Saxophone Forum

by jamesnero
(1 post)
19 years ago

New alto sax for student

I'm a new student who wants to learn to play alto sax. Is there anything wrong with buying one of those $250 to $300 new saxophones on eBay? For instance, there's a new Schill model #M4580 black alto sax for $250.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Re: New alto sax for student

Due to the many other posts that I and several other members have left regarding this topic, I'm not going to "chew this rotten cabbage" once more. You get what you pay for....and for $250, you don't get much! read the other posts!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by SaxMan88
      (318 posts)

19 years ago

I second that notion. If your kid is really gonna get into his music, don't hand him some POS horn. Now I'm not sayin go out and blow $3,000 on a Selmer Series III when ya don't even know if the kid will like music, but don't go that dirt cheap on him either. I think the alto that I got cost my parents about $1,400. Which isn't bad. Monthly payments were only like $32/month through a local music shop. I still have that horn and it plays great. Happy saxophoning!

Reply To Post

1. by karebear1012
        (395 posts)

19 years ago

well when my parents bought my first saxophone, it was a student alpine for only $400. I know it's a cheap horn (we're currently looking for a nice pro horn), but it was an awesome beginner horn for a low price. Since I don't have my new horn yet, I just invested in a really nice mouthpiece, and ligature, and my student alpine actually has a pretty good tone. So it's not always the price that makes the difference.

Reply To Post

2. by SaxMan88
        (318 posts)

19 years ago

Oops, I apologize. I didn't see YOU were the student. Now with that aside, do you really get into the music gig? That'll determine what you should buy. I'm getting a Selmer LaVoix. Which is kinda like a Selmer Paris tenor but it's quite not. It's made of red brass, so it has a warmer sound. But it's also $2,000+ cheaper than the Paris line. That might be my downfall. But the thing is, if you're just getting a sax just to be in regular band or sumtin, then get like a $700-$1,400 Conn or Armstrong or whatever alto. They'll do good for that kind of event. Now if you're gonna go big time (like I hope to do) and get into a jazz band and maybe when ya get of HS you're gonna go into college as a music major, maybe put more money in and get a Selmer Paris alto. The Series III looks like a nice horn, if ya can afford it. Sorry about the lil error. Happy saxophoning!

Reply To Post