Saxophone Forum

by PIP
(29 posts)
19 years ago

Could someone break it down for me?

Hi! I am an all-state alto saxophonist playing on a 98 Knight series cannonball I purchased in 7th grade for $3000 to $4000. I have pretty much reached the limit of what this horn can do. I have heard that vintage may be the way to go to get a new horn but I'm all confused. I know next to nothing about vintage horns and am afraid of getting ripped off like I did on my cannonball. Could someone break down the art of purchasing vintage saxes as well as suggest a horn I could get for $3000 to $4000. Also, could you tell me what things to look for in it to make sure it will be in playable condition after an overhaul?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by morandjp
    (10 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Could someone break it down for me?

go to saxophone.org This guy has a whole section on how to select a new saxophone, with illustrations and everything... It'll get your feet wet.

Reply To Post

1. by definition
      (963 posts)

19 years ago

Go to a few stores with a large selection. Play as many models as you can, and buy the model that plays the way you want it too.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

19 years ago

I would look to find a music store near you that sells both new and vintage saxophones and try a few on for size. You might prefer a King Zephyr to a Conn 10M tenor/6M alto, or a Buescher Aristocrate to a Selmer Mk VI. It's all a matter of preference. If you like the Big Bell Global series, I would suggest either a Conn 10M/6M or New Wonder Series II (Chu Berry), Buescher Aristocrate (pre 1963, Top Hat & Cane or Big B) or a King Zephyr or Super 20. If you're considering a new horn, I would look at the Keilwerth SX-90 or SX-90R (rolled tone holes), B & S Medussa, or the Yamaha Custom Z series.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by sonnyrollins57
      (17 posts)

19 years ago

If your looking for a good vintage horn you should check out the selmer balance action,selmer mark VI ,selmer model 26,Martin Handcrafts,Martin commitees,buescher Big B aristocrat,Top Hat cane,king Super 20 Silver sonic or the regular king super 20,King Zephry from the 40's to 50's maybe 60's,and check out the conn 6m, and the Buffet Super Dynaction,and the conn 26m conquer.

Reply To Post