Saxophone Forum

by NewSaxCity
(4 posts)
8 years ago

Thoughts on Gretsch Saxophones

I was wondering how some of you feel about Gretsch Saxophone's. I'm going to be buying my first saxophone pretty soon. I'm likely going to go with a used student model and I'm wondering which direction I should go in. I've already read the buyers guide. I don't think it mentioned anything about Gretsch's. What do any of you think? I found a student model for $650.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Saxquest
    (420 posts)

8 years ago

Re: Thoughts on Gretsch Saxophones

There are better saxophones to be had for $650 than Gretsch. I would recommend a used American student model saxophone. The best for my money is a King 613 alto or 615 tenor. But also consider Buescher Aristocrats from the 70's and before, Selmer Bundy II, and the Japan made Yamaha 23. These are all generally better saxophones than Gretsch.

That being said, I recommend taking any saxophone to your local music store and having it looked over by a qualified repair technician before committing to purchase. You don't want to spend $650 and then find out it needs a $500 overhaul. Best of LucK!!

Cheers,
         Mark Overton
         www.saxquest.com

Reply To Post

1. by NewSaxCity
      (4 posts)

8 years ago

Re: Thoughts on Gretsch Saxophones

That's funny you say that, because I actually saw it on your site! Did not expect you to reply, ha ha! Anyway I've been looking on eBay as well. I'll see if I can find a King. Thanks.

Reply To Post