Saxophone Forum

by knmusic
(4 posts)
19 years ago

Band Director in need of advice

I am a middle school band director and I want to get some info on equipment. I have been reading a lot about equipment and such on the forum and I have a few questions. I know that the Rovner Dark is great for classical playing, but I have a kid that is incredible and has a gorgeous sound and I was looking for a better mouthpiece and ligature. I have decided on a Rascher Mouthpiece and they suggest the Rovner also, but I noticed olegiatures in a few discussions and looked up the prices. Are they really that much better than the Rovners for 4 times the price. If so I can talk my kid into getting one, but I wanted to be sure first. Or is there another ligature that will allow the reed to vibrate and have a very dark sound that is just as good? Also, I have a Jazz Band and I have all my saxes playing on Meyer's, but I tried the Bonade reversible ligature because I don't want as dark a sound in Jazz as the Rovner, but I am having problems with them slipping. Does anyone have any suggestions on What ligature would be appropriate for Jazz Playing with the Meyer. Thanks.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Band Director in need of advice

I have a Meyer 7 piece for tenor that I use occasionally with a Rovner Eddie Daniels ligature and it works fine. I really prefer the Otto Link Super Tone Master to the Meyer piece though. It has a warmer, fuller sound. I would look into Rovner's new Evo ligature to go with your Rasher mouthpiece.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by caduceus02
    (6 posts)

19 years ago

Man, you're directing a MIDDLE SCHOOL jazz band and you're worried about what ligatures your sax players are using?! Get some perspective! I guarantee you that most, if not all, of your sax players have the embouchure of a limp noodle that no ligature in the world will compensate for. I'd suggest you throw some of that ligature scratch towards some good lessons for your kids! Equipment doesn't make the player! Talent, skill, practice and good training do! Cannonball could have created more swing on a broomstick than any of us can do on our multi-thousand dollar set-ups.

Reply To Post AIM

1. by saxman0317
      (53 posts)

19 years ago

Hey watch what you are saying there. I happen to be one of those "limp noodle embochure that no liguture in the world can fix" middle school students! Thats just plain geneeralizing, many of the ppl i happen to play with outside of school i can keep right up with. There a few of us that happen to be very good actually. One community band i play in i have actually gotten first tenor out of 4 other guys that have been playing for 20+ yrs!!! It doesnt matter how old you are, you can still be good, and not all of us are limp noodles! I speak for any middle school student here to say that we resent that.

Reply To Post AIM

2. by barimachine
      (323 posts)

19 years ago

www.alexhan.com that kid has been playing professionally since he was in middle school. basically im just saying thats harsh encourage the kid etify him now, and maybe youll get him to try harder with a shiny lig and what not and the kid could turn out good, just dont go crazy. although i do sort of agree with you i know an 8th grader *well he was* with a mark VI... but the kid was actually good haha, and in the rich part of where i live all the middle school honors kids had these pro saxes with brand new fancy finishes and fancy mouthpieces... it was sickening... o yea and you can find olegatures for really cheap if you just dont go to big stores just look around like ebay and such, i know a man i where i can get em for 15 bucks. ...maybe i should do that... huh

Reply To Post

3. by definition
      (963 posts)

19 years ago

Caduceus said it well, this is Middle school we're talkin; High school like i teach, is another story with equipment. But if you REALLY still want to fuss with equipment, go with a standard Selmer metal 2 screw lig, it will brighten the mouthpiece where the rovner wont(the rov. dark lig removes overtones). If you really wanted to get into it more, not everyone is gonna sound there best on a Meyer, and my students try different mouthpieces to see which one fits them best, wether it is a brilhart, a claude lakey, a berg, etc. Going back to middle school though, they arent ready for that kind of attention to setup. At that point, it should for the most part be okay to still be play the mouthpiece that comes with the horn!! In my school district, we dont suggest any changes in setup really untill the 9th grade, unless A) the student is really promising and talented or B) they are playing something innapropriate for them(for example they try and play something in a 120 facing)

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Middle school band? Oh.....I missed that. I agree. I would agree that equipment is the least of your worries right now, and I would avoid making too many unnecessary changes. I would recommend that your students start out with a Selmer C* 80 mouthpiece with the standard 2 screw Selmer ligature, or perhaps the Rovner EVO lig. This mouthpiece is one of the easiest to play and is ideal for a beginner who is just developing his or her embochure. I would not recommend a metal mouthpiece for anything other than jazz band.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by definition
          (963 posts)

19 years ago

C8 is good, but if you want everyone on the same setup, I suggest you go with C** for tenor, I think that C* is too closed on tenor, even for beginning students

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by knmusic
        (4 posts)

19 years ago

I know that it is middle school jazz band, but these are auditioned and my very best players in the group. My altos make the top in the district bands and county bands. I understand that equipment does not make the player, but I am also of the school of thought that if you don't give the students the proper equipment it can lead to frustration. If they already have the proper embouchure then I change their equipment it makes a very big difference. I was just asking which was better and what the thought was on the ligatures out there. Also, I was asking for my husband he has an award winning high school jazz band and concert band that I feed into and we are trying to build the programs.

