Saxophone Forum

by Sunyveil
(11 posts)
19 years ago

Sax quartet

I'm a freshman in high school, and I was thinking of starting a sax quartet. I have some friends that are pretty good players, but nowhere near pro or anything. We have two people that can play alto and tenor, one that can play tenor or bari, and one alto only, so I figure if I learn soprano we can be all set. The problem is that 1) is it really practical to start a quartet this early and 2) the alto only player wants to start playing trumpet, even though he's really good at alto. What should I do? thanks in advance

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by jusjop
    (5 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Sax quartet

I play alto in a quartet we formed at my high school. I am a junior and so is the soprano player. The tenro and bari are sophmores. We play grade 7 peices for solo and ensemble and we just recently starting playing gigs for weddings. It's not to early, just dont bite off more than you can chew (i.e. dont play anything to far above your level of playing) Also, the more your quartet plays together the better you will get over time. Another very important component to having a succesful quartet is choosing dedicated players. Pick people who you know will want to get together on weekends for a good rehearsal.

Reply To Post AIM

2. by Spike
    (248 posts)

19 years ago

Yeah, go for it! It sounds like you guys can be very flexible on instrumentation(this is important for a sax quartet,) and some drive. You should, however, be prepared to get some music(unless you know someone with a nice saxquartet library^_^.) Don't try to get it free online or something, that can be very frusturating(and ILLEGAL.) Instead, be prepared to spend $20-$30 a chart. You can try to split the cost up between the members of the group, but this might make for hassles at the end. You could also try your hand at composing for sax quartet; it's fun. then you can transcribe. for 4 parts, this can be a long process, but very good for developing as a musician. Lastly(the way my last quartet worked^_^) you can act like a jam session. Come up with a bass line, chrod structure(or at least a key) and a simple melody, then just play around with it untill you like what you have. as for picking up trumpet: let him/her go for it, but make sure they keep up with alto. Sax is more fun, as anyone who plays both can testify(i know some trumpet is going to yell at me for that, hehe)

Reply To Post

1. by karebear1012
      (395 posts)

19 years ago

hey sunnyveil! I was reading your profile....i'm in the same position as you...my director wont let me play the alto in band because he wants me to stay on trumpet. As for starting a sax quartet, your school prolly has tons of music lying around. Are you in jazz band? I'm a freshman in HS too, but its really hard for me to rise above the guys while playing a male-dominated instrument... when i got lead in jazz band i was totally shocked and now a lotta people hate me... for music, maybe go to www.jwpepper.com or transcribe. that could be pretty fun..

Reply To Post

1. by jusjop
        (5 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Transcribing

I transcribe most of the music for my quartet. Im currently transcribing Canon in D by Pachebel. its written for string quartet so i listen to it and put it on finale. Its saves money and i get to have fun

Reply To Post AIM

2. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Kara, Although some of the guys might be a little intimidated because you're better on sax then they are, I'm sure there are a few that are thinking....damn, she's good...and cute too! There's just something sexy about a chick with a saxophone! Take Mindi and Candy, for example. I see you've decided to sell the Bruno :( So it ended up needing a fair amount of work huh? I'm sure someone will buy it. Good Luck!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by karebear1012
          (395 posts)

19 years ago

thanks Jim ..=) yeah, i think i'll wait till i'm older to get a sax that desperately needs repair. I hope someone will see charm in it and try to fix it up. so i think i just got into this all state high school marching band!!! I"m so excited becuase this is my first official paying job! Over the summer we do gigs for the Red Sox and government stuff and the Boston Pops opening....things like that! With the money I earn I'll be able to get a Selmer Reference too, which i'm really excited about. ~Kara

Reply To Post

2. by KSsaxophone
          (57 posts)

19 years ago

Wow, at our school, I am the 1 of only 2 male alto players. There are 4 other females that play it. But then, we don't have a single female tenor or bari player, so I guess it kinda evens out.

