Saxophone Forum

by StratmanBaze
(61 posts)
19 years ago

hey- I'm new, would like some advice as to where to start

hey all My name is Bassil and I am 15 years old. I am the first chair sax player at my highschool. My parents got me a Selmer Reference 54 Tenor Sax because I love playing very much and I like jazz. I want to play so much but I guess I don't know where to start. I listen to Dave Brubeck, John Coltrane, Ray Charles, and MIchael Brecker. Does anyone have any advice? By the way, my teacher is recommending that I get a new mouthpiece in place of the Selmer C* i got know. Do the Dukoff mouthpieces- esp. the X and S chambers- have a baffle of 2 or 3? I am asking this because I like sax sounds that have baffles. Thanks in advance.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by StevenHartman
    (1 post)

19 years ago

Re: hey- I'm new, would like some advice as to where to start

Finding the right mouthpiece is something you should do with your teacher. You want a mouthpiece you can control but also a mouthpiece with a sound you like. You will also have to consider the reed and ligature, which also influence the sound and note production and tonality.

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
      (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Re: hey- I'm new, would like some advice as to where to start

I would recommend that you try a few different mouth pieces to find the one that works best with you and your horn. some horns respond better to certain mouth pieces than others. There's a Dukoff metal piece that I have seen many Selmer players use, and it really makes a Mk VI or a Reference stand out, but I haven't a clue what model it is. I use a vintage Otto Link Super Tone Master that's about 40 years old, or a Meyer 7 for jazz on my 10M.

Reply To Post Yahoo!