Saxophone Forum

by Poirier
(5 posts)
19 years ago

Keilwerth tone rings

I'm new to the tenor--been taking lessons for two months with an excellent and encouraging teacher, playing a rented Vito, and having a great time. When the rental period ends I want to buy a better horn and am thinking about Yamaha 62 and Keilwerth SX90 (straight tone holes). Can anyone comment on the SX90R tone ring thing? The SX90 is (sort of) in my price range, the SX90R is not.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Keilwerth tone rings

The soldered on tone rings are supposed to mimic the rolled tone holes that the earlier Conn horns had and give a similar sound. there are advantages and disadvantages to the rolled tone holes. Theoretically, the pads should last longer on a horn with tone rings or rolled tone holes because the rings/rolled tone holes provide a thicker lip and seating surface around the tone holes, and the tone holes are less apt to cut into the pads. The general concensous with the tone rings though is that the disadvantages out-way the advantages; there isn't a big difference in the sound, and getting the pads to seat properly can be difficult. My recommendation would be the SX-90. They're a GREAT horn! I'm sure you would be very satisfied with it. Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by Poirier
      (5 posts)

19 years ago

Thanks for the informative response, Jim. That's exactly the analysis I was looking for.

Reply To Post

1. by ebert
        (18 posts)

19 years ago

i have an sx90r and love it to death. I you don't want to pay for the difference from sx90 and sx90r, it will still be fine. Keilwerths in my opinion are the best modern horns out there right now. Rolled holes or no rolled holes, get a keilwerth.

Reply To Post