Reply To Post

3. by karebear1012
          (395 posts)

19 years ago

That's really cool! Yeah, in 8th grade I was the only girl (2nd trumpet), and this year I'm one of 2 girls (me and the girl who plays 2nd alto too). What I dont like about my director tho is he changes your instrument without even asking...like he'll put a trumpet player on french horn, or a sax player on alto clarinet. It drives me crazy because there's no point in buying a really nice horn if you cant even play it...

Reply To Post

4. by karebear1012
          (395 posts)

19 years ago

there are tons of alto players at my school...but i'm the only girl who tried out for districts and other bands like that. The other girls who play alto don't seem to do it because they want too....i think their parents make them. so where are you froM?

Reply To Post

5. by barimachine
          (323 posts)

19 years ago

i guess we have alot of girl sax players... but only 1 in jazz band and only 2 girls in jazz band in general kara whats this state deally your in theyre paying you! thats awesome anyway i play bari in sax quartet at our school, we hardly practice but i was listening to all the other groups like woodwind quintets and stuff and they all suck despite working harder then us. sax quartets are fun and the bari parts are the best parts for bari ever, or they can be

Reply To Post

6. by KSsaxophone
          (57 posts)

19 years ago

Yeah, what is the state marching band? I want to get paid to play saxophone too!

Reply To Post

7. by karebear1012
          (395 posts)

19 years ago

yeah i'm really excited. It's this marching band for Massachusetts (where i live, obviously), and they play at government functions and boston pops games and sports games (mainly the Red Sox i think)... they had auditions a couple weeks ago, and you're supposed to be 15-19 yrs old, but they said i could audition even tho i'm 14. You get paid up to $1500 (depending on chair and gigs you attend). I'm really excited!! my alpine alto sax will actually come in handy too lol. cya, Kara

Reply To Post

8. by KSsaxophone
          (57 posts)

19 years ago

Where did you hear about this? I wanna find out if Kansas has a marching band! (I doubt it Kansas doesn't have anything)

Reply To Post

9. by karebear1012
          (395 posts)

19 years ago

i found an add for local musicians in our newspaper. the good thing about living in MA is there's always an opportunity to preform since it's such a music and art center.

Reply To Post

10. by karebear1012
          (395 posts)

19 years ago

so what bands and stuff are you in? I really really wanted to do pit orchestra because we're doing West Side Story this year, but my basketball season got in the way.... i prolly wont play bball next year so i can be in pit.

Reply To Post

11. by KSsaxophone
          (57 posts)

19 years ago

Well, my school kinda sucks for saxophones. Saxes aren't allowed in orchestra (which I was actually happy about) and there was no sax part in pit this year. And also, I didn't have time to do jazz band this year (freshman year) because I had other classes I had to take. However, next year I will play jazz band both semesters and maybe there will be pit for saxes too!

Reply To Post

12. by karebear1012
          (395 posts)

19 years ago

cool another freshman like me=) i always feel like "the baby" lolz aw, saxes arent allowed in orchestra?! that stinks! i have so much other stuff 2 do because i also play sports and stuff like that. all the directors in my town are pro sax players, so i lucked out

Reply To Post

13. by karebear1012
          (395 posts)

19 years ago

how long have you been playing? ive played sax for about 2.5 years, but i also play trumpet and piano

Reply To Post

14. by KSsaxophone
          (57 posts)

19 years ago

Well actually, next year, there will be no orchestra. The strings teacher was the director and she had no idea how to give out band music. She had the wrong keys and music and parts and she got mad when they couldn't transpose on the fly. So she kicked out the winds! But I've been play alto since 6th grade. I palyed piano for lik 6 years, but I quit last year. So.... boring...

Reply To Post

15. by karebear1012
          (395 posts)

19 years ago

yeah i quit piano after about 4 years....my mom majored as a concert pianist though, so i still site read music and stuff every now and then. lol thats funny bout ur orchestra conductor. this year our band director isnt very good at conducting. he's a really nice guy, but he just doesnt understand music that well. kind of annoying... especially in jazz band when our concerts sound like crap - and all the blame goes to me cuz i'm lead alto. go figure.

