble, not for concert band. As definition said, the fingerings are the same for all saxes, and the tenor sax books will work the best.

Reply To Post

1. by karebear1012
        (395 posts)

19 years ago

I have a soprano sax, and i can't find music for it anywhere!! Trumpet music works great because it's also in the same key, but it obviously doesnt have sax fingerings in it. if soprano is gonna be your very first sax, i would get a tenor book because that'll have fingerings. Good luck!

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Well, you could try Clarinet also, since the clarinet is also in Bb. The fingerings will be similar. Otherwise, tenor sax music would be in the same key, but possibly a different part.

Reply To Post Yahoo!