Saxophone Forum

by sweeterswing
(4 posts)
19 years ago

Prepping Reeds?

I started playing alto about a year and a half ago. Before that, I was playing flute (had been for about four years). The problem is, I still can't seem to find a good way to get my reeds prepped for playing. The way I've been trying lately still doesn't allow for low notes in the first few days, and ends up with splits in the tip around two weeks playing on the reed. I'm in High School, and I only use my alto for jazz, pep band and marching. It probably gets an hour in every day, so it's not like I just blow them out that quickly... I'm playing junk reeds now, but I'm trying a few Vandoren ZZ reeds and I want to prep them right so they last. If it makes any difference, I'm playing 2 1/2's. Any suggestions and help would be greatly appreciated! -Steph

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Prepping Reeds?

I soak mine in hot water for a few minutes before I first use them and keep them in a LaVoz reed holder that flattens them out. Never leave the reed on the mouthpiece. I haven't had the best luck with Vandoren reeds lately. I bought some Rico Jazz selects, and I really like them. Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by saabtech
      (20 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Prepping Reeds?

i've been using this break in method for awhile now. www.superial.com/notes.html if the reed is too hard after this, i start scraping the reed. sonny d. pa

Reply To Post