Reply To Post

16. by KSsaxophone
          (57 posts)

19 years ago

Yeah, that sucks abotu your director. Ours is a real nice guy. He makes the cheesiest jokes all the time, but they are still funny. Hey, I'm getting a new sax soon. I can't decide what kind of laquer to get on it, does it really matter?

Reply To Post

17. by karebear1012
          (395 posts)

19 years ago

uh...im the wrong person to ask.... but i've heard that silver plate makes the horn brighter. sorry.... i'm getting a new horn too - hoping for a matte finish selmer reference or a nickel silver keilwerth. what are you getting? hey if u need any help with sax advice, i'd ask jim - hez like a saxophone genius... connsaxman_jim. lol my director makes the stupidest jokes too but they're funny because he always cracks himself up

Reply To Post

18. by KSsaxophone
          (57 posts)

19 years ago

A refrence 54? Wow, you're lucky. I am probably getting a Yamaha custom 82z or a 62. Either one would be cool.

Reply To Post

19. by karebear1012
          (395 posts)

19 years ago

i can only get a reference if i pitch in summa my money from that band. they're so expensive!! yeah, the yamahas are good...itz just i dont like bright horns, and the selmer series IIIs and the yamahas tend to be bright. it's all a preference thing. keilwerths are known to be dark.

Reply To Post

20. by karebear1012
          (395 posts)

19 years ago

sometimes i hate being a freshman, because all the seniors and upperclassmen get first dibs, ya know? seniority rules, i guess. like for districts, they're more likely to judge seniors slightly easier because it's their last year to audition.

Reply To Post

21. by KSsaxophone
          (57 posts)

19 years ago

Loud and annoying is the way I like it! Well at least for jazz. My teacher plays bright and the way I was taught to play. So I guess I'm jsut used to it :)

Reply To Post

22. by karebear1012
          (395 posts)

19 years ago

lol loud and annoying, eh? for jazz i need to be bright too...and loud... and my teacher already thinks im annoying... yeah, my teacher has this really nice mark IV, which has the warmest tone i've ever heard. that's the sound i'm trying to get.

Reply To Post

23. by KSsaxophone
          (57 posts)

19 years ago

Oh well, I am ahead of a junior in concert band, and I am going to challenge the first chair senior after our wednsday concert. If I win, it will be hilarious because she got first chair state band and all that. I'm confident though, wish me luck!

Reply To Post

24. by karebear1012
          (395 posts)

19 years ago

good luck! i dont even play sax in concert band...i play 1st chair trumpet. summa the guys are mad about that hehe.

Reply To Post

25. by KSsaxophone
          (57 posts)

19 years ago

Hehe, that's awesome. Yeah my friend is 1st chair tenor, but the seniors didn't really care. But another firend of mine is 3rd chair trumpet, and everyone who is below him is was kinda pissed ;)

Reply To Post

26. by karebear1012
          (395 posts)

19 years ago

theyre all freshman i take it? well, i'm a girl...so that increases their anger. but hey, sometimes it's kinda rewarding becuase it makes me feel like i'm actually a musician. im so busy with sports and lessons and i was asked to do this modeling thing and all that crap, so i have like no time to dedicate myself to sax playing.

Reply To Post

27. by KSsaxophone
          (57 posts)

19 years ago

Modeling huh? And you play saxophone? And you like motorcycles? And you play sports? Wow... That's hot Lol nah I'm kidding. You sound like you're really busy. Do you think you will still play sax throughout college and stuff? You really should.

Reply To Post

28. by karebear1012
          (395 posts)

19 years ago

yeah...with modeling and sports and all that stuff, music is definately my life. i wanna go to UNC and study music therapy if i can. what about you? any sports , or are u just music?

Reply To Post

29. by KSsaxophone
          (57 posts)

19 years ago

Used to play soccer, but my coach kinda quit coaching last spring, so I kinda stopped playing. I miss it a lot though, I wish I had found a new team ro something. Oh well. And I really don't know about college. It would be cool to be a music major or something, but I'm not sure yet. I guess I will figure it out. Wow I htink we should go for a forum record. Most replies in the shortest ammount of time!

