Saxophone Forum

by karebear1012
(395 posts)
19 years ago

Reed help

Lately I've been buying boxes of Vandoren ZZ size 3 alto sax reeds, but they've ended up playing like crap (with the exception of maybe one or two of the reeds). Before I played on Rico Jazz Select size 3.5 alto reeds, but I didn't like the tone as much as say a Helmke or Vandoren. However, it's such a waste of money to buy a whole box when only a few of the reeds will play well. Any ideas on a brand I could buy for my alto (probably ones that will suit classical music the best - but any opinions on jazz ones too would be great) that are more consistent? I'm lead in my jazz band so my director is always trying to get me to play real loud, but some of the reeds i've tried have made me squeak slightly when playing forte. I also have a recital coming up , so i need something that will help me achieve a warm classical tone. Thanks! ~Kara

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by barimachine
    (323 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Reed help

i would say try some JAVA or V16s for jazz thickness depends on your setup and such classical try some general blue box or rico grand concert series stuff la voz anything really as for price i order mine through my band director he gets like half off so that saves me money especially when its like 5 or 6 bucks a reed

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
      (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Vanduren reeds have sure gone to shit in a hurry. The last couple boxes of V16's and Java's I\ve bought were garbage! I'm not buying any more.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by reallynewtothis
    (15 posts)

19 years ago

Hi. I would try the Alexander Superial or DC. They're pretty consistent. Cheers

Reply To Post

1. by karebear1012
      (395 posts)

19 years ago

so dyou think it'd be cheaper for me to buy them offline?? by the way... for classical i use a Selmer C* mouthpiece witha Rovner dark ligature -- and for jazz I use a Meyer 6 and usually just my rovner (or whatever ligature i find lying around that sounds decent)... Thanks for your help! Kara

Reply To Post