Reply To Post

1. by jromain
          (20 posts)

19 years ago

Some will no doubt disagree, but I think putting your students on Rascher mpcs is putting them on the wrong path. It is an exceedingly dark (dare I say, tubby) mouthpiece that is the piece of choice of a vocal minority of players, but a minority nonetheless. It will make switching back and forth to a jazz mouthpiece a shock, to say the least. I would suggest for concert band, the Selmer S-80 C* or C**, S-90 180 or 190, or Vandoren Optimum AL3 or AL4. These all work well with modern instruments and strike a balance between blendable warmth and soloistic projection. Choice of ligature won't make an audible difference--more about how it feels to the player. You can't go wrong with the standard Selmer 2-screw lig. For jazz, Meyer 5M or 6M is a good middle-of-the-road alto mp. Link Super Tone Master or Tone Edge (rubber) in a 6 or 6* facing is similarily controllable and appropriate for jazz. In short, avoid extremes (and the Rascher is extreme in my opinion), and don't get sucked into equipment fads or marketing hype. Best thing you can do is set these kids up for private lessons with players that you respect, and who respect what you are trying to do. My two cents. JR

Reply To Post

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
            (767 posts)

19 years ago

I agree with jromain. Raschers/Buescher mouthpieces are quite niche as they appeal to chamber and small ensemble players for mostly classical work. They also tend to be very closed for use with quite hard reeds. I have a Buescher for alto (which are similar or identical to the Raschers) and it plays very small and stuffy with a lot of resistance. Also, these mouthpieces were designed to work on horns who's bore is quite different from a modern horn's, so tuning could suffer while using them. What made you come to the decision to use the Rascher, knmusic? I'd personally take the student somewhere that carries a number of mouthpieces and let them try any of the suggested ones allready given.

Reply To Post

2. by knmusic
            (4 posts)

19 years ago

Well, actually two things made me decide on Rascher's. My professor from college was big on them and two of my friends that are band directors in the state are sax players and both play on Raschers and suggested them. One of them is a high school band director and the other is a middle school band director. They both swear by the Rascher mouthpieces, but I have been taught the german school of thought on playing the sax. I really like the warm dark sound instead of the bright sound, except in jazz I like them to be a little brighter which is why I went with the Meyer 6 for the jazz players. May friends have been very outspoken against the 80 series C* mouthpiece, but I haven't tried Vandoren's yet for sax, just for the clarinet and they work great for them. The reason I am asking is because the music company that works with my school is getting ready to do a mouthpiece clinic where the kids can try out a few mouthpieces and we can together decide on which one is best for them. They are going to send the mouthpieces that I request and I wanted a few options for mouthpieces and ligatures.

Reply To Post

3. by tenor562
            (297 posts)

19 years ago

I'm a middle school student, and it really isn't the equipment that makes you better either. However, if they're talented, some nice mouthpieces and ligatures are definitely a plus. My band teacher doesn't really care what we use, it's more of a choice for us, but it probably could make us better. A lot of really talented players still use their standard setup, but I know a few players who are really really good, and they have their own really unique setup that they go by. That mouthpiece clinic sounds awesome, because usually there's nowhere to try them in the area. Let your students go on their own to websites like this and they can find what mouthpieces interest them most, and try them for themselves. The C*'s aren't that bad, my teacher likes them a lot, and I agree with jromain about the Rascher thing. Good Luck with it. -tenor562

Reply To Post

4. by connsaxman_jim
            (2336 posts)

19 years ago

How could anyone not like the Selmer S-80? It's one of the best mouthpieces for alto I have found, and i might even add that I am NOT a Selmer fan! I use the S-80 C* with a Rovner dark ligature and a 2 1/2 reed. It's a great combination.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

5. by johnsonfromwisconsin
            (767 posts)

19 years ago

-------------------------------------------------------------- How could anyone not like the Selmer S-80? It's one of the best mouthpieces for alto I have found, and i might even add that I am NOT a Selmer fan! I use the S-80 C* with a Rovner dark ligature and a 2 1/2 reed. It's a great combination. ----------------------------------------------------------------- Mouthpieces are always a matter of preference, but there are a few technical points against the S-80, the most famous of which is the Square Chamber that lead to Ralph Morgan leaving Selmer to forward his own company and designs. According to him and others, the square chamber causes problematic intonation and is intuitive against the design of the saxophone. I like the S-80, but I personally notice something else wrong with it: the rails are quite thick and the window is small. IIRC, this ends up causing loss of projection

Reply To Post

6. by connsaxman_jim
            (2336 posts)

19 years ago

"The square chamber causes problematic intonation and is intuitive against the design of the saxophone." "The rails are quite thick and the window is small. IIRC, this ends up causing loss of projection." -------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hmm interesting. I tried an S-80 C* recently because I had heard from a friend that they were a great mouthpiece. I really like the vintage Selmer soloist mouthpiece I have. The S-80 sounded so good on my 6M I had to buy it! (I only have about 30 mouthpieces laying around) The S-80 has a really nice tone that is well suited for just about any kind of music. It's just the sound I was looking for; not too bright, not too mellow. I haven't experienced any intonation problems with the piece at all, in fact, the intonation is better with the Selmer s 80 than some of the other pieces. I have noticed that the horn doesn't project like it does with my old Steelay mouthpiece or the Otto Link Super Tone Master, which is a little too much for some applications, but I mic my sax anyway. My band-mates agree that the S-80 sounds the best on the alto. Aside from the sound, this mouthpiece is very comfortable and very easy to play. I like the C* because sometimes I do prefer a harder reed. I must say, I REALLY like this mouthpiece!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

7. by mintyfreshjam
            (48 posts)

19 years ago

All of this talk about equpiment is great, but equipment doesn't make the player. Practice and a good lesson teacher are what make the player. If your kids are in middle school, they need to worry about how they sound and how to master the horn. Not what mouthpiece they should play on. I personally don't think that jazz bands should be in the middle schools because jazz is much more complex than legit and takes a much greater understanding of the horn to be able to play it. However, my view on whether or not jazz should be in middle schools isn't the point. The point is that you should be worrying about their abilities on the saxophone before you go and have them buy all this equipment that they probably won't use when they do create a quality jazz tone.

Reply To Post