Saxophone Forum

by YanagisawA-901
(312 posts)
19 years ago

Scales?? Better?? help!

ok this is probably the most redundant and dumba** post ever but all well.. i keep on telling myself "oo im gonna practice, im gonna get better" and have a lil motivation moment and im like, yes! im gonna practice, get better and be one of the better players at my school! and im only a junior! yesh!! but i never practice, at all, sept some of my private lesson stuff and the ocassional runthru of music which i know how to play i just dont have memorized.. BUT! on to my question.. ..scales are basically the end all of be all of being a good player correct? u need to know all your major scales by heart to kinda be a "good player" yay? nay? i know about 8 major scales on a good day, not including triads or dom. 7th or any chord. but im starting to try and commit to becoming somewhat of a decent player in which case i need to know where to begin and end.. im pretty sure working with my scales all the time will aid in my tone and stuff but what else are essentials for becoming "better"?? help me out guys..

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by phathorn
    (165 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Scales?? Better?? help!

Scales ....major, minor, wholetone, diminished, thirds, forths, etc...plus longtones, yes they're boring. Yes, they're necessary.

Reply To Post

2. by peter090
    (155 posts)

19 years ago

"Be all end all" overstates it a bit but I can't think of a single above intermediate player who can't make it through all their major scales. It is a fundamental. Scales do a lot of things for you. They help improve intonation because you hear the notes on your horn in context. They are a convenient way to deal with the technical challenges of whole and half step fingers just as triad exercises work on major and minor thirds ( and fourths, fifths and sixths if you work on them in various inversions) Their importance to improvisation is more theoretical than practical in my opinion. Scales with no skipped notes of more than 3 to 5 notes are relatively rare. They do help you fix keys and tonalitly in your head and that helps improvisation. Again I don't know ANY ever relatviely competent improvisors who can't get through at a bare minimum their major scales. Running your major scales in all twelve keys at a moderate tempo takes less than five minutes. Another 5 for arpeggios with some long tones and you have 15 minutes of practicing that you could do every day whether you "felt like it" or not through force of habit. In a few weeks you would be a better player just by having the horn in your face an extra 15 minutes a day.

Reply To Post

1. by tenor562
      (297 posts)

19 years ago

At my local music store the other day, I saw an Aebersold book that looked pretty interesting. Volume 26- The Scale Syllabus, has your major and minors along with hindu, blues, diminished, and the play along is with David Liebman. Looked to me like a good buy. I'm an average eighth grade player and I know all twelve majors, along with the corresponding relative minors, blues and harmonic minors. I'm working on meScales are really important. The problem for me is that I know all my scales, i'm just not good enough and they'res something missing. Knowing the arpeggios and chords to them help you a lot with improvising. You should just be able to play the majors without thinking about it. Good Luck -tenor562

Reply To Post

1. by barimachine
        (323 posts)

19 years ago

you shouldn't just no root to root either its important that you be able to run from any note any other than play as high and low as you can on the horn, seeing as how the notes will increase as your range does it will also show how you can get around the scale in time of a solo and how to get back to the chords ...basically the more range you have on your scales it will help you when you get into real work like playing a quartet or smaller group with full legnthed solos for long periods of time

Reply To Post