Saxophone Forum

by *ThE SaX*
(8 posts)
19 years ago

Soprano tone

I've recently bought a soprano to expand my horizons from that of alto alone. However, I'm beginning to realize that I have no idea what kind of sound I should be working torwards on this instrument. I have no prior experiance with a soprano so my tone is not developed in a certain direction, but on my alto I've aquired a deep and resonent tone. Our school only has one full time tener player, and he plays his soprano sometimes at practice. His horn is not good quality (the brand of his instrument is XL...???). When he gets into anything below an on-the-staff A he begins to sound like a sixth grade oboe player that breaths with an iron lung. Obviously I can't listen to this guy and hope to increase my abilities on the instrument. Since I've no apprieciation for Kenny G's tone and music and don't know any other artists that play a lot of soprano, what should a developed sound be like? Thanks.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by *ThE SaX*
    (8 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Soprano tone

*Bump*

Reply To Post

1. by kneejerk52
      (397 posts)

19 years ago

maybe wayne shorter or branfor marsellis can help you get an idea of a different sound.

Reply To Post

1. by tenor562
        (297 posts)

19 years ago

I'm not very familiar with soprano playing, but Branford Marsalis is a good person to listen to. Also, in the last Downbeat issue, there was Pharoah Sanders on the front cover. John Coltrane was also a great soprano player, and listening to his soprano recordings would be of great benefit. Liebman is also widely known for his soprano playing. -tenor562

Reply To Post

1. by *ThE SaX*
          (8 posts)

19 years ago

thanks a bunch

Reply To Post