Saxophone Forum

by as
(1 post)
19 years ago

Sax MouthPieces

Hi guyz, this is kinda a stupid question. Im looking for a specific mouthpiece which i saw few great players using. Its an hardrubber mouthpiece but its end is made of metal. if anyone knows what im talking about please reply ASAP.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by sax_maniac
    (984 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Sax MouthPieces

What's that they say about "no stupid questions"? Do you know if it's modern or vintage? I've got an old Holton alto mouthpiece that has a metal facing, table, and chamber but hard rubber around the rest of the outside. The metal shows itself at the base of the mouthpiece as well. A rather closed facing - more classical than jazz though I could open it up some if someone really wanted it. Shoot me an email if you want me to take pictures.

Reply To Post

2. by sax_maniac
    (984 posts)

19 years ago

What's that they say about "no stupid questions"? Do you know if it's modern or vintage? I've got an old Holton alto mouthpiece that has a metal facing, table, and chamber but hard rubber around the rest of the outside. The metal shows itself at the base of the mouthpiece as well. A rather closed facing - more classical than jazz though I could open it up some if someone really wanted it. Shoot me an email if you want me to take pictures.

Reply To Post

1. by barimachine
      (323 posts)

19 years ago

what players did you see using it? but the important question is without knowing anything about this mouthpiece why do u so suddenly want one?

Reply To Post

3. by Curt G.
    (8 posts)

19 years ago

Lebayle makes a HR and wood mpc that has a metal ring on the shank. I think the BARI company made a mpc that had this also. I've never tried either, but I've heard some really good things about the Lebayle pieces. Not cheap, but if it gets you the sound you want, it's worth it.

Reply To Post

4. by Curt G.
    (8 posts)

19 years ago

Check this out: www.lebayle.com/page2.html

Reply To Post

5. by aravaioli
    (24 posts)

19 years ago

I own a Otto Link metal new NY series #7* (with 2.5 Vandoren ZZ reeds) and it's by far the best mouthpiece I have tried. Outperforms my Otto Link STM #7 which I still like but find much less controllable (I play this with Vandoren blue box 2.5). Far outperforms also my metal Berg Larsen 105/2 SMS which I find extremely "reed picky" and not as rich in sound. Amazingly enough, the NY Otto Link performs very well also on cheap saxophone. My spare student sax is as cheap as it could be and still doesn't sound so bad with it.

Reply To Post

1. by mcorrea
      (25 posts)

19 years ago

Morgan Excalibur mouthpieces are hard rubber with a metal shank band at the end like you're describing. I have one for tenor and one for alto and I think these are among the absolute best values in the mouthpiece world today. They run about $130, depending on where you buy from and what kind of horn you're buying for (they're only available for alto and tenor). They have a very flexible sound and are very free-blowing. Ralph Morgan is a master and these mouthpieces are of the highest quality. They may not be everyone's absolute favorite mouthpiece but they are the only fully hand-faced pieces available in this price range (excepting other Morgan models). When i saw Marcus Strickland playing with Tom Harrell in NYC last sumer, he played what looked to be like an Excalibur, but it could've been something else that I'm not aware of. Other than that, I don't know who plays or endorses these pieces, but if you're still building your chops up, this is definitely a no-excuses mouthpiece.

Reply To Post