WHat type of sax does Kenny G play?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by invocansax
    (27 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Kenny G

Oh i forgot, if i will respect him its because he can sell a lot of albums. hes got the pulse of the fickle minded public. Pat Metheny was right in criticizing him for what he did to Lou Armstrongs 'what a wonderful world! Shame on you kenny for overdubbing yourself and putting yourself in the same world as lou armstrong!

Reply To Post

2. by kneejerk52
    (397 posts)

19 years ago

sellout? yea i guess so but, would you do it for five bucks, no, allright how about a million, you would, well i guess we are just dickering price and your not a sellout or are you. if somebody pays any of us enough i think most would at least consider the offer.

Reply To Post

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
      (767 posts)

19 years ago

For a million dollars I'd sing and dance to Michael Bolton while wearing something pink and fluffy. Call me a sellout all you like, I have a friggin million bucks!

Reply To Post

3. by BariSaxplyr
    (35 posts)

19 years ago

Kenny G plays a 1958 mark VI soprano. I am not a fan, because he uses electronics on his sound, and isnt a true saxophone player in that sense. Certainly a good businessman though...

Reply To Post

4. by barimachine
    (323 posts)

19 years ago

terrible but soprano poorly

Reply To Post

1. by karebear1012
      (395 posts)

19 years ago

terrible. i agree.

Reply To Post

2. by connsaxman_jim
      (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Why do you have to rag on Kenny G all the time? You know, he's sold more records than ANY other sax player I know of. You may not like his sound but that doesn't mean he sucks! Rather you like his music or not, you have to respect the man. He's very versatile, and his breathing techniques and his ability to hold a note as long as he can are very impressive. Eh, who am I kidding, I'm so sick of hearing Kenny G at every darn wedding reception I go to! Bad enough you have to choke down some overpriced, cold, tasteless, catered food!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by saxismyaxe
        (575 posts)

19 years ago

Whew, you had me worried there Jim! Don't scare us like that. :)

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Kenny G is like the "Richard Simmons" of sax players. I think that's the best way to put it!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by YanagisawA-901
          (312 posts)

19 years ago

the fact that kenny G has sold more records than any other sax player just goz to show your that the world doesnt know skill. they know what cool synth sounds and a audio enhanced soprano sounds like. and to them it sounds good. its like NBA players vs. Street Ball players of NYC. take Kobe up against one of the greatest street ball players like Peewee Kirkland or somthin and peewee would kick his ..... all kenny is..is media hype and average skill..

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

3. by argonne
          (24 posts)

19 years ago

If you think Kobe is the Kenny G of basketball, you don't know the sport. He is far more than media hype and average skill. he has the best all around game of any back court player in the league. Who is more complete? And don't say McGrady. He doesn't have the killer instinct or D that Kobe does. As for streetballers, no doubt there are some that have NBA level skill, but they don't have the drive or discipline to compete at an NBA level every night. With all the underage, underdeveloped players being drafted these days, if anyone thought a streetballer could help their team they would be signed. All that said, even if you don't agree with me, this is way more interesting than Kenny G!!

Reply To Post

4. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

That is so true of about 80% of the music thats out today Yani 901, and the really sad thing of it is that skill really has nothing to do with getting a record deal these days. It's luck, having the right look, being in the right place at the right time, having connections and being noticed. The real musicians are the guys playing the bar gigs. Music today is mostly digitally enhanced no-talent garbage created by the well-dressed "lemmings" who can't even take a ...t without first discussing it with their manager, publicist and producer! Ha! I laugh everytime someone hears me play and says..."man you're good! You should be making records or something". This guy walked up to me last night and asked me if I ever thought about making a CD or something.....ahhhh yeah.....been there, done that! People have no clue, and when they actually hear someone with talent they assume that thought NEVER crossed my mind!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

5. by barimachine
          (323 posts)

19 years ago

my annoying friend brought up his usual stupid money grubbing point that im putting so much emphasis on skill and talent but if so few people are appreciating it why bother? entertainment may be shallow but its entertaining, its just said that its come so low i miss the good old days i never lived in *sigh*

Reply To Post

2. by barimachine
        (323 posts)

19 years ago

haha whoa me too! i was like what! my teacher went to school with kenny g and said he was terrible and failed 2 or 3 remedial music classes in college

Reply To Post

3. by kneejerk52
      (397 posts)

19 years ago

i could see playing some kenny g at a gig kinda like when some players in the middle of a solo would include the melody of a twinkle twinkle litter or some other familar tune in the middle of a solo, ha ha couldn't resist

Reply To Post

4. by invocansax
      (27 posts)

19 years ago

Kenny G IS A SELLOUT! while ill admit to liking what he did during the 70s' with jeff lorber, anyting he does lately sucks...and i mean sucks! I just hate the fact that when during a gig, i take my sax out,some shmuck in the audience will shout "silhoutte or songbird". i mean give it up already! i didnt pick up the instrument when i was young because of him...it was stan getz baby! dont you guys JUST HATE his solos, it always ends with this incoherent barrage of legato notes ending with an altissimo note. you can actually predict what he does coz, he does the same thing, hes been doing it all these years. i call up an office, then they put me on hold, who do i hear...KENNY G! I attend a wedding or sometimes hired to play a wedding, and while i will suggest the typical jazz standards, like ' these foolish things, it had to be you, etc. theyl ask me to play songbird...since when was songbird a jazz standard? Ok, im just ventilating here, but im sure you know what im saying:)

Reply To Post

1. by saxlife59
        (7 posts)

19 years ago

HA Ha....you guys are brutal!! I've heard Kenny play straight ahead jazz, jammin with some heavy (true jazz cats) and the boy can hold his own in straight ahead. But thats not where the money is..now is it? Relax ya'll...it's all good.

