Saxophone Forum

by nectarios
(20 posts)
19 years ago

Total newbie

Hi. Having missed a great opportunity to get what appeared to be an expensive sax, really cheap, I am going down the new saxophone path. I love both alto and tenor horns and plan to aquire both at some point in the future, but since I'm a big Coltrane fun and the tone he has in the "Kind Of Blue" masterpiece, I've decided I'm gonna start off with the tenor. My choices are to get a Yamaha YTS-275, or a Keiwerth ST-90 from my local store. I could also get a Trevor James "The Horn" from the internet, but I'd rather support my local store and build a nice relationship with the people there and get their service which I am sure I'm going to need. What about mouthpieces? The guy from the shop suggested a silver Yanagisawa mouthpiece that is a little more expensive from the Selmer S80 C* and Otto Link 5 Ebonite mouthpieces. Any views on those? I'm thinking about getting a Rovner ligature and a bunch of Rico Royal No.2 Reeds. I really like Coltrane's sound, but quite dig the softer tone of the tenor as well. I am not too worried about that yet as I still haven't even produced one! But I'm excited I finally got the cash together and I can decide what I'm going to walk out from the store with (or order off the net, if you kind sirs think the Trevor James horn is the best). I'm also thinking about learning the basic fingering charts from a book/DVD before I start getting lessons from a teacher. So, if you have the time, let me know which horn is good, or the best (if I may say so) to start on and ways to go about in order to play this beautifull instrument and music. :)

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by sax_maniac
    (984 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Total newbie

I'd take the Yamaha 275 over the Keilwerth ST by far. Keilwerth's EX and SX models are quite good, but I'd take the Yamaha over the ST. Does he have all these mouthpieces in his shop to try or are you having to order one "blind"? At any rate, as a beginner, it will be dificult for you to assess the qualities between them. Stay away from the S80 C*. They are insufficient for jazz on tenor and are even too closed for tenor legit, in my opinion - though I've refaced a few and opened them up to become great versatile pieces. Otto Link Tone Edge are decent, but their metal Super Tone Master model would be better for jazz. As a beginner, I recommend a 5 or 6 facing on those. If you get too advanced a mouthpiece, your learning experience may become frustrating. For example, Dukoff Silverite D chambers can sound really cool, but they can be difficult to control not to mention they are manufactured very inconsistently and rarely play well right out of the box. Vandoren makes high quality mouthpieces at decent prices - a Java series mpc would be a good starting point. Don't get caught up too much in the gear fox hunt as a beginner. What's more important is that you get reliable equipment so that you can learn confidently. Get yourself the Rubank Method Beginner"blue book", Larry Teal's "Art of Playing Saxophone" book, and most importantly - some private lessons. Don't procrastinate on getting some lessons as you could develop some bad habits that would be hard to overcome. Good Luck.

Reply To Post

1. by chiamac
      (586 posts)

19 years ago

[Get yourself the Rubank Method Beginner"blue book"] I'll second that! Those books are great. As for bad habbits... I've learned this. i couldn't throw left handed when I was active in phyed class and spors 10 years ago. Now I can since I've almost forgot how to do that action. The same goes for me playing sax. I've forgot most of my bad habbits and can play almost at the level I did back in the days of high school. Sure my tone is a little bad, but I can read music just as fast (maybe faster) and my keywork is just as good. I belive a person "plays out" of bad habbits. For example, keeping your fingers close to the keys. Yes, it's not a good thing to keep doing, but you relize that its' A LOT easier to keep your fingers close - so you do it. dunno, just my .02

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by definition
        (963 posts)

19 years ago

To add my two cents, as a begginer, DONT GET A METAL MOUTHPIECE!!!!!! It will hurt you in the long run. I would suggest starting with the S80, but in a facing larger than C*, which works well for Alto, but poorly on tenor. I suggest to all my tenor students to get a Selmer in a D or E facing. Also a good mouthpiece for starting on and building a good embrochure, is a Meyer piece, a 6M or 7M would be ideal. The Meyer piece will run you alot cheaper to!(about $60 US) Lastly for your equipment, go with 2 1/2 for a reed strength, and forget the Rovner, stick with a basic 2 screw lig as a beginner. And the Rubank book is more of a band method. The Larry Teal is a good book, and also worth looking at are the rascher books. I will also recomend lessons for the same reasons, good luck!