Reply To Post

30. by karebear1012
          (395 posts)

19 years ago

lol forum record.... wow i suck at soccer...my foot always misses the ball... lacrosse is fun though, i can actually catch the ball!=) i really like music therapy because i like the idea of helping people (on a christian point of view), and music of course. so that's my goal. i wanted to encoorporate music with my religion, and that's what i came up with.

Reply To Post

31. by KSsaxophone
          (57 posts)

19 years ago

Wow, I never thought of that. The only way I could ever think to mix music and religion was to volunteer on sundays to play in the church orchestra or something. That was what I planned on doing. In fact, I might even do it next year!

Reply To Post

32. by karebear1012
          (395 posts)

19 years ago

yeah i play my sax at church...and i've played at a funeral... (kinda hard to cry for someone and play an instrument at the same imte). but music therapy seems like fun to me. rewarding too

Reply To Post

33. by KSsaxophone
          (57 posts)

19 years ago

Saxophone at a funeral? Never heard of that, sounds a little strange... Hey I just saw in the trading post someone is selling a Mark VI tenor for $1,300, and he says it is in perfect condition. Why would someone sell a perfect mark VI for $1,300?!?

Reply To Post

34. by karebear1012
          (395 posts)

19 years ago

naw we played this really pretty duet (me and my friend) call whispering hope, which was perfect for the funeral because he played saxophone too. i gotta say, as nervous and sad as i was, it was an extremely beautiful piece. wow thats weird bout that sax..... who knows... if only i played tenor!

Reply To Post

35. by KSsaxophone
          (57 posts)

19 years ago

Ah I understand. I don't know what I was thinking. I guess I kinda imagined you playing jazz or something... Hey, there is another Tenor mark VI for $1,020. And they say it is in perfect condition too! Huh... maybe it's a scam or something, hehe.

Reply To Post

36. by karebear1012
          (395 posts)

19 years ago

lol yeah i'm so sure itz a scam... yup. after the funeral everyone was like "wow, i never knew 2 saxophones could sound so beautiful...i've only heard them in jazz"

Reply To Post

37. by KSsaxophone
          (57 posts)

19 years ago

Yeah that's what a lot of people think. Saxophones are loud and obnoxious and should stay away from classical or soft pieces altogether... What a bunch of morons!

Reply To Post

38. by karebear1012
          (395 posts)

19 years ago

oh yeah...why is ur sn moron? u dunt seem that jerky to me.... but ya, i like proving all those people wrong...

Reply To Post

39. by karebear1012
          (395 posts)

19 years ago

well i g2g it was cool talkin to ya! ~Kara

Reply To Post

40. by KSsaxophone
          (57 posts)

19 years ago

I don't know, I always tend to say stupid things that make people go silent and just stare at me... It's pretty funny though! Yeah so why is your sn karebear? You don't seem too... carebeary to... me... ... This is one of those moments.

Reply To Post

41. by KSsaxophone
          (57 posts)

19 years ago

Alright, bye

Reply To Post

42. by karebear1012
          (395 posts)

19 years ago

lol...my name is kara, so lots of people call me karebear

Reply To Post

43. by KSsaxophone
          (57 posts)

19 years ago

Gotcha ;) Maybe we should get back on topic... I wish the saxes in our school could get together to make a quartet. I might try asking them, but I'm not sure if they would be as excited about it as I would be. It's worth a shot though!

Reply To Post

44. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Aww Kara, you're so sweet! Saxophone genius? lol I don't know about that, but I'm always happy to help. Typically silver saxophones are a little brighter, the unlaquered saxophones have the most resonance, and the lacquered saxophones have a darker tone, because the lacquer does deaden some of the overtones and resonation. The lacquer really helps protect the brass from oxidation and tarnishing and keeps the saxophone looking nicer longer. in my opinion, the benefits of the lacquer out-weigh the slightly better resonation you get from an unlacquered horn. The new Yamaha custom Z's are really nice horns. My buddy just bought a new tenor after his drummer accidently backed over his vintage Mk VI! My repair tech is working on the MK VI now, and I can't believe that he's actually been able to straighten the body and remove most of the dents. He's been working on it slowly, and it's finally starting to look a sax again! I have some pictures if you'd like to see this poor mangled Selmer. The Yamaha plays very well though. It has a great jazz tone; very bright. I really like the Keilwerth SX 90R because I love the old Conns (I play a 1948 Conn 10M) and the Keilwerth is designed after the 10M. The R has soldered on tone rings that mimic the rolled tone holes on the earlier Conns. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to send me an email and I'll help however I can. Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!

