Saxophone Forum

by saxitup
(49 posts)
19 years ago

PLAYING BY EAR

I recently returned to the sax playing scene after many years of "no playing" and some concert band stuff prior to that. I now play tenor sax with a church choir that involves all "play by ear" playing and accompanied by a electric pianist, drummer, and bassist and all of the voices. How can I improve my improvosational skills? Scales?? play along cds? Any advice would be appreciated.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by kneejerk52
    (397 posts)

19 years ago

Re: PLAYING BY EAR

you already know the scales, yu just need to fit you stuff in where there isn't anything. kinda like a jam but you have a better idea of where the song is going and how many times you will play it through right. you have an advantage, no other horns right? the easy way is to just play the melody along with the voices, sometimes you can harmonize with them, or fill in where needed. i have a similar problem my church does not want to practice the songs together. hope all goes well.

Reply To Post

1. by saxitup
      (49 posts)

19 years ago

thanks for the info. Fortunately there are no other horns. I'm playing the tenor which seems to blend in best with the voices.

Reply To Post

2. by connsaxman_jim
      (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Sounds like you're on the right track. The best thing I can suggest is to play along with CD's and try to find the melody and the chord progressions. After a while, it will become second nature, and you'll be able to play anything. i've never been very good at reading music, and I haven't in so long now, I'd have a rough time playing in an orchestra again where I had to read. Most of my life I've played by ear. Just listen and follow along. When you work with a band, listen for the ques. I always listen to the drummer very carefully. Not only does he help me keep time, but the drummer often gives a lot of ques, like when to go to a chorus or bridge, chord changes, etc. I've sat in with groups and played songs I've never played before; a few I've never even heard before, and survived.

Reply To Post Yahoo!