Reply To Post

1. by saxlife59
          (7 posts)

19 years ago

To answer your original question, Kenny plays all Mark 6's and his tenor mouthpiece last i saw is a RIA metal...hard rubber on alto(make im not sure) and Dukof 8 metal on soprano

Reply To Post

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
            (767 posts)

19 years ago

I personally don't like his style of music, but how exactly is giving people what they want "selling out"?

Reply To Post

2. by connsaxman_jim
            (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Kenny catches a lot of crap, for various reasons; like his hair for example! I'd like to hear him play something other than the typical "Songbird or Silouette" or 20 other songs that he plays that ALL SOUND ALIKE!, and maybe tenor or alto; something other than soprano. As for his equipment, I thought he played a Yanigasawa soprano. I remember seeing an ad for Yani with his picture on it anyway.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

3. by barimachine
            (323 posts)

19 years ago

johny from wiscony i dont wanna hear kenny g he just pisses me off taking a good instrument like a sax and playin crap so a bunch of uninformed people can buy his stuff pisses me off not so much him but that he plays and he makes money for sucking while many qualified musicians dont get half of what he does

Reply To Post

4. by connsaxman_jim
            (2336 posts)

19 years ago

I can understand your frustration barimachine. One of the most frustrating things that I have realised as a musician is that. 1. for the most part, you're playing for a bunch of drunks who really have no idea nor do they care how good you are....as long as you don't suck too bad! 2. Most people are there to drink or pick up a mate. They may dance, but MOST are not there for the music. 3. They want to talk and socialize with their friends...or try to get to know the pretty girl sitting at the end of the bar all alone. If you're too loud, they automatically hate you no matter how good you are! This is the biggest problem I've had playing clubs. As a musician, you want the mix to sound good. I like my drummer's bass drum to be good and loud and a good mix. Sometimes this is hard to achieve, and a lot of rooms that we've played have really bad acoustics. 4. There are certain songs you'll have to play rather you like them or not, or no matter how sick and tired of playing them you might be. I hate Boot Scootin' Boogie with a PASSION!!! That song just makes me want to jump out of my skin! "we're not even a f#*king country band!" I say....it doesn't matter! We get so many requests for that song, and you HAVE to at least try to please your audience. 5. This one is pretty obvious. Professional conduct. You have to treat music like a business, and there are certain things that you JUST DON'T DO! And, I'll admit to probably breaking EVERY one of these rules before. Don't get drunk when you're playing music. Maybe a beer or 2, but keep it under control. Don't date the help, and be very discrete if you meet someone at the bar where you're playing. Gossip travels fast. The next thing you know, rumors are flying and the club owner calls you in the back and starts asking questions. Been there, done that, DON'T DO IT! don't mention other clubs or where you're going to be playing next. Club owners see this as an attempt to take away their business. Have plenty of business cards on hand with a band's email address and website (They're really easy to get, and geocities is free!) and pass out your cards to interested customers. Go around and talk to your customers; at least the ones who seem to be enjoying the music, and shake hands, introduce yourself. People really like that, and then next week they tell their friends "We were at this club last week and met this band, and they came over and talked to us and they were really nice, lets go se them this weekend!" And then, the club owner thinks "Wow, these guys are really drawing a crowd, so a month later when you go to the club owner and say.....The last 2 weekends have been standing room only, we want an extra $100 a night, you're in a possition to bargain. the most important thing I can tell you is...don't expect to ever make it big in the music business. Those opportunities are few and far between. I wish you luck and maybe you'll be one of the lucky ones, but have fun with it, make new friends, and just have a good time with it.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

5. by chiamac
            (586 posts)

19 years ago

"Professional conduct" lets review... 1)Don't get drunk when you're playing music. - you (yes you) do stupid things when drunk! 2)Don't date the help! 3)Gossip travels fast. -YES it does, stay away from it! 4)don't mention other clubs or where you're going to be playing next. -I didn't get the context of this, but if you're the house band playing once a week then yes dont' mention other venues that you have a weekly at. However if you're doing a once a month thing with shows other places, or a big show in a few weeks, then talk to management and mention it. 5)Have plenty of business cards on hand -that's just common sense. maybe print out flyers (1/4 sheet) and have them laying on every table and at the bar. I'll stop now.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

6. by chiamac
            (586 posts)

19 years ago

"Professional conduct" lets review... 1)Don't get drunk when you're playing music. you (yes you) do stupid things when drunk! 2)Don't date the help! 3)Gossip travels fast. YES it does, stay away from it! 4)don't mention other clubs or where you're going to be playing next. I didn't get the context of this, but if you're the house band playing once a week then yes dont' mention other venues that you have a weekly at. However if you're doing a once a month thing with shows other places, or a big show in a few weeks, then talk to management and mention it. 5)Have plenty of business cards on hand that's just common sense. maybe print out flyers (1/4 sheet) and have them laying on every table and at the bar. I'll stop now.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

