Saxophone Forum

by saxmaniac
(19 posts)
19 years ago

Classical Players u DONT LIKE

The more I listen to classical sax players, the more I find that there are some players that I really hate. For example, I cant stand harvey pittel. in "moving along" I'd say he butchers the creston sonata. his vibrato is corny and contrived, and his phrasing/tempo isn't much different. I'm sure my views (and this thread in general) will rouse some passions but remember that all we have to offer is Opinions, so don't get angry is harvey pittel is your fav sax player.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by jamterry
    (573 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Classical Players u DONT LIKE

my favorite player is fred hemke. i had a chance to study with him for a summer. his tone was to die for. that's when i knew i wanted a Marl VI horn

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

2. by hselmer9966
    (31 posts)

19 years ago

I know that it will probably go against the cardinal rule, but I cant stand listening to Marcel Mule. It seems like he played some songs as fast as he could, as if he was showing his technical skills more than expressing what the music really was. His vibrato(which has brought up much controversy in this site) too me is way to controlled. Vibrato is an expressive skill to be used oddly enough, in an expressive way. There is to be different depth and speed to vibrato according to the music it is played with, but it was the exact same with him no matter what, and he obviously couldnt understand the importance of a good strait tone. In all the recordings Ive heard he couldnt play any note shorter than eigth note w/o vibrato. That gets really annoying after awhile too. So to me Marcel Mule was just not as good as everyone says, yes he ushered in classical saxophone, but he is not the greatest saxophonist. Maybe someone like Joe Lulloff or Don Sinta, those are probably the 2 greatest Classical saxophonist today(only in my opinion, in case someone wants to yell at me). And there are so many other greats, but thats not the topic.

Reply To Post

1. by phathorn
      (165 posts)

19 years ago

I think Rascher also used to go nuts with altissimo often at the expense of musicality. Sinta and Lulloff are both great. However, Tim McCallister, Allen Rippe, Grif Campbell, Otis Murphy, Matt Levy, Tamiur Sullivan, etc are also great

Reply To Post

1. by hselmer9966
        (31 posts)

19 years ago

I agree Rascher did go for more flash when it came to altissimo, and also Tim McCallister is one of the leading saxophonist out there right now, and Tamiur has got one of the nicest tones, its so mellow and rich. But I wouldnt go out there saying that Rascher is bad, even though thats what this forum is about. Im not a big fan of Londeix either, he has certain ways he wants music played and he doesnt except anything else, and that makes me mad. To be a musician you have to be able to accept individuality, which he doesnt.

Reply To Post

1. by phathorn
          (165 posts)

19 years ago

to be clear, never said that rascher was bad...just that he liked showing off his range sometimes at the expense of musicality, IMHO.

Reply To Post

2. by hselmer9966
          (31 posts)

19 years ago

sorry bout that. misunderstanding. peace out.

Reply To Post

3. by SaxandSound
          (3 posts)

19 years ago

I don't care for Eugene Rousseau. It seems like he is one of the most over-recorded saxophonists while great musicians like Don Sinta just don't record. Despite the fact that hes from a French school of thought, his interpretations make for very boring performances. Also, I don't like Lynn Klock's tone or harsh articulations.

Reply To Post

4. by rockhard
          (13 posts)

19 years ago

Sohre Rabbari (or something) That Iranian girl sure can't play Glazounov...

Reply To Post

5. by skriggety
          (4 posts)

19 years ago

Amen on that Sohre Rabbari recording. I find it interesting that with the complete saturation of DMA level performers in the world, that it's still difficult to find good recordings of standard repertoire. Speaking of the Glazounov, John Harle's Glazounov is decent-Has anybody listened to Lawrence Gwozdz' Glazounov? To my ears, it's one of the most god-awful saxophone travesties around. And what's everyone's fascination with Sinta and hatred of Eugene Rousseau? I know Sinta's put out great students like Tim McAllister, but Otis Murphy and Kenneth Tse have both come out of Rousseau's studio recently and play about as well as anybody in the country. If you're looking for something new, you should check out Scott Turpen- he's younger, a University of Georgia grad, and his tone is fantastic.

Reply To Post

6. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

I don't like ANY of them! (Bird Lives)

Reply To Post Yahoo!