Saxophone Forum

by apoc7k
(20 posts)
19 years ago

Question about a saxophone...

Well, after a lot of consideration as to what kind of saxophone I want to play for a long time, I've finally come to decide that I want to play a Keilwerth SX-90R. The biggest problem is, I want to get what's best (like everyone else). I guess my biggest concern is that their Shadow model (SX-90R as well) also pops in my mind as well. What I was wondering is if anybody could tell me if there are any major differences between the saxophones? It's real important that I get a very nice horn and I know they would both treat me very well, but I will just wonder if I didn't find out anyways. If I'm gonna spend most of what I earn this summer on it, I'd better find out if i should have gone for a different model instead.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by apoc7k
    (20 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Question about a saxophone...

Actually, after a little bit of thinking, there is the silver one that's made out of nickel silver and that also appeals to me a lot! In everyone's opinion would that be a good enough choice? Me and a few people are starting a jazz combo and I want to get something that will serve me well, but at the same time something that will look cool (the other reason the silver one appeals to me).

Reply To Post

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
      (767 posts)

19 years ago

I dunno, which one appeals to you? Me myself, I've never really been impressed with Keilwerth, but that's just me.

Reply To Post

1. by apoc7k
        (20 posts)

19 years ago

The silver one with gold keys really does appeal to me. It looks really nice, and is supposed to respond very well. Also a few owners were commenting about the low C# to B trill wasn't problematic at all. Then again, just one factor that differs between each player.

Reply To Post

1. by chiamac
          (586 posts)

19 years ago

why not try them out sometime?

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by apoc7k
          (20 posts)

19 years ago

well... you see, the problem is this. I live in North Dakota, and the dealers around here are kind of... funny about certain things. There aren't any Keilwerth dealers around here that I've ever heard of. Anyways, I think I'll probably end up with the Silver one...

Reply To Post

3. by chiamac
          (586 posts)

19 years ago

what part of ND? if you're close to Fargo why not just get a group of friends together and visit some places in Minneapolis? it would only be $100 at the most and it would give you a idea on how these horns play. I think it would be a good investment on a $3000 horn. but that's just me.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

4. by apoc7k
          (20 posts)

19 years ago

I live in mandan and if I DO get a chance to sneak off during a weekend or something, it would have to be on a weekend this summer. Since there's still a lot of school and I don't exactly have a good source of income yet, I just need to wait until then.

Reply To Post

5. by chiamac
          (586 posts)

19 years ago

you don't have a good source of income but you're going to drop that much in a new horn? its' not that I'm anti new expensive saxes, but there are A LOT of better (and not so better) things I would do with that much money. Most of which focus on clothes, food, and rent.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

6. by apoc7k
          (20 posts)

19 years ago

Let me clarify on that... I don't have a good source of income currently because I am only fifteen. Me and a few friends play jazz very seriously and I REALLY want to try and get away from my student yamaha. So, naturally... I don't need to buy clothes, food, and rent quite yet...

Reply To Post

7. by p-apple
          (49 posts)

19 years ago

hey apoc7k i'm just curious, why not consider the regular gold lacquer? No reason spending an extra hundred bucks in a better look if it doesn't make a sax play better. - William Chen

Reply To Post

8. by chiamac
          (586 posts)

19 years ago

why not a old conn! =) and check your email!

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM