Saxophone Forum

by jazzdude482
(38 posts)
19 years ago

vibrato

When i was listening to one of my jazz cds i was wondering how to get that "wah wah wah" vibrato sound thx

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Er087
    (7 posts)

19 years ago

Re: vibrato

basically you just move your jaw up and down. to get different types of vibrato you change how deep the movements are and how fast you do them. that "wah wah wah" vibrato is probably a deeper vibrato, so you would have to make bigger jaw movements than you might otherwise do.

Reply To Post AIM

1. by morandjp
      (10 posts)

19 years ago

in jazz, traditionally the vibrato starts and fades out, where as in legit, the tone is straight and then the vibrato starts.

Reply To Post

1. by jazzdude482
        (38 posts)

19 years ago

how do you fade out vibrato because ive been having problems with that and when doing vibrato is it ok if the pitch sometimes drops?

Reply To Post

1. by Er087
          (7 posts)

19 years ago

to fade out just move your jaw slower as you get quiter. and the type of music you're playing dictates if it's okay if the pitch drops. if you're playing classical then it's not okay for the pitch to drop, but jazz is more open-ended. it would be okay for the pitch to drop during vibrato at times. you could even use it as a type of "special effect"

Reply To Post AIM

2. by jazzdude482
          (38 posts)

19 years ago

thx

Reply To Post