45. by KSsaxophone
          (57 posts)

19 years ago

Backed over a mark VI? Wow, I would be pissed, hehe. But thanks for all the advice man. I will try to find a place where I could try playing both laquered and unlaquered and see which I prefer. But Kara was right, you are a sax genius!

Reply To Post

46. by karebear1012
          (395 posts)

19 years ago

my dream horn is a Mark IV, but they come in so many price ranges that I never know which ones will be the best, ya know? so i'm lookin for a selmer reference instead. if any of you see one for less than 3300 bux PLEASE email me or something!!!!! cya, Kara

Reply To Post

47. by KSsaxophone
          (57 posts)

19 years ago

Sorry, If i see one for that cheap it's all mine, hehe Nah I'm kidding. I can't spend that kind of money on a sax, and besides, I'm already getting a new yamaha soon. I want to go try one out and see if I prefer a 62 or 82z, but I'm still looking for a place in town that carries them.

Reply To Post

48. by karebear1012
          (395 posts)

19 years ago

wow, definately just had the best bball game ever ... we won by 1 point and the other team were really bad sports which was pretty funny=) but anyway....so i have jazz band tonight and i'm pretty fed up because my director said that because we arent going to festival this year we don't need to really push to perfect our songs. I think that no matter where you go; competitions or not; you should really push for your best. It drives me crazy because all he does are these major triads (uh, we learned those in 5th gr. when we all started band). he's such a nice guy, but not too good of a director..... that's cool ur gettin a yamaha. i'm not too big a fan of the saxes (my trumpet is a yamaha too), but i guess it's all preference. hey Jim, do you know where I could find a really low priced reference, or a good Mark IV in the 2000s?? I'm getting desperate here lol. thanks! Kara

Reply To Post

49. by KSsaxophone
          (57 posts)

19 years ago

Yeah, it sucks when your director is stupid. In 7th and 8th grade, my director was a complete idiot. She had no idea how to direct a band (I think she faked her diploma). Plus her hair was purple, and she thought it looked good. Then when we came to HS this year, she got married to another band director. Awww... band director love! How cute!

Reply To Post

50. by barimachine
          (323 posts)

19 years ago

HOLY CRAP...off subject its called aim im monkeyman0077 whats yours anyone see that easy lots of posts anyway... too many questions and i gtg... yea HOLY CRAP i left for 2 seconds

Reply To Post

51. by KSsaxophone
          (57 posts)

19 years ago

Sorry no aim. Only msn. SN moron66213 :) It's ok man, did it really hurt anyone to get off topic?

Reply To Post

52. by Mark VII
          (1 post)

19 years ago

karebear1012 - do you have an AIM screen name? i was reading some of your threads and you seem cool. I tried your email but to no avail.

Reply To Post

53. by KSsaxophone
          (57 posts)

19 years ago

Forget aim, what about msn? Hehe : ) I wish I could still use aim, no one uses msn.

Reply To Post

54. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

I'll see what I can dig up Kara. Luke doesn't have much right not except for a couple Bundy II's and a Buescher 400 that looks to be late 1950's vintage. I was just searching online and found a really good price on a Selmer Super Action 80, which is a GREAT horn! www.wwbw.com/Selmer-Super-Action-80-Model-52-Alto-Saxophone-i105973.music Giardinelli (part of Musician's Friend) has the ref 54 alto new for $3689, or the 62 Series III for $2999 Great price here on a Keilwerth SX 90 with straight tone holes www.music123.com/Keilwerth-SX90-Alto-Sax-w--Straight-Tone-Holes-i99845.music Here's a Selmer Super Action 80 Series II (like what Mindi plays) on ebay. Buy It Now $1850 It's in the Boston area too! cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=64455&item=7300487358&rd=1

Reply To Post Yahoo!

