Saxophone Forum

by Augman
(29 posts)
19 years ago

alto and tenor

Ive always wondered . Is it bad for your ear to play alto and tenor because the fingerings have different values? Is this why you hear of pros that play tenor and saprano but hardly ever tenor and alto. I love both and cant decide after 25 years.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Re: alto and tenor

I play both alto and tenor, and I know of other pro players that play both, but most pick one or the other. I think it's mostly a matter of preference. As for the difference in pitch, it really doesn't effect my ear. I've even played the alto on songs that I normally play tenor on and vice versa. Typically, I play whatever sax fits the song best. As long as we're in a good key, I can transpose pretty easy. A song in concert C would be in the key of D on the tenor, and A on the alto. I've gotten acceptionally good at transposing and it's almost automatic to me that if the guitar player tells me he's playing an A chord I should be playing a B on the tenor or an F# on my alto. Having played keyboard for a long time has really helped. I like to learn a lot of songs in the key of C and transpose them to whatever key they need to be in. I know, that's cheating!!!, but it makes it SO much easier! Altos and tenors play quite differently though also. The tenor is much easier. The alto emboucher requires more effort, especially when playing above C3 and altissimo. Tenor altissimo is much easier to play in tune, and I really have to tighten up on my emboucher to play the Eb up to the F# and on the alto, that's about as hi as I'll go on the 6M! On the tenor, I can get G with no trouble, and A if I really work at it.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by wvujazzman
    (48 posts)

19 years ago

As someone with perfect pitch, I can tell you that absolutely it is not "bad for your ear" to play both. I'm a pianist by training, but I've played both alto and tenor for almost 29 years as a hobby. Now, I certainly prefer to play tenor over alto, but if the situation requires it, I can switch. I have a very good friend who for a time played lead alto with the Naval Academy jazz band (many years ago), and he's now primarily a tenor player. I think the really good guys can play either one well, and gravitate towards one or the other out of preference. Just my opinion... Eric

Reply To Post

3. by sax_maniac
    (984 posts)

19 years ago

I wouldn't say playing both is bad for the ears, but it could make it challenging for someone (particularly a beginner) to adjust between the embouchres. I played alto for 20+ years before getting into tenor. Even if I'm on a tenor "binge" where I'm not playing alto that much, I can't get as good or comfortable with it as I do with alto. Anything can be accomplished with due diligence, but I think the embouchre challenge is more serious than the ear challenge.

Reply To Post