Saxophone Forum

by nectarios
(20 posts)
19 years ago

Help! Used Selmer Alto going for peanuts!

Hi. I am a total newbie that seriously want to learn how to play the sax, both alto and tenor. My local pawn shop has a shiny/unscrathced Selmer alto for £299! It is not a Bundy and looks very much like the new Selmer Reference alto model. It has the Selmer name and the flower like engraving on the bell. Now the price difference screams "scam!" I can't even blow right so I can't really say if the sax plays oin tune or not, but which one and how much is the cheapest Selmer sax? Should I go for it? Thanks

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by sax_maniac
    (984 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Help! Used Selmer Alto going for peanuts!

If it has engravings, then I would certainly say that it has scratches - really deep ones! ha ha... Look over all the markings to get a model number. If it is a Selmer Paris horn (in the bell engravings), then I'd say 299 quid is a VERY good deal. Even if it required some fixing up. If it is not a Selmer Paris horn, then it may or not be worth it if you can't determine if it is in good repair. Selmer is making their student line in Taiwan now which brings the price down significantly. They are probably decent horns, but the deal you are getting becomes less monumental if it is one of these. Do you know anyone who plays the saxophone? Bring them into the shop with you to give it a blow. I found some horns on eBay that happened to be at a local pawn shop so I had the advantage of reviewin them prior to making a bid. They looked decent cosmetically, but they were so completely out of regulation that it would have cost another $300 (or 5 hours of my own personal time) to get them into shape. The shop owner (selling musical instruments next to used drill presses) could care less what condition it was in and stood to do much better going the eBay route than he did to a knowledgeable player. If you get more info on it, shoot me an email and I'll advise you further... Good Luck!

Reply To Post

1. by nectarios
      (20 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Help! Used Selmer Alto going for peanuts!

It's GONE!... :( ...which brings me to my next thread.

Reply To Post