55. by karebear1012
          (395 posts)

19 years ago

thanks Jim.... yeah i wish i could get a selmer ref, but my parents dont have that kinda money.... and neither do i obviously.. oh um, yeah you can email me at [email protected] sorry, no sn at the moment... so i'm officially in the all state marching band!!! Mitt Romney or whoever looked over the list and confirmed it so i'm in! pretty cool, eh? might get to meet the governor and stuffs. my sax teacher signed me up to do a duet with another 1 of his students this friday....it's a really easy piece (Rubanks Advanced Method Volume I duet #8). so i'm lookin forward to that. cya, Kara

Reply To Post

56. by karebear1012
          (395 posts)

19 years ago

does the Selmer Super Action 80 have a darker tone ? closer to a keilwerth than a series III for example?

Reply To Post

57. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

I tried to email you Kara and it was returned. I think it was a juno address? I just wanted to make sure you got the info I posted. Yes, I think the Super Action 80 is a little darker than the Ref. I like the way they sound and play. That one for $1850 is a great deal! The horn looks to be in really nice condition. I'd jump on that one I think. Great price on that SX90 though too!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

58. by karebear1012
          (395 posts)

19 years ago

Yeah, I'll definately check it out! Thanks for all your help by the way!=) if you find anything else: [email protected] I've been searching for silver saxophones especially, because (as stupid as it may sound), i've ALWAYS wanted a silver saxophone .... or an antique finished one. But hey, if the S.A. 80 is really as good as you've said...maybe i'll go for it...

Reply To Post

59. by KSsaxophone
          (57 posts)

19 years ago

Yeah, I have the exact same thinking kara. I was hoping to get a silver sax just because a lot of people like the sound better, and plus... it's so cool! :)

Reply To Post

60. by barimachine
          (323 posts)

19 years ago

o for the man with juno its been sketchy you have to do all work online it will not work with the old off the browers style... but you probably know that

Reply To Post

61. by KSsaxophone
          (57 posts)

19 years ago

Wow, this is interesting. I found a yamaha 62 on ebay that is extremely cheap. But I was kinda hoping for a 82z, or maybe a silver 62. But this thing is only $1,350 (its a 62, not a 62II) Well I'm not buying the horn, my parents are but still... It's tempting, I wouldn't want them to spend a lot of money...

Reply To Post

62. by karebear1012
          (395 posts)

19 years ago

yeah, juno has been pretty "down" lately... well if i liked yamahas i'd definately go for ahorn that cheap...but then again..consider who's selling it, and what could be wrong with it, ya know? you should probably buy a sax from somewhere witha return policy. just in case. just got back from my sax lesson. oh joy - bop scales..!!

Reply To Post

63. by KSsaxophone
          (57 posts)

19 years ago

Yeah I sent you an email but i'm not sure if you got it, so I'llt ell you here. Over in the trade post, i found Selmer Super Action 80 for $1,595, but I'm not sure if the seller is reliable... or if the horn is for that matter. But a good deal nonetheless.

Reply To Post

64. by karebear1012
          (395 posts)

19 years ago

thanks=) ill look into it.... im just kinda nervous buying a horn i've never played before, ya know? people could think its easy to rip off a teenage girl... so i gotta be careful....

Reply To Post

65. by KSsaxophone
          (57 posts)

19 years ago

Well don't tell them you are a teenage girl and they won't know! But I know what you mean about the playing. That is why I'm a little reluctant to buy the cheapest horn. It makes me think it might play really bad or something.

Reply To Post

66. by karebear1012
          (395 posts)

19 years ago

anyone goin to a music camp this summer?? I really wanna go to SYMS...and next year I want to go to the Berklee summer saxophone workshop (you have to be at least 15). I kind of wanted to go somewhere in the southeast (north carolina maybe?) any ideas? I'm so sick of this cold weather!!!!

