Saxophone Forum

by PIP
(29 posts)
19 years ago

From tenor to bari in 3 days?

In our jazz band I have just been notified that I need to switch from tenor to bari for 3 concerts due to a sudden emergency from our primary bari player. The problem is that the first of the performances is in 3 days. I have never played bari before. Any advice on how to do this quickly???????

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Gumptious
    (40 posts)

19 years ago

Re: From tenor to bari in 3 days?

well...the fingerings are the same obviously so just practice practice practice. its kind of a tough thing for your director to give you, i could never switch from my alto to a tenor because when i play a G on alto, on tenor it would sound completely different and im not talented enough to be able to do that. im used to hearing the same pitch on bari and alto so for me playing tenor is hard, it doesn't feel or sound right to me as its in a different concert pitch.

Reply To Post

1. by saxman0317
      (53 posts)

19 years ago

I know how you feel, i had basicall the same problem. But like he said, everything but the key and size are the same, but the bari is alot eaiser to switch to than from alto to tenor. Really, the only hard part is that it will take alot more air, thats about it. If its nothing thats not that hard or many longtones, then you will be fine, just as long as you dont do the one thing i learned the hard way.........dont play alto, then tenor, then bari, then alto again, than switch to jazz mouth peices and play that order again in one concert......its not that pleasent.

Reply To Post AIM

1. by SaxMan88
        (318 posts)

19 years ago

I played nuttin but alto since the 5th grade. In my 8th grade year, director walks up to me and says, "Guess what? You're playing bari this year at county band." I about jumped out of my seat. I'm not sure what my reaction was. I wasn't mad or discouraged. I think I actually wanted to do bari. That afternoon I went down to the bandroom and there was the case. It was like one of those scenes where it was in a sunbeam in the divine kingdom. The director wasn't there, but he left a note to open it, put it together, and fart around with it. I had a ball! And since then I've been playin bari in regular band. Kinda boring now, but the experience is fun. The thing that hit me the most as far as being hard, was standing out. It's kinda weird being the only one doing your thing and when I first started omg. I also was asked to bari in our Wind Ensemble for the Spring Concert. Talk about pressure. If ya farted on it (tried to play a low note and just *pfftt note pfftt*) the director flipped out on ya. So...that was another thing. But once ya get over two of those issues, you got clear sailing. I hope the experience was good for you. Happy saxophoning!

Reply To Post