7. by SAXMO
            (1 post)

19 years ago

Heh, so this is were all the cool dudes suppose to hang out. Anyway, this may not be the joint for me if you dudes hate Kenny G. The man is a genius, he has brought so much attention to the saxophone which I think is so awesome. Kenny is giving the people what they want to hear, haven't you guys figured that out. I like old school jazz too, but at the same time I like Kenny G, Boney James, and Gerald Albright just to name a few modern day musicians. Listen, these guys are helping me put money in my pocket because their music is so popular and I don't mind at all when someone request that I play one of their tunes, to me it's an honor. You guys better learn to flow with the times or you will be ancient history. And stop bashing Kenny, he really is a GREAT musician!

Reply To Post

8. by saxlife59
            (7 posts)

19 years ago

I agree with you SAXMO

Reply To Post

9. by connsaxman_jim
            (2336 posts)

19 years ago

My biggest complaint against Kenny is that all his songs sound alike, and at every wedding reception I go to, the DJ wants to play Kenny G all through the dinner and after about 5 songs. I ready to start a food fight just to break up the monotiny! So, Kenny, if you read these things....I know you have the talent. Put down that damn soprano and pick up a tenor or alto and play some REAL jazz!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

10. by barimachine
            (323 posts)

19 years ago

this IS good but bad at the same time if musicians cared so much about making all that money like kenny g we would all play like him but we know that jazz is better intelligent music we better ourselfs and dont sell out like that

Reply To Post

11. by kneejerk52
            (397 posts)

19 years ago

wise words bari i guess it might ease the pain if the sellout at least would play some real stuff after he makes all that money. that way the crap would be like his day job nobody ever holds that against a player do they?

Reply To Post

12. by saxxything78
            (14 posts)

19 years ago

Excuse the hell out of me, but I personally enjoy listening to (and playing with) Kenny G. My 10 yr old daughter heard me playing along with a tune called Esther. She thought the song was beautiful! Yeah, I agree, a lot of his songs sound the same, but after working at the office for 9 hrs, and coming home to relax to some soothing sax, Kenny G. does it for me. Just my 2 cents worth.

Reply To Post

13. by sax_maniac
            (984 posts)

19 years ago

There's music made to be digested by mass listeners and there's music that only players enjoy. I would guess that there's concert pianists that feel the same way about Elton John and Alicia Keyes that some sax players feel about Kenny G abnd David Sanborn. I don't own a single Kenny G album, but I like to listen to Boots Randolph on occasion - I don't do it as some sort of intellectual exercise. Sometimes people just want to veg out and the G-Man does it for them. Big whippin deal...

Reply To Post

14. by saxlife59
            (7 posts)

19 years ago

Hey now let's keep Sanborn out of this. Dave can blow circles around Gorelick!

Reply To Post

15. by sax_maniac
            (984 posts)

19 years ago

I like Sanborn to a certain extent. I just threw his name in the ring because he sometimes gets poo-poohed like G-Man. I like Dave's earlier funky stuff far more than his modern productions...

Reply To Post

16. by connsaxman_jim
            (2336 posts)

19 years ago

I like David Sanborn. So what about Candi Dulfer, or Grover Washington Jr? I really like Grover's last CD with "Soulfull Strut, and his version of "Can You Stop The Rain" . Grover can play stuff like Kenny plays with feeling and dynamics that Kenny lacks. And, he can play straight up jazz! Candi's hot!, and her music is almost as "sexy" as she is! There's a lot of energy in her music. Mindi Abair impressed me too.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

17. by sax_maniac
            (984 posts)

19 years ago

I thought Sanborn was the coolest thing when I first heard him back in high school (Straight to the Heart/Change of Heart), but as my musical tastes matured, I wasn't feeling inspired - like it was just more of the same. That's my problem more than his, however. I have found recent pleasure digging into his earlier recordings. He did some nice background work for Roger Waters, by the way. I'm not a huge follower of contemporary jazz, though I enjoy listening to it on XM quite a bit. The last time I heard someone and "envied their sound" was Joshua Redman. Mindi Abair impressed me when I saw her in the saxophone journal magazine a few months back (I couldn't sleep for a week), but I have to admit I don't know that I've heard too much of her playing. My dad is a music teacher, so I grew up hearing all sorts of different and occasionally quite odd music. My musical influences are on the order Tomita and Don Ellis moreso than Madonna and Men at Work. "WHO CAN IT... WHO CAN IT..."

Reply To Post

18. by saxlife59
            (7 posts)

19 years ago

I'ts David's personality, since i know him as a friend, not just his technical ability that inspires me. David plays from the heart as Grover was blessed to do also. Kenny is simply playing the hand he was dealt. he sure is pulling in his share of the chips!!

