Saxophone Forum

by rosscoe88
(5 posts)
19 years ago

Some advice pls!!

Hey! I'm currently Alto 2 in our Big Band at school, second to a player who I'm at least equal to. I play a Temby Vintage Alto, with a Selmer S80 D rubber mouthpiece, Rovner Dark lig, and Rico 3S Filed reeds. I've got a pretty dark sound, which makes it hard to stand out and grab the attention of the MD (i desperately want to be Alto 1 next year, with a better audition than last time!) My question is, should I look at a metal mouthpiece to brighten the sound and have more resonance? I've heard it brightens it too much, although with my setup it may even balance it. Any help would be appreciated :)

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by The_MarkVI
    (80 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Some advice pls!!

sigh, i always wanted a metal on my alto but i never got one. when i tried one i was so excited though it was a HUGE dissapointment. i would stick to an open chamber jazz mouthpeice such as the claude lakey, meyer 5m or 7m, berg larsen, otto link rubber. and take off that rovner. GOD i hate those things. they deaden the sound

Reply To Post

2. by jusjop
    (5 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Some advice pls!!

Metal alto sax mouthpeices are generally a dissapointment. I personally think they are not needed to acheive a good jazz sound. I use a meyer 5, and vandoren zz reeds for jazz. That set up works for me, but the best advice i could give is to try several different kinds to see what works for you

Reply To Post AIM