Saxophone Forum

by rick214
(3 posts)
19 years ago

Alto or Tenor ?

I love the sound of the sax, i play the clarinet and am going to buy a sax and learn that ... I am just not sure which I should get .. a tenor or alto .. i love bassy bottoms and jazz .. any sugesstions

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Alto or Tenor ?

"i love bassy bottoms and jazz .. any sugesstions" I would suggest a tenor. The Bb tenor is lower in pitch that the Eb alto, and if you like a deeper bassier tone, the tenor will give it to you. There are other advantage to going with a tenor also. The clarinet and tenor are in the same key, so your sheet music is in the same key. Being that you have played clarinet, switching to saxophone will be a breeze. You'll find it much easier than clarinet, and having started on clarinet, you've already developed a better emboschure. Most of your better saxophonists started on clarinet. Once you switch over to tenor, you may later want to try alto, and then once you've tried alto, you want to try soprano, and the next thing you know, you'll have a whole closet full of saxophones!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by Firk
      (31 posts)

19 years ago

"Being that you have played clarinet, switching to saxophone will be a breeze. You'll find it much easier than clarinet, and having started on clarinet, you've already developed a better emboschure. Most of your better saxophonists started on clarinet. " thanks jim. i'd like to steal that line as a compliment:) i started on clarinet in 5th grade because i couldn't get a sound out on the alto sax. i tried sax again two years later and it was amazingly easy. now its my main instrument and i plan i taking it through college and to who knows where. i also plan on sticking with clarinet aswell as it's still an awsome instrument and fun to play, but it'll also help me find jobs. plus then the jazz band can bust out some woody and benny charts. ~Firk

Reply To Post

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
        (767 posts)

19 years ago

Learning clarinet first doesn't mean you've learned a "better" embochure. It may mean that you will use a compromised on one or both, which is not a good thing. Optimal embochure on either instrument is far different and you need to note the differences and even practice the switch to avoid problems. Keep note of the angle at which the mouthpiece of the sax enters your mouth.; don't let it point upwards much, like some clarinetists will do inadvertently. Note that the saxophone embochure requires pressure from the sides, unlike textbook clarinet embochure. Don't sink your chin, and try to support the reed with more of the fat of your lip, not too drawn back over the teeth. Fingerings on the saxophone are mostly simple compared to the clarinet. Difficult notes are at the top and bottom of the instrument's range in notes not often used, but these note's mechanisms are often difficult to manipulate compared to any keywork on the clarinet (C#-Bb, palm notes). Octave break C#-D is easier do deal with than A#-B break on clarinet. Due to the saxophone's conical bore shape, it's playing resistance changes more dramatically as you transverse the range compared to clarinet. These are my experiences as a doubler.

Reply To Post

2. by mj_sax
        (7 posts)

19 years ago

Can you name some of the "better" saxophonists that started on clarinet? I'd be interested in listening to some of their recordings....on clarinet?

Reply To Post

2. by rick214
      (3 posts)

19 years ago

thank-you very much, it was the way i was leaning .. will let you all know how i make out .. thanks aagian

Reply To Post

1. by Firk
        (31 posts)

19 years ago

johnson, i know exactly what your talking about. i had to learn all that stuff the hard way. i guess i've fixed all this stuff without really relizing it over time. i still find myself once in a while having my sax mouthpiece at an angle. johnson you wouldn't happen to be steve johnson out of green bay would you? ~Firk

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

I understand what you mean Johnson. I still play clarinet on occasion, but not too much the past couple years. Like you Firk, I started out on clarinet in 5th grade. My dad insisted that I start on Clarinet. It's not so much a "better" embochure that you develope playing clarinet. Maybe better isn't the correct word I'm looking for. Let me try to explain what I'm getting at. When I switched over to saxophone, I quit playing clarinet for a while. I picked up my dad's one day just to mess around, and I sounded really BAD! I could not keep it in tune and my embochure was all over the place! It took me a couple months of practicing with the clarinet to get my embochure control back. When I did, my sax sounded even better. I was really surprised just how much harder it is to play a clarinet in tune than a sax. If you really want a challenge, try flute! I thought it would be easy. It took me 2 days before I could even get a sound out of the damn thing!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

oh Firk, Luke, my repair guy has been sick and hasn't really had much chance to look for that 10M neck, but I asked him again today (2/8/2005) and he's going to try to dig one up. Someone else asked me about a tenon clamp for a Bari or something, but I don't remember the details. Refresh my memory and I will see what I can find. Thanks Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!