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by connsaxman_jim
      (2336 posts)

19 years ago

the Keilwerth ST is made by Jupiter. They're not a bad sax, but I really think the Yamaha would be the better choice of the 2. Like Definition said, the S-80 C* or C** are great mouthpieces for alto, but not tenor. I play a Conn 10M tenor, and Selmer mouthpieces DO NOT work well with Conn tenors AT ALL!!! I don't know how they would work with a Yamaha. I like the Rico Royal Graftonite mouthpieces. They're cheap! Under $20, but don't let the price scare you. They sound great. For a beginner, I would go with the B3 facing, and a Rovner ligature. It's an inexpensive set-up that works very well for rock and jazz. If you do go with a metal, go with a fairly open chamber like an Otto Link 6* Giardinelli (www.giardinelli.com has the Otto Link 6* for like $109.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by nectarios
        (20 posts)

19 years ago

First of all thanks for the replies. Ok, so I went to the shop with the cash ready in my bank account, but unfortunately the Yamaha horn is not in stock and it will take a few weeks before it comes in. But there is a british (I live in the UK) Trevor James "Signature" series tenor which is an intermediate/professional model that costs ?200 (roughly $300) more than the Yahama horn, but it comes with an Otto link ebonite mouthpiece as standard. Now I can stretch my bank acount for that horn with no problems. Also, the sales person who happens to be a sax player (and a good PR person...I was so close to exit the store with that horn) told me that I would be fine starting off on that horn + I would get to progress on the same horn as the years go by and keep it even when (if) I become experienced. By the way, the "Signature" horn looks like it was made in heaven! But, being a newbie I am as eager to start learning as I am clueless...so I decided to think about it and ask you guys first, since I know that the difference between student horns and more expensive ones, stretch beyond the price difference. So, can you please give me some more advice? Thanks again.

Reply To Post

1. by definition
          (963 posts)

19 years ago

I'd be wary of the Trevor James a bit as I've never heard of it. I would stick woth the Yamaha, those move with you also. I had freinds in the university still playing YTS 23s and such till graduation, and my professor played one as a back up hornafter he got his new one.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by sax_maniac
          (984 posts)

19 years ago

Well, Yamaha has been around for a long time and makes generally trustworthy instruments. I've never heard of Trevor James saxophones, but After reviewing their website, I'm guessing that these are stenciled horns - probably made in Taiwan or China - with the various logos and insignias added depending on who is selling them. I could be wrong, but at the price, that's my guess. If I'm right, then the horn could be hit or miss. Could be the greatest thing ever for the first 6 months and then it could be a living hell after that. OR it might be a great horn at a good price for the long haul. If they back it up with the 5 year warranty mentioned on the website, then it might work out great. I have play tested Taiwan/China horns that sounded great and others I'm not so impressed with. Maybe you know a player - someone with your interests in mind - who can go into the store with you to play test it - to be sure it is all set up very well (no pad leaks, etc) before you walk out the door with it. That's recommended for any beginner buying any horn whatsoever. Any horn is a gamble - no matter who makes it. If you are working with a music store that will back up the horn and service it when things go wrong without gouging your pocketbook, then you should feel more comfortable about the proposition. As the Trevor James horns are a local brand, it may be difficult to resell it if you later decide to go another route or get a different horn. The Yamaha name will help your horn retain it's value more. The best way to protect your money is to buy a used instrument, but then you are fully responsible for servicing it when things go wrong.

Reply To Post

1. by sax_maniac
            (984 posts)

19 years ago

Per definition's comments, I play on a older YAS-23 and absolutely love it. When I came into it, I liked it so much I sold my Selmer Series III. So don't get too sucked into the marketing of "student" vs. "intermediate" vs. "professional" horns as a beginner. Reliability is most important at this point in your journey.

Reply To Post

2. by connsaxman_jim
            (2336 posts)

19 years ago

The Trevor James saxophones are great horns. Not something you see much of here in the US, but they are quite popular in Europe and in the UK from what I have been told. I've seen a few of them. I would think that either one should serve you just fine. Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!

3. by johnsonfromwisconsin
            (767 posts)

