Saxophone Forum

by jazzchick
(5 posts)
19 years ago

Alto reeds for jazz

I'm 17, and I've been using Vandoren reeds pretty much my whole sax career. I'm just not liking them anymore. I've played on them all--traditional, java, v16, zz. I mainly play on javas because they seem to be the most powerful, bright, and loud. My sound isn't projected good enough through the v16s, i just don't feel like they are loud enough. The zz's produce a thin tone, and i just don't like them. I just feel like the reeds aren't consistent anymore and are too hard-blowing. I use strength 3, and once in a while 3.5. I use a Rousseau JD7 on a Yanagisawa 901. I'm into jazz, and play a lot of Parker and do a lot of soloing. I just want a more consistent, free-blowing reed, with good sound and power. I was reading about Glotin reeds--did anyone ever try them? I was also considering a Rico jazz select. Does anyone have any comments or suggestions on these or any other types of reeds? Thanks!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by tenor562
    (297 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Alto reeds for jazz

Try Alexander Superial or DC, they're good reeds. You can get them through WWBW. Superial will probably fit you best. www.superial.com -tenor562

Reply To Post

2. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

19 years ago

I haven't been very happy with the last few boxes of Vanduren reeds I've bought either. I might try the Alexanders, but I just ordered som La Voz reeds. I've used them before and always liked them

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by YanagisawA-901
      (312 posts)

19 years ago

vandoren is a very inconsistant reed..but when u get a good one hold on to it for as long as you can.. im workn on one ive had now for a good 2 months and its still goin good.. but what u think is a "thin" tone is a good reed.. its free blowing and "jazzy" but the thinness comes from your emboucher??? haha but u can fix that, so find a reed that makes u sound "thin" and make that reed round and dark.. im not a big fan of rico royals, or jazz selects or w/e.. they all play like a bad box of the blue box vandors.. but to each his own.. or in your case to each her own.. keep searchn, find a place that lets u buy one or 2 reeds at a time and buy all different ones.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by saabtech
        (20 posts)

19 years ago

hey guys, i happy to like the rico jazz selects 3S. i play them on a rousseau jdx6 on my ref 54. i love this combo for jazz type music. but for legit, those reeds are too edgy/buzzy sounding. i like my c* with basic rico 3's. i know, orange box! wierd, huh? i want to try hemke's, and alexanders next. sonny d pa

Reply To Post

1. by phathorn
          (165 posts)

19 years ago

I like the Alexander DCs a lot. Not overly bright, but I'll never have a bright sound, so I can live with it...

Reply To Post