Saxophone Forum

by Augman
(29 posts)
19 years ago

Selmer series 1 and 2

What is the difference between the series 1 and two . Between these two and a yani which do you think is the easiest playing and which most resembles the mark 6 in tone?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by sax_maniac
    (984 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Selmer series 1 and 2

There's an unintended cureveball in your question in that Mark VI's can sound vastly different from each other - lots of variation amongst the various vintages. I think that Yani was doing some Mark VI "copycatting" in the 70's and early 80's. Yani's in that timeframe are great bang for the buck. As far as the differences between the ones you list -they are all good horns, generally speaking. I'm not sure about the tone difference between Series I and II, but I know that the III's are quite a bit brighter than the II's. I have also not found there to be any noticeable difference in tone between the III and the Reference Series, though I find the III's much more ergonomically friendly. I've heard some people compare the Yamaha 82Z's to Mark VI's, but it's one of those things you would have to experience for yourself. Mouthpiece selection is more critical to your resultant tone that which horn you are playing.

Reply To Post