Saxophone Forum

by mark4583
(9 posts)
19 years ago

Brand Name oppinions please

Went out to look at a few used Sax's today. One place that said they had some Yamaha's didnt have any but a Bundy 2 for $800. Another had a Yamaha yas23 for $1100, and it looked well used. then the last place had a Yamaha yas 23 that looked like it was run over by a truck for $800! So it seems to leave me looking for new Sax for up to $1000. Heres some of the brand names, give me some oppinions if you think there worth buying. Amati Winston Jupiter Vito's or if you know of others I should consider. Thanks

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
    (767 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Brand Name oppinions please

the YAS23 is a fine student horn, but it's available brand new for about $1300. $1100 is just an obsene price for used unless it's in "like new" condition, and $800 for a beat up one is just unbelievably naive on the part of the seller. Before Jupiter's price increases (because of demand and the sliding dollar), you could get a Silver Plated Artist Series alto for about $1000 new. Look for an older, used Yanagisawa. Winston and Amati don't have great reputations.

Reply To Post

2. by tenor562
    (297 posts)

19 years ago

Try checking out the Accent Brand. They're hard to come around, but they're good horns. The Soprano Version is under 1000 and very nice, so I would assume that the Alto is around that. www.accent.cc/indexa.htm They haven't updated their website in awhile, and they now have a soprano sax, and some others. It would be your best bet to find a dealer. Marshall Music in Michigan has them, and is very fond of them. www.marshallmusic.com If that doesn't work, you should call up WWBW. Their price for a new YAS23 is probably around 1000. I know that they offer their YTS23 for 1050. On their website, it lists a much nigher price. That price is the MAP, which is the minimum price Yamaha allows them to post. If you call them up, you will get a much better price. www.wwbw.com Good Luck -tenor562

Reply To Post

1. by saxlife59
      (7 posts)

19 years ago

Look up Joe Sax on the web...He has a horn for 869.00 new. Sirus is the horn he gives 2 thumbs up on for the price.

Reply To Post

3. by Tenor_Guru
    (25 posts)

19 years ago

I suggest you go with the Antiqua Winds pro models... They cost $695 for sopranos, $895 for altos and $995 for tenors... They are a great value... check out their site: www.antiguawinds.com or buy one at www.kesslermusic.com

Reply To Post AIM