Reply To Post

67. by KSsaxophone
          (57 posts)

19 years ago

I'm going to drum major camp (me and my friend get to be drum majors next year, so we are required to go)... I can't remember where it is though... But that's the only camp I'm going to, it's pretty expensive.

Reply To Post

68. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

I know what you mean about silver. They are pretty. I'll send you some pics of a couple of my old New Wonders. They do tarnish fast though. How did that Bruno clean up? I really think that could be a neat horn. I really like the old Buescher True Tones. I have a few silver Conns; New Wonder Series I and II (Chu Berry). The ultimate is the King Super 20 Silversonic if you can find one.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

69. by KSsaxophone
          (57 posts)

19 years ago

Hey jim, do you know a reliable place to buy saxes online? I found usahorn.com which has the kinds of saxes I was looking for (yamaha 62s and 82Zs), but a few people say that usahorn isn't reliable. Any help? Oh yeah, this is moron66213, I changed my name to something more fitting :)

Reply To Post

70. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

I've never dealt with USA horn, so I really can't say first hand. I have dealt with Giardinelli and WWBW though and they are both very reputable companies and their prices are very reasonable. I've never heard anything bad about USA horn or Music123. For a Yamaha, look at www.giardinelli.com. They are part of Musician's Friend and Guitar Center, who I have dealt with many times before. All my keyboard and PA equipment came from either Guitar Center or Musician's Friend.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

71. by KSsaxophone
          (57 posts)

19 years ago

Thanks for the help man. I think I will still buy from usa horn if I do buy online, just because it is about $150 cheaper.

Reply To Post

72. by tenor562
          (297 posts)

19 years ago

The Woodwind Brasswind matches any price better than theirs that you find anywhere, you just need to have proof. That's what I did with my tenor. They're a good company to deal with. I've bought a clarinet and a sax there, and have had no problems. I ended up getting a price match of 400 dollars lower than the WWBW price. Good Luck on buying your horn.

Reply To Post

73. by KSsaxophone
          (57 posts)

19 years ago

Well actually after school today, we went over to a music store and they are letting me take home a Yamaha 62 for a week to try it out. Plus the said they would match WWBW's price since we mentioned it was cheaper there. Unfortuantly, I left my sax with my mouthpiece and reeds at school tonight because I'm heading back over there for a concert later. Once I get home from the concert though, I can try it out!

Reply To Post

74. by tenor562
          (297 posts)

19 years ago

The 62's a good horn. I like my tenor version a lot, it has a nice rounder and bigger tone then the student and intermediate models. I never tried the Custom Z because I knew it was out of my price range. The 62II at the max already. The unlacquered version of the Z is what Phil Woods uses. Here's some info about the Z if you haven't seen it already www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA/ContentDetail/PressReleaseDetail/0,6375,CNTID%253D24614,00.html Good Luck

Reply To Post

75. by karebear1012
          (395 posts)

19 years ago

aight, thanks jim. just make sure you send it to [email protected], okay? so i got the audition pieces for next year's "advanced band". since there are so many people at our school, we have the wind ensemble (more advanced), and the concert band (pretty much the kids whos parents make them play). so the music on sax isn't too hard, but the trumpet piece is the biggest headache!!! too many notes and accidentals..... so i think ill audition on sax for next year.. have my first rehearsal for that band on march 11, and we're choosing next year's HS marching band music sometime this week... any ideas? my director wants something from a movie (we did Pirates of the Caribbean this year). g2g do my french project.... zut alors... ~Kara

Reply To Post

76. by KSsaxophone
          (57 posts)

19 years ago

EVERYONE DID PIRATES OF THE CARRIBEAN! I was so sick of it, I heard it a million times! Anyway, the store where I found the 62, it didn't have an 82z at all. The guy checked, and out of the 80 store nationwide, they only had six 82's total, so I think I am probably gonna get a 62 (if I like it). We could buy an 82 online, but it's hard to tell if the horn you are buying will be a good one, or if you are just getting ripped off.

Reply To Post

77. by karebear1012
          (395 posts)

19 years ago

um...sorry..?