Reply To Post

19. by phathorn
            (165 posts)

19 years ago

I don't remember the guy who said this, but an old latin percussionist once described Kenny as "so many notes, so little to say". If he wants to make his career and be defined by the cheese he plays, so be it. There are a lot of cats in the same in the same genre who can play circles around kenny

Reply To Post

20. by bmcguire
            (45 posts)

19 years ago

You can't compare an artists talent with the number of records sold... Lets remember that the same ignorant people that think Kenny G is a great sax player are the same mass public that have created Brittany, Ashley Simpson, Spice Girls, the list goes on and on.... Kenny G sold more records than John Coltrane. I'm not saying KG sucks but I don't think theres a sax player alive that will say he's better than Coltrane, or Bird, or Cannonball for that matter. For the lame music he plays he does fine. Could he hang running through the Changes to Giant Steps, no. Would I play that lame music for that money, Yes and I would have no problem letting you guys make fun of me on this forum! If you want to listen to pop players that can blow, listen to Gerald, Najee (ever heard him on songs from the key of life) Nelson Rangell, Everett Harp, lots of others, just not Kenny!

Reply To Post

21. by west
            (242 posts)

19 years ago

You people think you're the ones that are sick of Kenny G.???? I actually had to play one of his songs with a kid that has bad sound quality in front of an audience at Combo Night

Reply To Post

22. by justanothersaxguy
            (58 posts)

19 years ago

I can't help myself. I have to respond. I'm not quite sure I have yet understood the phenomenon of "Kenny G - the sax player all other sax players either seem to love, or seem to love to hate." I can understand ANYONE saying they don't like his playing. I suppose I can even understand that anyone could actually hate it. THIS IS ALL A TASTE ISSUE as I see it, and, therefore, everyone is entitled to their opinion. But to say he's terrible, or he sucks? GIVE ME A BREAK. Maybe you don't like his superfluous runs and stuff. But it's a taste issue. If you were to do a 1 to 10 scale, with Coltrane at a 10, and, say, my 13 year old son at a 1, then Kenny is somewhere in between. I'm betting we'd have to be honest enough to recognize he's probably somewhere closer to 10 than 1. (Good intonation, can carry a tune, doesn't squeek, totally captivates his VERY LARGE AUDIENCE, and I'll bet money he can even play by ear, etc. ). Someone up the line said it well: there is much more to getting a record deal than talent: there is being in the right time at the right place, with the right break, with the right arrangements, engineer and producer, and sometimes even with a willingness to get skinny because you're starving on your rise to the top (for instance, the name "Bony James" - he got a little thin while he got by on the road when funds were tight). The unfortunately reality of the world is that for every Kenny G who makes it, there are probably a thousand of us or so who feel we could do the same thing or better. But why is it Kenny's fault that life is not fair to the rest of us? I'm thinking most sax players just envy his success. I say more power to him. People like his music. That's why people buy his CDs. Who are we to look down on people because maybe they don't have the God-given ability to discern some differences that to us come down to things that in the end are sometimes taste issues?

Reply To Post

23. by martysax
            (148 posts)

19 years ago

I have to admit it. I've "had" to play a few Kenny G songs for recordings and gigs. It's a price you have to pay if you have a soprano on stage sometimes. It still beats playing country. They're relatively simple tunes. Since I also have an alto on stage I'll get the standard requests for "Take Five." Since I have a flute on stage I've even honored requests for "The Hustle!" If you have the equipment, you're expected to play it to the audience's taste, if you want to come back for another gig. At least nobody has requested "The Note" yet!

Reply To Post

24. by justanothersaxguy
            (58 posts)

19 years ago

OK. I'm baffled (and apparently I don't get out much). What is "the Note"?

Reply To Post

25. by tenor562
            (297 posts)

19 years ago

I'm not entirely sure, but the Note is Kenny's ability to hold a note out for extreme length's of time using circular breathing techniques. I remember that someone beat him, just not sure who.

Reply To Post

26. by justanothersaxguy
            (58 posts)

19 years ago

Oh, yeah. 45 minutes or something? I was going to learn how to do that. It's just that I have stuff like sleeping and working that seem to get in the way of the time it takes for such an important task. Ah, the tyrrany of the urgent.

Reply To Post

27. by connsaxman_jim
            (2336 posts)

19 years ago

I stopped bringing the flute, but I have NEVER gotten a request for the Hustle! I've gotten requests for Jethro Tull, Nights In White Satin, and a couple for Moondance. We actually used to do the last 2 I mentioned. Flute is not one of my better instruments!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

28. by martysax
            (148 posts)

19 years ago

Done those to. "Thick as a Brick" , "Locomotive Breath" and "Bouree" are the songs I tease people with. On stage with a rock band I'd get requests for "Color my World" and "Stairway to Heaven!" I'm getting old. The last time someone actually requested the Hustle was in 1979.

Reply To Post

29. by dhopson
            (8 posts)

19 years ago

That quote pretty much sums it up. I like many kinds of music, I'm usually trying to create or sustain a mood. Kenny G has his place in popular music. Its a matter of taste. A superbike racer wouldn't be happy with the performance of a Vespa, but he might use it to run for parts if he gets needy enough. KG put out a Christmas album a few years ago that I really loved.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

30. by west
            (242 posts)

19 years ago

Martysax-about Bouree, do you actually like that song? I have a classical book that has that song. I think it's wierd how something that is so similar can be so different at the same time. Ex: Bouree and Bouree #1.. I like Bouree, i think it has a neat kinda sound to it. Bouree #1. however doesn't sound as good to me. it doesn't seem to fit in with other classical music i play. i've sort of lost what i thought i had going but i'm going to try to describe it anyway. When i think of classical music, Bouree fits right in with that category, it's sort of like, "oh yah, that's classical music" but when i hear Bouree #1., it sounds to me as if it was composed recently and disguised as a classical piece. If you understood what i said and sort of got what little point i had, good for you, you're very observant. If you didn't get it, don't worry about it, i sort of lost my point and rambled abit.(like i'm doing now) End of post

Reply To Post

31. by martysax
            (148 posts)

19 years ago

Listen to Jethro Tull's "Bouree" and find a good bass player. It can be cool.

Reply To Post

32. by saxgroovez
            (11 posts)

19 years ago

I think if you can only rag on KG if you're making as much money than him or more. There is no classification in music, no rule that says it all has to sound like bird, or coltrane. As a matter of fact, only a small percentage of the listening audience understands skill and technique, and they happen to mostly be made up of other musicians. I don't understand how someone can rag on Kenny, it's ridiculous. The boy took his music the BANK! It's no different from someone righting simple hits like the Beatle's crap.

Reply To Post

33. by saxgroovez
            (11 posts)

19 years ago

I think if you can only rag on KG if you're making as much money than him or more. There is no classification in music, no rule that says it all has to sound like bird, or coltrane. As a matter of fact, only a small percentage of the listening audience understands skill and technique, and they happen to mostly be made up of other musicians. I don't understand how someone can rag on Kenny, it's ridiculous. The boy took his music the BANK! It's no different from someone righting simple hits like the Beatle's crap.

Reply To Post

34. by saxgroovez
            (11 posts)

19 years ago

Reply To Post

35. by saxgroovez
            (11 posts)

19 years ago

Reply To Post

36. by saxgroovez
            (11 posts)

19 years ago

Reply To Post

37. by saxgroovez
            (11 posts)

19 years ago

Reply To Post

38. by saxgroovez
            (11 posts)

19 years ago

Reply To Post

39. by connsaxman_jim
            (2336 posts)

19 years ago

I think you can rag on KG as long as you have better looking hair!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

40. by connsaxman_jim
            (2336 posts)

19 years ago

I prefer to think of Kenny G as the "Richard Simmons" of saxophone. Richard makes a lot of money with his gay, cheesy exercise videos.....Kenny makes a lot of money with his gay, cheesy saxophone music! They both have bad hair!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

41. by martysax
            (148 posts)

19 years ago

They should collaborate and make "Sweatin to Kenny" They can wear matching leotards, and Richard can sport a soft make-believe sax while Kenny seranades the obese with his Mark VI. I'm just curious, what exercise will be performed to "The Note?"

Reply To Post

42. by west
            (242 posts)

19 years ago

I like the Beatles

Reply To Post

43. by barimachine
            (323 posts)

19 years ago

saxxy thing im reaaaalllly sorry and this really isnt to insult you really, but i reallly cant resist listening to (and playing with) Kenny G. My 10 yr old daughter heard me playing along with a tune called Esther. She thought the song was beautiful! 10 year olds... yea that sounds like the general audience of today

Reply To Post

2. by barimachine
          (323 posts)

19 years ago

the funny part is most people i talk to wouldnt get that far, he makes so much money but i ask people,(i did a study for my school paper) do you own a kenny g album? most all did. Can you name his songs? maybe a few, all album titles. Have you even listened to the cd? HUGE amount of no's HUGE. Have you even opened the CD? UGHH so many people so much money, didnt even open the cd. like everyone mentioned they get it for makin love... elevators... waiting music... wedding receptions... not for even listening

Reply To Post

1. by argonne
            (24 posts)

19 years ago

That's actually why I sort of dispute the "popularity" term used to describe Kenny G. If you go to the used record stores, they shelves are packed with his cd's for under $4. Dozens of the same few albums that they can't give away... I think he's identifiable by people as an instrumental musician, but once they get the disk they realize its not fun like some pop music can be, and there's no real feeling to connect with so what's the point? Hence, all the unopened discs etc. Not "popular" in my book.

Reply To Post

2. by justanothersaxguy
            (58 posts)

19 years ago

Actually, it probably takes about 100 CDs sold to end up with 8 or 10 of them even making it to the used CD store. Of the other 90, probably 15 or 20 (I'm betting) are listened to somewhat regularly, the rest maybe only occasionally or not at all. They make it there for all kinds of reasons, not just because "everyone" who buys one turns out to not like it. You guys seem to have a bit of a problem looking down on people who may not have a level of sophistication to appreciate the difference between his playing and other players. That is sad. It seems maybe you're despising people because they don't fawn all over you like they do him? Are egos being bruised? You'll find a lot of laywers who look down on people who don't appreciate all the hard work they do to take their $300/hr. in an appointment or a courtroom. There are many doctors who despise all the "little people" who are not mentally sophisticated enough to appreciate the function of the spleen, or the difference between a virus and a bacteria. Who are they to look down on others, just because those other people don't worship at their greater knowledge and sophistication. Maybe you could argue that some of his runs are excessive. He plays on pitch. He can add distinctiveness and a bit of interest to a melody line. He has some very polished arrangements. And I'll bet you he can even play by ear. It sounds like he ad libs once in a while, don't ya think? It it makes you guys somehow feel better because you can shoot holes through the success of someone else, then maybe you need to go back to grade school. You might fit in better there. It would be nice to think most people grew out of this by puberty.

Reply To Post

1. by west
              (242 posts)

19 years ago

If everyone grew up and matured, then there wouldn't be any fun in life( Ex: fart jokes, whenever someone says something at the perfect time, funny noises that brake dead silence. ) Immature people make the world go round.

Reply To Post

2. by barimachine
              (323 posts)

19 years ago

exactly everyone acts like their so high and mighty but being mature all the time sucks the fun out of life geez im just saying its not my thing its not as good musically its just a cheapening of the jazz industry where less talented players get all the money for being lucky, like the rock industry most of the best bands dont make all the money, all those two chord punk dress up emo "rock" crap make all the money when real rock and blues players are livin the bar life in a car. I hate that they are trying to do the same thing to jazz.

Reply To Post

3. by west
              (242 posts)

19 years ago

I agree with you complete-diddily-iddily

Reply To Post

4. by connsaxman_jim
              (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Some of Kenny's songs are nice, and relaxing to listen to. He definately has done some music worth listening to; but what most people are saying here; myself included, is that we would like to see a more versatile Kenny G. I'd like to hear some more traditional jazz, or something a little more up-beat that what we've been hearing. So far, about all he has given us is elevator music, or something to listen to at the dentists office when getting a root canal! If Kenny can play some swingin' jazz, I'd sure like to hear it!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

5. by west
              (242 posts)

19 years ago

I've never really thought about it that way. I probably would like to hear him if he would play other kinds of music. Versatile is great word for describing how we want kenny and his music. I'd have never thunk it.

Reply To Post

6. by argonne
              (24 posts)

19 years ago

I don't think having an opinion about an entertainer or not enjoying sanitized flat-lined music is immature or condescending, but even if it is, I'd much rather be immature than think that Kenny G makes an artistic contribution worth the acclaim he gets. He's clearly good at what he does, and may have more musical ability than he displays, but why do I have to have a positive opinion of his albums to be considered mature and "one of the people"? And I agree with the statments above that what bothers many jazz fans is not about ego or immaturity, but its that people who by Kenny G albums probably think the saxophone begins and ends with him without acknowledging those artists who have spent their lives challenging the limits of creativity. I would even go so far as to say it bothers me that many people probably think jazz begins and ends with Kind of Blue.

Reply To Post

7. by justanothersaxguy
              (58 posts)

19 years ago

you don't have to be "one of the people" - just don't get your shorts so tied in a knot when so many people like him so much, and they're not all "one of you." Jazz is appreciated by musicians because they appreciate the technical prowess involved. Great. I don't expect anyone has to like him. I just think it's sad when so many people here get cranked because people don't appreciate the fact that some of you guys might be better players. That's life. It still seems like an ego problem. Maybe Kenny hasn't sold out. Maybe he actually LIKES what he plays. A lot of people do.

Reply To Post

8. by connsaxman_jim
              (2336 posts)

19 years ago

I think it's time to put an end to this post! If you like Kenny, great! If you hate Kenny, great! We are all entitled to our opinions. Moving on now...What do you guys think of Mindy Abair? I think she's hot as hell!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

9. by argonne
              (24 posts)

19 years ago

Thanks, if this went on much longer I might have had to buy a Kenny G album. I haven't seen Mindy. Does she have a web page?

Reply To Post

10. by martysax
              (148 posts)

19 years ago

Hey Jim, Can we call you "Conny J?"

Reply To Post

11. by connsaxman_jim
              (2336 posts)

19 years ago

how about Jim Connway

Reply To Post Yahoo!

12. by GzsKerqt
              (77 posts)

19 years ago

Mindy Abair is great. She's cool... I like how she plays her notes and her sound. Can't really see if she's hot. haha..

Reply To Post

13. by GordonGekko
              (27 posts)

19 years ago

I think you have hit upon an important point. Perhaps Kenny is tailoring his music and sound to the masses. None of us truly know what his capabilities are- we only know what we hear on cds the radio etc. Not everyone has the same refined palate for jazz- not everyone wants to listen to Parker, Coltrane, etc. In life, there will be people that compromise their work for fame, fortune, etc. By the same token, there will be those who will never compromise. Kenny G hasn't done anything illegal, he just made a lot of money compromising. Check out Forbes.com and take a look at the Billionaire homes section and see the $20 million estate that Kenny G. built. Regards, GG

Reply To Post

14. by justanothersaxguy
              (58 posts)

19 years ago

WHY DOES HE HAVE TO BE "COMPROMISING"? Maybe he actually LIKES the stuff he plays. I do.

Reply To Post

15. by GordonGekko
              (27 posts)

19 years ago

I'm sure he does like the music he plays and has written- many people do. Unfortunately, there are some saxophone players that seem to believe the only jazz saxophone players are those that play like Charlie Parker, etc. These same people also rip on other "Smooth Jazz" saxophone players such as Dave Koz, Warren Hill, and David Sanborn. Quite frankly, I enjoy all contemporary players and am disappointed that there are so many musicians out there with such a narrow-minded perception. Regards, GG

Reply To Post

16. by justanothersaxguy
              (58 posts)

19 years ago

I wholeheartedly agree with you.

Reply To Post

17. by johnsonfromwisconsin
              (767 posts)

19 years ago

---------------------------------------------------------------- These same people also rip on other "Smooth Jazz" saxophone players such as Dave Koz, Warren Hill, and David Sanborn. Quite frankly, I enjoy all contemporary players and am disappointed that there are so many musicians out there with such a narrow-minded perception. Regards, GG ---------------------------------------------------------------------- What if I just don't like smooth jazz? I *do* have about five KennyG albums too, so it's not a case of ignorance. Sanborn, Koz, and Gorlick are all fastastic in skill just like I'm sure, say, Michael Bolton is a talented singer, but hey, I just don't like what they play.

Reply To Post

18. by justanothersaxguy
              (58 posts)

19 years ago

What if I just don't like smooth jazz? ------------------------------------------------------------ That's exactly the same point that many of us have been trying to make from "the other side of this argument." You don't have to like smooth jazz. No one says you have to. But I have to say (and though I can't speak for all people who like smooth jazz, I can speak for some, because I've talked to others who feel as I do) that it seems many jazz fans who are Bird and Coltrane fans not only look down on the likes of Kenny G, but they also look down on anyone who is somehow "incapable," shall we say, of appreciating their inherent "better musicianship." I don't care that not everyone likes smooth jazz. But I don't look at Coltrane fans as unenlightened or uninformed because they don't appreciate what I do about my particular tastes of music. The problem is that it feels like they look down on me. (And from some of the posts I read in here, I seem to see a parallel : it appears to me that SOME of those who come accross to me this way are the same ones who call Cannonball saxophones "complete and utter crap." It seems to me to be the same narrowmindedness and attitude of superiority.) Smooth jazz artists don't trash classical jazz. But it seems all too often that classical jazz fans trash smooth jazz as "simple, unsophisticated" etc. It is absurd to say Kenny G is not a good musician. Anyone can argue, perhaps, he might not be the best. But BAD? Come on.

Reply To Post

19. by GordonGekko
              (27 posts)

19 years ago

I took lessons from an instructor that pretty much flat out said to me that Kenny G. and other WNUA artists (95.5FM Smooth Jazz-Chicago) suck. He was a big Coltrane and Bird guy- somewhat elitist. While he could play, his professionalism as a teacher was the worst and I fired his ass last Saturday. This guy was clearly cut from the same cloth as some of the others posting in this and other sax-related forums. Regards, GG

Reply To Post

20. by justanothersaxguy
              (58 posts)

19 years ago

Elitist? Yes. That is the term I was looking for. That is the distinct feeling I get, too.

Reply To Post

21. by sax_maniac
              (984 posts)

19 years ago

I'm in a jazz band comprised of more "seasoned" citizens, and they generally don't like contemporary jazz. So though I may not be the most thrilled to be playing "In The Mood" for the hundredth time, it's a crowd pleaser and audience enjoyment (whether it's live or in their car off a cassette tape) is as much a part of the performance as the fulfillment of the musicians that are playing. You think Kenny G gets lots of personal fulfillment out of playing those smooth jazz tunes? Probably not, though when there's an audience, most musicians make personal sacrifices to please the crowd. When someone hears me play soprano and says "Man! You sound like Kenny G!", I take that as a solid compliment though I'm not his greatest fan. It is elitist to think that music is all about the musicians.

Reply To Post

22. by justanothersaxguy
              (58 posts)

19 years ago

I would agree with pretty much everything you said, except when you asked, "You think Kenny G gets lots of personal fulfillment out of playing those smooth jazz tunes? Probably not..." I guess I'm not sure why you'd think that. I just assume he loves what he plays. Why would someone assume he doesn't? Just curious why you say that....

Reply To Post

23. by sax_maniac
              (984 posts)

19 years ago

Good catch. To me, it's just more of the same and I (perhaps wrongfully) assume he would get tired of it. In the same way, maybe Charlie Parker got tired of be-bop. Like the Beatles who got tired of each other (yeah, I know - it's Yoko's fault). Like an actor who ends up type-cast - wanting to pursue a dramatic role, but will always be seen as a slap-stick comedian. He is certainly good at what he does and continues to do it, so we can safely assume he does not enjoy performing other forms of music more than he enjoys the personal fulfillment (economic and otherwise) he attains with smooth jazz.

Reply To Post

24. by argonne
              (24 posts)

19 years ago

Just when I thought I was out.... I don't think people here are saying Kenny G sucks. Well maybe I should speak for myself... But my main point would be that there's no comparison between he and say Coltrane or Bird (since those are the other players everyone seems to compare him to). And the reason there's no comparison, is that they don't play the same kind of music! And I don't think any of them, Kenny G included, would claim that they are trying to. Its not Kenny G that bothers me. He dosen't suck. He can play whatever he wants and make as much money as he wants whether he likes what he plays or not. What bothers me, is the comparison to someone who's purpose in music is completely different. Why compare him with anyone else just because he happens to play a sax? And its not an elitest attitude to want to see jazz musicians who have spent their lives challenging the limits of creativity and improvisational ability to get a bit of recognition from the general public for their artistic contributions. So yes, some of us jazz fans have a bit of chip on our shoulder, but at least for me, its not an ego thing, and I don't say Kenny G sucks, I just wish there was a better understanding of the distinction between the two types of music. And it dosen't mean any of us have to like either one, just that we're comparing apples and oranges.

Reply To Post

25. by justanothersaxguy
              (58 posts)

19 years ago

And its not an elitest attitude ....... --------------------------------------------------------- No. I don't think you have an elitist attitude. But many do. You ARE only speaking for yourself. For example .... invocansax says, "he can sell a lot of albums. hes got the pulse of the fickle minded public. Pat Metheny was right in criticizing him for what he did to Lou Armstrongs 'what a wonderful world! Shame on you kenny for overdubbing yourself and putting yourself in the same world as lou armstrong!" YanagisawA-901 says, "the fact that kenny G has sold more records than any other sax player just goz to show your that the world doesnt know skill..... all kenny is..is media hype and average skill.." connsaxman_Jim says, "Music today is mostly digitally enhanced no-talent garbage created by the well-dressed "lemmings" who can't even take a ...t without first discussing it with their manager, publicist and producer!" and "I know you have the talent. Put down that damn soprano and pick up a tenor or alto and play some REAL jazz!" barimachine says, "taking a good instrument like a sax and playin crap so a bunch of uninformed people can buy his stuff pisses me off not so much him but that he plays and he makes money for sucking..." and "...we know that jazz is better intelligent music we better ourselfs and dont sell out like that" kneejerk52 says, "I guess it might ease the pain if the sellout at least would play some real stuff after he makes all that money. that way the crap would be like his day job What I hear so often is an elitist attitude, indeed. I've not heard Gerald Albright fans or Nelson Rangell fans criticising Coltrane or Bird, even if they don't like their music. They recoginze a level of skill in the older players, though they don't like or enjoy listening to the style that they played. But I do hear a lot of people criticizing modern players with comments like, "the fickle-minded public," "the world doesn't know skill," "kenny is just media hype and average skill," "music today is mostly no-talent garbage," "uninformed people," "we know that jazz is better, intelligent music - we better ourselves." The unfortunate part of this is that even if you put Kenny G aside as the benchmark to measure it by, and instead put someone like Gerald Albright or Warren Hill or Kirk Whalum out there as the benchmark instead, I would bet that THERE ARE STILL a lot of Coltrane and Bird fans who might be incapable of recognizing that these guys are extremely talented in their own right. It is not fair to knock the modern players' skill level on the basis of a style difference. But it IS elitist, and it IS what I see. The ironic thing is that I'd be willing to bet lots of money, if I could prove it, that Coltrane and Bird would never knock Kenny G.

Reply To Post

26. by sax_maniac
              (984 posts)

19 years ago

This horse has been dead a long time - let's quit beating it. Time to start a new thread so I stop getting those god-forsaken notification emails titled "Kenny G." And by the way - Michael Bolton is one of the best singers alive today. Sorry. That's not my opinion - just a proven fact. "I celebrate his entire catalogue..."

Reply To Post

27. by justanothersaxguy
              (58 posts)

19 years ago

yeah, ok. except, when you post, did you notice that little checkbox underneath, where it says, "notivy of responses?" If you just uncheck that box, you won't have to feel compelled to read them. (Or you could just delete the emails when they come up). Just a thought. (But the curiosity just kills, don't it?)

Reply To Post

28. by sax_maniac
              (984 posts)

19 years ago

This is my test to see if I can "undo" notification. Please, would someone please post something stupid about their most hated saxophone player?

Reply To Post

29. by justanothersaxguy
              (58 posts)

19 years ago

I used to play with this guy, Fred. He was not a bad sax player, but he used to pick his nose and chew it. That's a good thing to hate, isn't it? Is that stupid enough?

Reply To Post

30. by sax_maniac
              (984 posts)

19 years ago

Damn. Looks like you can't "uncheck" the box. There is a way to cancel notification on all emails, but I don't want to do that, so I'll just have to delete them individually. Ugh. I'd hate to be the tech cleaning out 'ol Fred's horn...

Reply To Post

31. by connsaxman_jim
              (2336 posts)

19 years ago

I played keyboard in a country-rock band with a guitar player/singer named Bill who looked just like Hank Williams Jr. He was a complete moron though, who used to chew tobacco, and I remember one time he got pissed off at the drummer and spit juice on his drums. Well, he got a drumstick up along side the head, and the drummer walked off the stage! I quit the following night. How embarrassing! No good musician will play with this guy anymore. Last I heard, he was playing country with a bunch of in-breed white trash hillbillies who can't carry a tune in a paper sack!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

32. by reedrage
              (21 posts)

19 years ago

I got here late and I don' know what this has to do with the G man who I think sounds like an insect but I too played guitar and 5 string banjo in a country/bluegrass band and the customers poured beer on our feet if they didn't like the song and our bass player threw up on stage but I made more in tips than I ever did playing saxophone.

Reply To Post