Saxophone Forum

by Jazzpath
(19 posts)
19 years ago

New Saxophone Needed

My saxophone was stolen today. It was an old Selmer Super 80 customized by Emilio Lyons. Not the best horn ever, but I've been playing it for almost 20 years and it has a lot of sentimental value. I'm not an equipment fanatic, I believe my sound comes from within, so I've played the same basic setup all my life (super 80 tenor and ottolink metal 9*). I find myself in a position where I am unaware of the new horns on the market and I need to buy a new horn ASAP ( I have borrowed a horn for immediate gigs, but I have to move quickly towars a new purchase on a tenor). I play around 150 gigs a year and am reluctant to buy a Mark VI because of the extreme wear and tear I will put on it and because the prices for the good ones seem to be out of control. Good Mark VI's in Boston can run over 6k and I think that's too much. I'm leaning towards buying a brank new horn. If anyone has an opinion about the different models of Reference Tenors from Selmer vs. the Super 80 series II and III vs. the Yamaha Custom Z horms I would sincerely appreciate it. Thank you. Brian

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Dabg8
    (7 posts)

19 years ago

Re: New Saxophone Needed

I haven't played on the yamaha Z horns, but I have heard nothing but good news about them. I would definitly give them a try. I play a dave guardala tenor and it is amazing for the jazz i play. Hope that helps!

Reply To Post AIM

1. by Dabg8
      (7 posts)

19 years ago

Sorry about the tree replies everybody, my cpu had the hickups

Reply To Post AIM

2. by Dabg8
    (7 posts)

19 years ago

I haven't played on the yamaha Z horns, but I have heard nothing but good news about them. I would definitly give them a try. I play a dave guardala tenor and it is amazing for the jazz i play. Hope that helps!

Reply To Post AIM

3. by Dabg8
    (7 posts)

19 years ago

Reply To Post AIM

4. by kneejerk52
    (397 posts)

19 years ago

thiefs suck i had a martin tenor stolen in 1971, man it really hurts hope the crook gets caught, and you get your horn back

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
      (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Sorry to hear that your sax was stolen. I've lost gear over the years too, but never a sax, thank God. My tenor has a lot of sentimental value too. Any of the horns you mentioned are great horns. I would also recommend trying the Keilwerth SX 90. Good luck. I hope you get yours back. Just keep checking the local pawn shops and ebay and it might turn up.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by Jazzpath
        (19 posts)

19 years ago

Thanks for suggestions

Thanks for taking the time to offer advice. I had some fun yesterday trying out tons of horns. I'm a little partial to the Reference Mark VI. I played a beautiful vintage Mark VI serial number under #50k with all original lacquer. It was, by far, the nicest blowing horn I've ever played..also over 7 grand. Ouch. The reference is a little more in line with my price range. I played the Z series too and I did like them. I think because I've always played a Selmer tenor, I'm a litte more partial to overall feel of Selmer tenors, but the Z is a good horn. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll be buying a new horn this week..

Reply To Post

2. by Jazzpath
        (19 posts)

19 years ago

Thanks for suggestions

Thanks for taking the time to offer advice. I had some fun yesterday trying out tons of horns. I'm a little partial to the Reference Mark VI. I played a beautiful vintage Mark VI serial number under #50k with all original lacquer. It was, by far, the nicest blowing horn I've ever played..also over 7 grand. Ouch. The reference is a little more in line with my price range. I played the Z series too and I did like them. I think because I've always played a Selmer tenor, I'm a litte more partial to overall feel of Selmer tenors, but the Z is a good horn. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll be buying a new horn this week..

Reply To Post

3. by Jazzpath
        (19 posts)

19 years ago

Thanks for suggestions

Reply To Post

4. by Jazzpath
        (19 posts)

19 years ago

Thanks for suggestions

Reply To Post

5. by Jazzpath
        (19 posts)

19 years ago

Thanks

Reply To Post

6. by Jazzpath
        (19 posts)

19 years ago

Thanks

Reply To Post

7. by Jazzpath
        (19 posts)

19 years ago

Thanks for suggestions

Reply To Post

8. by Jazzpath
        (19 posts)

19 years ago

Thanks for suggestions

Reply To Post