Saxophone Forum

by Dirty_Reggae
(55 posts)
19 years ago

Symphonic Season

Well marching season has come to an end and xmas break is over. Time for the concert peices to start creepin out. Whats everyone playing this year? Anyone not play sax for symphonic season (i know it can get boring) What festivals are your bands attending? Also while im here what do you guys think is the best setup for concert peices?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by chasebk
    (4 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Symphonic Season

ohh i remember that one, it was ok. it was not really classic Ticheli style music, expressive yes...but also extremely repetative and monotonous if memory serves. Definitly not one of his better pieces of literature. And we do hate the oboe!

Reply To Post

2. by TrentG
    (15 posts)

19 years ago

We're playing: -Von GrrHart's March -Cumberland Cross (A.K.A. CueCumberland Cross) little joke in the hall. -Ghost Fleet -Locomotive Chase (my favorite) my solo was awesome for solo and emsemble contest. it was called Sonata V. I recomend it for someone who really likes fast pieces!!! 4 movments. I had to play all. I like the second and fourth one the best. Second one I bombed in the room. 1st and 3rd are slow piece. ALOT OF VIBRATO AND TR~~~'S! I got and deserved a 2.

Reply To Post

3. by AJBalettie
    (11 posts)

19 years ago

Our band is playing an amazingly simple yet looks complicated peice called Festival in Russia which has a catchy tune.

Reply To Post

4. by straightj
    (18 posts)

19 years ago

Our March Concert: -Lake Zurich Celebration -Soundtrack to the Lion King (you know the songs) -A Cartoon Express (Popeye, Tiny Toons, Pink Panther, etc.) -Spongebob Squarepants (yes, that's right) Our May Concert -Folk Song Suite (1st Movement Only) -Panther Fire -Songs of Sailor and Sea (my favorite) -Haven Dance

Reply To Post

5. by saxman0317
    (53 posts)

19 years ago

Unfortunatly, nothing exciting. We got a couple compililations and this new thing called flight of valor, cool song and based in the right idea (its in memory of every one that died on that plane in PA on 9/11). We also got a shortened version of in the mood to intro, some of the younger members into the swing style, but o well, at least i get to stand in the front in a major music hall for it!

Reply To Post AIM

1. by *ThE SaX*
      (8 posts)

19 years ago

We're playing some awesome pieces this year. We have The Phantom of the Opera, which is a great piece to play around with, you can really make your sax sing (at least, I can on my alto...). We also have On a Hymnsong by Phillup Bliss, which was about a boat sinking and everyone dying. You have a boatload (pun intended) of pianissimo low d's, c's, and even some pp b flats, so it's challenging to say the least. We're playing an awesome piece called The Light Eternal, it's a wonderful teaching tool ( so says our teacher, I just like it), because it has some polyrhythmics and odd time sigs. (5 for a bar, then two, then five, then 3, it's very funny to watch our director). It's about a boat that sinks and everyone dies... our band director might have a fettish or something, I'm not sure. Anyway, it's an awesome piece, if you need a varied song to showcase ability. We also play Olympiada, which we will play as a movement in our field show next year as well. It's powerful stuff, and it gets to MOVING! The low brass has a great part I love the whole song. All in all, I love all the music we're playing for concert and Festival this year!

Reply To Post

1. by KSsaxophone
        (57 posts)

19 years ago

Our lower band is playing phantom of the opera also! But my band is only playing one interesting song called ride. The others are pretty boring. One is a march and other is a song made to comemorate the victims of Columbine.

Reply To Post

1. by PIP
          (29 posts)

19 years ago

Was that Columbine piece composed by Frank Tichili?

Reply To Post

2. by KSsaxophone
          (57 posts)

19 years ago

Yeah it was. "American Elegy", apparently a lot of other bands are playing this piece too.

Reply To Post

3. by PIP
          (29 posts)

19 years ago

The reason I asked about the composer was because I was recently at an honor band where Frank Tichili was the conducter. The 11th &12th band sang Columbine's alma mater and then performed the song. They also performed two other pieces he wrote.

Reply To Post

2. by chasebk
        (4 posts)

19 years ago

We are not really doing anything super exciting, First Suite in Eb, Elsa's procession and some very boring british march. The first two are just pieces our director loves and are pretty much standard wind symphony pieces that every band should play etc. We were supposed to play Rockey Point Holiday which was pretty awesome, sax part wasnt half bad but our trumpets just couldent handle it...yet. Is it just me or does it seem like theres always just one section in the band that drags you down from reaching that next level of music?

Reply To Post

1. by tenor562
          (297 posts)

19 years ago

I heard that Columbine commerating piece on thursday. It was played by our high school's wind ensemble. The trumpet solo in it is really impressive.

Reply To Post

1. by KSsaxophone
            (57 posts)

19 years ago

The thing I don't like about the song is the oboe solos. Our oboes... uh... hehe... you just wanna like shoot them! No more playing!

Reply To Post

1. by sweeterswing
              (4 posts)

19 years ago

I'm on flute for concert season. We have -Emparata Overture... it's fairly interesting. Taxing on the upper ww's though. I'm one of the few that can play some parts. Goes into 7-8 time sig in a few spots. -a 9/11 tribute, In Their Honor, for our ballad. It's alright, but stays in the upper range (where our tuning dies) for flute and we get the pleasure of 32nd notes. -And we have a Sousa march, El Capitan. I dislike them with a passion. Too stuffy for my liking. (Had another Sousa march earlier in marching band for Veteran's day... I was playing alto on that one.) We played Phantom of the Opera for our Symphonic Orchestra when we went to Disneyland. I had piccolo part. That was tons of fun. High range flute notes on the theme played an octave up, Heh. Piccolo-induced headache after ten minute song though, aie. That thing takes huge amounts of breath support...

Reply To Post

2. by KSsaxophone
              (57 posts)

19 years ago

We just heard our lower band play phantom of the opera last night. I almost wet myself when the girl screamed!

Reply To Post

3. by west
              (242 posts)

19 years ago

Persis(awesome song) recommend it to teacher for next year Out Of The Darkness(meh) and i had a brain fart........................................................................................To be continued

Reply To Post

4. by YanagisawA-901
              (312 posts)

19 years ago

1st suite in Eb------Porgy and Bess-----Follow the river(terrible song, but the competition were entering requres you to play a sub3 grade piece as an opener)--------Journey into diablo canon-----for the fallen...... we had a song made for us by Steven Reineke, but he slacked on us so we pulled the plug

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

5. by tenor562
              (297 posts)

19 years ago

We're playing Journey into Diablo Canyon too for eighth grade band. I'm not really a big fan of it. -tenor562

Reply To Post

6. by barisax999
              (400 posts)

19 years ago

were playing tchaikovskys finale from his 4th symphony(totally awsome) and holsts 3rd suite(theres 4 movements.) in our last concert we played grangers chuldren march. if you play bari check it out, great part.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM