What do yall think of her?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by invocansax
    (27 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Mindi Abair

Oh shes hot, if i wasnt married..id, oh you were asking bout her playing? as long as she doesnt do a kenny g, shell be fine. shes fine huh?

Reply To Post

2. by sax_maniac
    (984 posts)

19 years ago

I'd be willing to change my last name to Abair...

Reply To Post

1. by Lampman
      (3 posts)

19 years ago

Mindi is our friend we met through selling our Sax lamps at the Berks Jazz Fest in Reading PA. Mindi chatted with me after the Christmas Show in reading with Peter White and Rick Braun and said how cool it was to see my add in the Smooth Jazz News. She said hey the Lampman ...I know him. She also has an awesome lady selling Art that is from LA too..Minerart.com...check out me at www.geocities.com/ilumnatunes for awesome gifts thanks and you gotta love Mindi Lampman Jake

Reply To Post

3. by kneejerk52
    (397 posts)

19 years ago

nice player wish somebody out there would get away from all the GROOVES and play somthing that sounds like a composed piece. most are way to over and over and over with the same boring crap.

Reply To Post

4. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

19 years ago

I listened to three songs by her. They all sounded alike. All fairly simple...but then again, sometimes simple isn't a bad thing. One song I listened to "Flirt" had some nice altissimo. She has a nice sound; good intonation. I'm more of a jazz/blues guy myself, but I was impressed.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by mark7
      (30 posts)

19 years ago

oh shes great! id still pick candy dulfer though! i just noticed that most women sax players play in the "smooth" jazz genre. But its good that the opposite sex has actually picked up what is commonly perceivedto be a mans instrument (don mean to sound sexist!) Carry on mindi and candy...

Reply To Post

1. by mrd
        (137 posts)

19 years ago

Warren Hill

Mindi seems accomplished, but in the modern genre, Hill seems to have it all. His technique is superb, and pick of music varies enough to not hear the same thing. I did notice that there was an inference from some of you about "smooth jazz" being repetitious. First, all music goes through trends, but at this junture, "coltrane" isn't going to sell to the public. But more importantly, the old jazz/blues was a repetitious as music can get. It ran its course after a few years with nothing new able to be resurrected. Smooth jazz has many angles, but it hits the natural vibrations of the ear and will probably be "THE" jazz for many decades. Some of the old Tenor players, like Houston Person from Etta James times still play this dark warm sound but they are capable of playing what they want to. In todays group, I truly can't find a better musician than Warren Hill. His horn Talks on every innuendo, and to me, that is what it is about. As Sanborn put it,, "He gets in the ZONE" with his timing, intonation, and character sound. Anyone else can have their own opinion, but you might want to take a long look.

Reply To Post

1. by mark7
          (30 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Warren Hill

hey bro, didnt mean to diss the smooth jazz genre, cause i wasnt. in fact i do have a cd by warren hill a couple by grover washington and a lot of spyro gyra, and ill agree with you he has got a wicked tone. it goes to show that not all berklee boys go on to play in the traditional jazz format. i would just like to see women play a little more traditional type of jazz, i mean if women like ella, sarah, and billie could do that vocally, im sure women intrumentalists could do that to. i just feel every genre produces mediocre acts and exceptional acts, regardless if its smooth, avant garde, cool, bop, hard bop, pop or blues. kenny garret had a "pop" leaning cd (happy people) a few years ago, check that out, a great cd. The CTI recordings are great too (stanley turrentine, etc). Ben webster still does it for me though, no matter what era whe're in! later bro!

Reply To Post

2. by mark7
          (30 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Warren Hill

oh i forgot, eric mariethal to! check out his work with chick corea, and his more pop leaning cds on GRP.

Reply To Post

3. by mrd
          (137 posts)

19 years ago

Warren Hill/No Problem

Hey Mark, no problem. Thanks for clarifying, but it is so interesting how varied all of are with what we enjoy, listen to most of the time, and never listen to. I got started to the Great Britain Jazz with incognito, which brought me to Maysa, there lead singer. From there, it led me to Jennifer Brown, Dina Carroll, Shante Moore, Khani Cole, and so on. So sometimes, I just want to hear them sing. When I heard Warren Hill, my ear was used to wanting to hear a certain sound, and after hearing his CDs, I realized how seductive his style is. I had never heard anyone "Talk" to me in everything he did. Then I listened to his choice of notes, intonation, and licks, and yet he took many typical songs, like the Commodores Easy, and made you go Wow... He just does it for me. However, I think Boney James is extremely talented, along with the music of Ken Navarro. So, we continue toward expanding more to what our ear wants to hear. I never got into the old jazz, even when I was taking lessons (Like decades ago), and remember when my teacher wanted me to try some Coleman Hawkins sheets, I just couldn't play it. It just wasn't what I heard. The old jazz played for other musicians, not for the pleasure of sound. It was a kick of who could play the fastest, the most dissident sound, and most unusual licks. People like Coltrane, Desmond, just don't excite me. I wish you well however, and whatever your opinion, if it lights your bulb, then keep it coming. And,, as we say on my bike sites, keep the rubber on the road.....

Reply To Post

4. by mark7
          (30 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Warren Hill/No Problem

incognito, thats a cool band! guys like patrick clahar, who plays with bill brufords earthworks and ed jones got their start from that group! down to the bone is another great group. i agree with you, its what gets you man! if its pop thats gets your motor running great! if smooth jazz is what makes you take notice, then good for you! im not one to diss other peoples musical preferences, coz its a matter of opinion and taste...its either good music or bad music. like what i said, every genre has produced its share of "jokes". maysa leak....hmmm, now thats a great voice, dont you think? her solo albums great! i guess there are some days or weeks that i listen to straight r n b (old school). then sometimes i can go on for days with bop(bird), even avant garde (i dig ivo perelman!) hell, i listen to classical too(Stravinsky). the only limitation one has is the one you give yourself! i guess with music you have to keep an open mind and feel it in your soul! i guess that was what coltrane was striving for...the release! all my respect bro!

Reply To Post

5. by mrd
          (137 posts)

19 years ago

You are right on Mark7

You hit it right on the nail. Your thinking produces a logical direction for music. My problem with this board, and others pertaining to one genre of any subject is that I seem to see an arrogance about one specific taste, or a limited view toward what is enjoyable. Techinque is fine if it is appreciated by either the person performing it, or others. Much of the negative human characteristics derive through a form of envy, or jealousy. In that light, the judgement toward those in the limelight, like the Kenny G saga here, are not objective. Especially when you see those posting that they can play better. I wonder who really cares except themselves. Frankly, we are all trying to play better than we did the day before. But that is competition within ourselves, and positive. So, in the creative fields, I didn't expect to see the pettiness that I have seen here at times. So, as a compliment to your thoughts, thanks.

Reply To Post