Saxophone Forum

by pwatson
(1 post)
19 years ago

Alto conn gold pearl artist engraving made for lafleurLondon

HI if anyone can give me information about my recently acquired Alto conn number M252160 gold pearl keys artist engraving made forJ R LafleurLondon 8-10 Denmom street London W1. It is in extreemly good condition and plays brilliantly and still has the original Pads (I think)Don beeson Gordon stamped on them. There are no repairs or dents. A little mottling on the neck joint area and inside the bell. Oh...it is has an underslung octive button on the neck. I think the case is original (plush with no smell). well that is it.. can someone help me with more information about this sax as to its history and value?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by definition
    (963 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Alto conn gold pearl artist engraving made for lafleurLondon

www.saxpics.com Look at the Conn sections, Pete Hales (sax historian) has a wealth of information, and detailed pictures you can compare too. That is a 50s Conn 6M you have I believe though

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by connsaxman_jim
      (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Alto conn gold pearl artist engraving made for lafleurLondon

It's a transitional model actually, from 1932. Probably more like a 6M than a Chu Berry. There was a lot of experimentation during this period, not only with keywork and design, but also different types of finishes, etc. It is an artist model, probably made specifically forJ R Lafleur, of London. I'm not familiar with that name, but my guess is that he was an artist of the time and may have contributed to the design of the horn. In any case, this sounds like a very interesting horn, and probably a very valuable example as well. It's not uncommon to see Artist series horns from that era sell for $3500 or more, and I would say that yours is probably worth all of that.

Reply To Post Yahoo!