Saxophone Forum

by Fred12
(11 posts)
19 years ago

C Melody

Was given a 1909 Holton C Melody to make a lamp of, since it was bought as "junk". I couldn't bear to do it, cleaned it up & put in new pads, added an alto mouthpiece (Morgan Protone, tried others but htis was better). Anyway, it plays erratically, hard to get lower 6 tones. I realize this horn isn't worth much and am reluctant to buy a mail order mouthpiece since the horn is VERY sensitive to reeds and mpc's, I would spend a few bucks if I knew a particular mouthpiece would work really well. Any advice about making this horn play better, or a reliable and inexpensive mouthpiece?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Re: C Melody

I found a Woodwind mouthpiece for C Melody. There are some new pieces out there. I use bass clarinet reeds. They are the same size as the original C Melody reeds. If you can't find a C Melody piece, certain tenor pieces work ok. I tried a Brilhart Ebolin tenor mouthpiece and it played pretty good. The c Melody is closer in pitch to the tenor than the alto. you want a smaller tenor piece though.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by definition
      (963 posts)

19 years ago

Runyon makes a great C-mel piece, that has been used by me and a few freinds of mine with good sucess, even on a Holton; which my freind plays

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by saxismyaxe
        (575 posts)

19 years ago

If you are looking for a cheapie mouthpiece that will work on a number of C-Melody models, the Rico Graphtonite Tenor pieces will work "O.K.". Although, having owned and played a number of Morgan Mouthpieces (including his C-Melody pieces), I doubt that this will work better than the Excellent Morgan. His "student" Pro Tone" models are often better than many of the "Pro" models by other makers.

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Sax, I've tried the graftonite tenor pieces on my C melody. For tenor, I LOVE them! They are one of my favorite mouthpieces, even though they are incredibly cheap! They're a bigger mouthpiece though, and I think the size of the piece throws the intonation off more. The Brilhart Ebolin is a smaller tenor piece and seemed to work better. I'd like to try a morgan. I lucked out and found a new Leblanc woodwind piece. I use a tenor rovner ligature with it and bass clarinet reeds and it plays pretty good.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by TheChristianSax
          (6 posts)

19 years ago

I actually had good luck with an Otto Link Super Tone Master. It gave the horn good edge and was fairly easy to play. I have since sold the old c-melody, but there seems to be growing curiosity about them.

Reply To Post

3. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

I've tried my Otto Link Super tone Master on my conn C Melody before. The intonation is workable with the Otto Link, but seemed better with my Meyer piece. I think a smaller tenor piece with a shorter shank would work best. The Otto Link has a fairly long shank.

Reply To Post Yahoo!