Saxophone Forum

by sirmarkus2
(11 posts)
19 years ago

"THE MARTIN BARITONE" saxes.

Where can i get more information on the martin baritones. Also, what are they worth? This will sound weird, but I inherited this sax from my grandmothers 2nd cousins nephew, truely, and I dont know much about it. What can yall tell me?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by definition
    (963 posts)

19 years ago

Re: "THE MARTIN BARITONE" saxes.

Nice horn, you're lucky. Tons of Info (and tons of pics) on www.saxpics.com Pete Hales (Sax historian) runs the site

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by blackfrancis
    (396 posts)

19 years ago

I can tell you that, like all the other Martins I've played, the bari is killer. Best bari I ever blew. Lucky indeed!

Reply To Post

3. by 1son
    (4 posts)

19 years ago

They're terrible horns. They'll probably give you a hernia or brain tumor or worse! You should sell it to me immediately for an insanely small amount of money- say $5. OK- you caught me. It really is a great horn. In good shape worth good money. Even in bad shae thay play well. I sold mine. I still miss it. john

Reply To Post

1. by definition
      (963 posts)

19 years ago

You had me worried for a minute there. If you truly thought that the Martin Baris were bad, someone would be visiting you with a blunt object lol

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by definition
      (963 posts)

19 years ago

You had me worried for a minute there. If you truly thought that the Martin Baris were bad, someone would be visiting you with a blunt object lol

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Martin makes a good horn, and if you fill them with cement, they make a good boat anchor too!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by sirmarkus2
          (11 posts)

19 years ago

somehow I dont see cement in my horn any time soon.

Reply To Post

2. by definition
          (963 posts)

19 years ago

The same can be said for your Conn tenor - not mine though!

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

3. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

haha! Where's your sense of humor? Martin makes a great sax! I always thought their tenors sounded a little wimpy compaired to the Conns and Kings, but they are still really nice horns.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

4. by saxismyaxe
          (575 posts)

19 years ago

Wow, Scrape the wax out of your ears jim! :) Martins are one of the only Tenors that can give a Conn a run for it's money in the sound department IMHO. As you know, I have and play a number of Conns, but will admit that I play my The Martin Committee Tenor more than my 10Ms or 30M of late. To each his own I guess.

Reply To Post

5. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

You know, in all honesty, I've only played one Martin tenor, and it was a while ago. I have played a couple Martin altos. and one older model in particular I really liked. This guy who plays with my dad plays a Martin tenor. I think it's a Committee. My dad asked me to sit in with them a while ago. This guy did nothing but piss and moan because even though his sax was miked and mine wasn't (It was a small jazz dinner club job) I was considerably louder than he was, and sounded so much better. I asked to try his horn, and he wouldn't let me! I'm sure it's mostly the player and not the horn. I don't really know of anyone who plays a Martin other than him. I'd love to hear a Martin that sounded really good because I like the way they play. In fact, In my opinion, Martins play better than Conns, Kings or Bueschers.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

6. by saxismyaxe
          (575 posts)

19 years ago

" I like the way they play. In fact, In my opinion, Martins play better than Conns, Kings or Bueschers" True! That is one of the reasons I am playing the Martin Committee Tenor I own more and more. The longer springs used, and the keywork design of these horn make the keywork much more responsive, slicker, and quicker in general. I have a really cherry, near mint 1947 Martin that is a fantastic sounding/playing horn. I find the tone and power to be very much like the 10M/30M if not a slight bit more centered and smooth. The Conns do roar a bit more, with their own wonderful soul that can't be matched EXACTLY by any other maker. I'll say one thing regarding the Martin horns as they relate to your experiences: If you don't get a nice, large bore mouthpiece for these models, they can go from sounding big, lush, and bold to downright stuffy. Not getting the right setup with the Conn models can rob you of the horn's full potential, but with the Martins it can make the difference between pure ambrosia and a horn with vastly reduced power, tone and response. I find the Martin horns to be a good combination of the Vintage American Sound, with a bit of the French refinement of keywork. I still can't resist picking up one of my Conn Models on a daily basis, however.

Reply To Post

7. by saxismyaxe
          (575 posts)

19 years ago

This is true with the other Martin horns as well. These horns, more than any other I have played/collected, can be real chameleons: change the setup and they can go from a lush, ballad horn, to a paint peeling rock horn. I have a The Martin Baritone that is a real Dr. Jeckel and Mr. Hyde. With a nice large bore HR mp, it can sound for all the world like Harry Carney, change to a Runyon Quantum spoiler, and it will raise the roof right off.

Reply To Post