Reply To Post

78. by KSsaxophone
          (57 posts)

19 years ago

Hehe, nothing personal. It's just you got it stuck in my head again when you mentioned it :)

Reply To Post

79. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

I had to reformat my computer a while ago, and I lost all the pictures that were on my hard drive. Most of they I had saved to a CD, but wouldn't you know, I can't find that CD, or the CD that came with my digital camera! UGH! I have a couple pics I'll send you though. I remember one year when I was in band we did a Motown review that was pretty awesome! We took first place for class B in the state! We did a melody of Get Ready (The Temptations) Heard It Through The Grapevine (Marvin Gaye) I Can't Help Myself (The Four Topps) and My Girl (The Temptations). That was in 1987, I think. I was in 8th grade, playing in the high school marching band. I don't know who's idea it was to play Motown; especially considering that we were a bunch of white kids from Linden, MI, but it definately made a hit with everyone, and was a lot of fun to play. I remember another time in concert when we did the Peter Gunn theme, and me and the brass section decided to wear sun glasses and stand up when we played. Of course, we hadn't discussed this with the band director, who was a little unsure of what we were doing! He was a little upset with me at first for my stage antics but seeing the standing ovation, his anger changed to laughter. Don Gaston was the best!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

80. by karebear1012
          (395 posts)

19 years ago

those are actually some really good ideas...i'll tell my director.. im a big fan of the temptations and the four tops because my sax teacher has played with them! pretty cool, eh?

Reply To Post

81. by tenor562
          (297 posts)

19 years ago

Motown is pretty cool. I lke Earth Wind and Fire, just they could use someone better than Kenny G, anyone see them on New Years Eve? Jim, you're in Michigan too? I'm near Detroit. My sax teacher at the music camp I go to in the summer played with the show orchestras of the temptations and the four tops too along with some other motown groups. This year our district's highschool did Estancia. I don't know much about it, but they did very well with it. Motown and Pirates of the Caribbean sounds better to me though. -tenor562

Reply To Post

82. by KSsaxophone
          (57 posts)

19 years ago

This year, our band did Carmina Burana (something like that). If you don't know it, it is that opera song that gradually gets more intense with a repeated phrase. Kinda hard to explain music, huh? Yeah but I just got to try out the saxophone that I borrowed and DANG if that isn't a nice horn! I can't wait untill I own it or something similar. I was hoping to buy a silver one online (it's cheaper than a laquered one from the local store), but my parents kinda wanted some insurance on the sax if it turned out to be crappy (or if I dropped it, hehe) But yeah, I'm really excited. This one of the best saxes I ever played! And on another good note, we just played our winter concert and we were awesome! Go us!

Reply To Post

83. by barimachine
          (323 posts)

19 years ago

yea so we had a sax quartet gig today in order to recruit little kids to go to our school it was fun, NO BARI PLAYERS :( but they went nuts over our soprano sax ,and the player, and all the guys ogled my friend

Reply To Post

84. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Another piece we did back when I was in band was the theme from Back to the Future. Awesome piece of music! Maybe a medley of Disney theme songs or something. There are some really GREAT Disney themes. One year for a Christmas concert we did The Grinch, and had someone come out in a Grinch costume and scare the hell out of the little kids! haha, It was great! My junior year they did April In Paris, and even set up a replica of the Eiffel Tower on the football field! It was awesome! We also did songs from My Fair Lady; Singing In The Rain and On The Street Where You Live. Very cool stuff!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

85. by karebear1012
          (395 posts)

19 years ago

wow, your marching band sounds lke it was really good.... this was the first year ours was optional, so we had like no one (i think 38 people?). it was a lotta fun though because we all sorta became the big family who hangs out togethr on friday nights lol. i just got the music for the marching band... im alto sax 1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ill let ya know what the music is wheni go get the pieces from downstairs...i forget the names...

Reply To Post

86. by karebear1012
          (395 posts)

19 years ago

Hold On I'm Comin' ~by I. Hayes and D. Porter Tear The Roof Off The Sucker (Give Up The Funk) ~George Clinton JR. that's all i got so far

Reply To Post