Saxophone Forum

by barimachine
(323 posts)
19 years ago

GENERIC TONE, EMBOUCHURE,AIR, INTONATION THREAD!

this can be about any questions you have im starting this because like always im very pissed off at my saxophone when doing long tones i always notice ive still got a quavering sometimes its bad, its due to air support i guess, i also notice that my sax from concert F is fine but is flat on concert A i notice this all throughout the sax im thinking about sending it to tenor madness... its a series II bari anyways... i dont have my new neck in so the mouthpiece that applies to this is my ...ugh C* as i cant use my jody. i need help with long tones, intonation, embochure, air control, dynamic support tone, how to growl, how to get a lester young stan getz airy sound, everything i can do most if not all of this stuff better than a highschooler should that would be stupid to stop their i need lots of help i started this because ive never seen definitive answers everyone always says thats a loose embochure thats a tight embochure thats too much lip you need more lip, placement stlye, dont drop your jaw do drop you jaw, your bending rong thats bad vibrato you get quiet with slower air you get quiet it less air. you flaten your sharp notes by jaw dropping, NO you do balh blah tighten lower lip and blow directly straight and concentrated, you dont know how to circular breath blah bligity blah blah thats a bad reed go thicker, you need a softer reed its confusing who has some kind of book or exercises? this is a general thread for all things done where the mouth meets the sax... sorry for the long post PLEASE HELP ME!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by sax_maniac
    (984 posts)

19 years ago

Re: GENERIC TONE, EMBOUCHURE,AIR, INTONATION THREAD!

I just shot an email to "monkeyman". Let me know if I can help!

Reply To Post

2. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

19 years ago

You can't use your Jody because your neck isn't in? Why do you need a different neck? Is this some different kind of mouthpiece or something? That's a new one on me. I wouldn't buy a mouthpiece that required me to use a special neck! You know what, for $25, but yourself a Rico Royal Graftonite piece and give it a try. I have one for bari, and a couple for my altos and tenors. They are truely one of the best mouthpieces I've found. If you want a metal piece, try an Otto Link. I'm not familiar with Jody Jazz. Honestly, from my experience,more than half of the jazz mouthpieces on the market are JUNK and can cause all sorts of tone and intonation problems.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by barimachine
      (323 posts)

19 years ago

the neck was free im playing to different pieces and they have different sizes and the paper wrap was killing the tone so the place where i got my sax is getting me a new neck for free and corking them to use multiple pieces. and its here so im getting it tommorow

Reply To Post

1. by sweeterswing
        (4 posts)

19 years ago

Hmm... I tried switching necks between my altos a couple days ago. (My new sax's neck needed a new cork and pad, it's fixed now) And they didn't even fit in the other sax, let alone play.... They're both same brand too, One Jupiter JAS 500 series, and my new Jupiter SAS 767 Deluxe. I don't really know anything about bari's though... But anyhow, If you're having trouble getting enough air or air support for long periods of time, my suggestion is try picking up flute on the side for a while. Get better air control, support, etc. (The difference with flute is the lack of resistance on the air flow, thus your mouth has to create reistance. It's hard.) A decent flute is pretty cheap too, as opposed to something like a tuba or bari. Also, flute fingerings are even closer to sax fingerings than clarinet's are, believe it or not. I'm originally a flautist (started in 6th grade, I'm a sophmore now); I picked up alto about a year and a half ago for jazz band. I've only been playing a little while, and I can handle a lot of vibrato, long notes, keeping high notes in tune etc. I could probably beat out most (if not all) altos in my band for breath support... But this is all in my opinon, of course.... :)

Reply To Post

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
          (767 posts)

19 years ago

I think that sending out your mouthpieces to be matched to the same tenon size is a better solution than dealing with multiple necks.

Reply To Post

2. by barimachine
          (323 posts)

19 years ago

the neck is the same neck for the same sax, same thing, no special necks or anything. my breath support is never nearly as bad as i made it sound i was just mad i want to know mostly how to with your mouth change to be flat or sharp, such as ur low note is flat some would say raise the jaw blah blah blah how do you self correct. most of the questions i posted because its just good that people learn the right way and not worry about it later, i have relativly good air im a swimmer and a runner which helps too just in general to give thoughts

Reply To Post