Saxophone Forum

by jazzdude482
(38 posts)
19 years ago

hello

hey ppl , im new to this forum and ive been playin alto for 2 years and tenor for 2 years and counting but i still dont know how to get that jazzy sound ... do i have to get one of those pricy mouthpeices that are $120 or what?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by eman19
    (131 posts)

19 years ago

Re: hello

Best thing to do is listen to the jazz greats that you love, and imitate them. They say that sometimes your sound comes from not being able to perfectly imitate that of your hero's.

Reply To Post

2. by tsax_player
    (76 posts)

19 years ago

Eman is right on with listening. Your equipment is important, but knowing what to sound like is more important than anything. Joe Henderson played an old C* with the bulb on the end almost his whole life, and he is one of the most influencial jazz saxophonist ever. Don't try to take in too much at once. Pick a player you really like and solely listen to him for a week or two. This gets you familiar with that artists sound and in turn will allow you to imitate it better. Eventually you will want to buy a new piece. I am sure you have heard of all of these but here they are anyway, otto link, meyer(hard rubber not there metal), brilhart(ebolin), peter ponzol, dukoff.......... Try out as many pieces as you can, and take someone who knows the music with you (teacher...) so you can get their oppinion. Good Luck, and Have Fun!

Reply To Post

1. by jazzdude482
      (38 posts)

19 years ago

thx for the tips

Reply To Post

1. by invocansax
        (27 posts)

19 years ago

Hi guys, ive been playing the sax now for 16 yrs. i play tenor and alto..very lousy on soprano:) ive done some pro work, though ive kinda toned down on that now, since i got married, got a job and living the suburban life..still doing some session work, but i miss the dark, smoky bars with my draft beer, and my beer guzzling friends...:)

Reply To Post

1. by jazzdude482
          (38 posts)

19 years ago

sounds interesting invocansax....yeah, i just got this really pricy mouthpeice...(actually my skool paid for it for about more than $100) and well its a Henri Selmer Paris hard rubber mouth piece and i just wanted to know what its potential can be...thx

Reply To Post

2. by jazzdude482
          (38 posts)

19 years ago

nevermind that......i was listening to a Sonny Rollins cd and well how do u get that "wah wah wah" vibrato sound

Reply To Post

3. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Hook your sax mic to a wah pedal. I tried playing mine through my organ Leslie. It sounds like complete CRAP if you really want to know.....but I had to try it! It's all technique. There are different methods of vibrato. Most people like the jaw technique I have learned from recent posts. Personally I HATE it! I prefer the diaphragm method. There are growling techniques also that are useful for jazz and blues. You don't have to spend a ton of money on your set-up but you may want to try a different mouthpiece and ligature. A great piece that won't break you is the Rico Royal graftonite mouthpieces. They're under $20, but a great mouthpiece. I'd go with a Rovner ligature. You can buy a nice Otto Link metal for under $120 if you shop around. Try www.giardinelli.com.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

4. by jazzdude482
          (38 posts)

19 years ago

thx for the tip

Reply To Post