19 years ago

My points will only reiterate what others have said. Keilwerth ST vs 275 vs Trevor James: Since the Trevor James is something I've heard of, yet never tried nor heard many reviews about, I couldn't recommend it. Dealing with unknown or untrustworthy brands is quite risky and not worth the potential purchase savings, in my view. yet if you can get it's recommendation from a competent and unbiased pro, technician or instructor, you should consider it. I've never really liked any Keilwerth I've tried, yet I do recommend trying them based on their reputation, but the ST isn't really a Keilwerth, it's a Jupiter. Allthough I really do like the Jupiter Artist line, I think the ST is a different animal which has an uninspiring tone and cumbersome ergonomics to me. Never played the 275, but Yamaha has yet to really dissapoint me. I have a Yas-23, and have tried out a number of other Yamaha horns and I'm confident with giving a blanket recommendation of Yamaha saxes as a whole. In addition, Yamaha resale is high, reliability and playability are good, and they're just very good saxophones. For beginner's mouthpiece: I agree with definition in that you shouldn't necessarily require a metal mouthpiece just for it's own sake. A cutting, projecting jazz sound does not require a metal mouthpiece. Metal pieces can be much more expensive and not as comfortable to play for some. I would recommend trying a Selmer Soloist in D or E for tenor. I've also heard that Ralph Morgan makes some great jazz pieces as well. When you try the mouthpieces yourself, make no excuses for them. If there is anything you don't like about one, move on to another before purchasing.

Reply To Post

4. by connsaxman_jim
            (2336 posts)

19 years ago

I would agree with you, but I have seen a couple Trevor James horns and I happen to know that they are a good quality horn. I'm not sure where they are made, but they are NOT a cheap Chinese made instrument. They are a quality made instrument, but not something you often see here in the US. I believe they are made in England.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

5. by nectarios
            (20 posts)

19 years ago

Got the Yamaha horn after all! The shop only had Yamaha 5C and Selmer tenor mouthpieces but not the facings you people suggested, so I ordered an Otto Link 6 ebonite mouthpiece. The mouthpiece that came with the horn was a Yamaha 4C. I also got a box of 5 Vandoren traditional reeds (1.5). So my first impressions of trying out a saxphone? FANTASTIC! I thought getting my first tone would be much harder than it was last night. I simply did whah the book said, blew and I got a B! Off course I have no control of my tone whatso ever, but I did get a crude B note and got sweaty palms instantly! After a while I managed to go up and down a C major, tonguing each note and after I did that, I played a christmas tune! The problems I had were with the 8ve key and the right hand D,E,F,F# notes (I was fine with the G,A,B,C notes), I simply can't get the 2nd octave when holding down the 8ve key...but I was rushing through things simply because I was too excited, will try again today. I'll start going through the book at a normal pace as well and start working on controling my tone, instead of trying to play C major in time. This is just great! Thanks for the advice!

Reply To Post

6. by sax_maniac
            (984 posts)

19 years ago

Welcome to the Pleasuredome!

Reply To Post

7. by FredCDobbs
            (77 posts)

19 years ago

Nectarios: I started over three years ago, at the age of 51, with no musical background whatsoever, and the sax has enriched my life beyond measure. I play alto and tenor and consider myself just entering the intermediate phase, thanks to a good teacher and steady practice. My only regret: Not having started earlier. Find a teacher you have a rapport with, practice at least an hour a day, and you'll be amazed at your progress. Good luck and good playing.

Reply To Post

8. by FredCDobbs
            (77 posts)

19 years ago

A small side note: As a life long asthmatic, after about 6 months of playing the alto my asthmatic episodes decreased by at least 80 percent. I think the kind of breathing necessary to play the instrument stengthened the smooth bronchial muscles and made them less sensitive to hystemic reactions. Later on, the tenor finished the job! My doctor wasn't surprised.

Reply To Post

9. by sax_maniac
            (984 posts)

19 years ago

I'm a life-long asthmatic, too. But even when under attack, my air-outflow is as good as a normal person's. My doctors attribute it to playing an instrument. The first time I was tested on the meter, the doctor said "trombone player?" Close. Just a couple feet closer to the conductor. The quick inhale and long controlled exhale when you play is the exact opposite of how "mere mortals" breathe under relaxed conditions.

Reply To Post

10. by nectarios
            (20 posts)

19 years ago

Thanks for kind wishes! I've been playing drums for about 7 years, but stopped as soon as I moved to the UK to do an audio tech course. 5 years later I have my own recording studio but wanted to learn a jazz lead instrument that will also suit the funky breakbeat I produce so I can actually record my self playing a "real" instrument (I have lots of synths, samplers and drum machines). I have been playing a bit of keys, bass and have some experience with the guitar, but always been in love with the sax. Although, when I first looked at one, the mechanical parts of it made it look like such a complex instrument to learn, so I've been putting off for quite a while. But I love jazz so much and the sound of the sax in parcticular, that I simply could not do other wise. I didn't pick the saxophone really...the sax picked me. I know it will take years before I become good enough to record my own sax parts in my tunes, but I'm 27 years old and very patient. I'm just very happy I finally started learning how to play the sax, instead of simply dreaming about playing it. I've been in such a great mood since yesterday when I walked out the shop with my first horn! Even better when I produced my first squeaks :)

Reply To Post