Saxophone Forum

by SaxMan88
(318 posts)
19 years ago

Selmer LaVoix

I'm getting one of these within the month. Anybody ever heard of em? Play-tested one? Own one? Any advice offered would be nice. Thanx!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by 1saxcoconut
    (6 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Selmer LaVoix

get a mark vi... :-)

Reply To Post

1. by SaxMan88
      (318 posts)

19 years ago

*laughs*. You're funny...not. A used Mark VI costs more than the LaVoix. Even thought it IS a Mark VI, it's used. God knows what was done to it, where it's been, or what the owner did to it. So on that note, Selmer LaVoix. I did consider it, but the used factor really drove me off. Happy saxophoning!

Reply To Post

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
        (767 posts)

19 years ago

I've heard that their bores are identical to the Antigua Winds Power Bell series. Don't quote me on that! ;)

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

As long as the horn has been well taken care of and is in good condition, who cares if it's used? So it's broke in! Older vintage horns have more character. Buying a vintage horn is kind of like going to the dog pound. You look at a few dogs. You automatically dismiss a few; either they're too big, too small or an aggressive breed. (like old saxes.....either too old, they don't have the sound you're looking for, or they have a reputation for not being the greatest) But then, there's old Charlie. A great dog who's owner moved to a retirement community where pets are not allowed. Charlie's had all his shots and has been well loved and taken care of his entire life. He's great with kids and loves to play. His previous owner taught him to fetch, shake, and roll over. Charlie has been sitting in the pound for a couple weeks waiting to be noticed, but keeps getting passed over for the cute little puppies! But, Charlie is a thoroughbred , not a mutt. He's housebroke, and doesn't chew! Charlie is like the perfect vintage horn! The horn that's been loved and taken care of, whos owner has either lost interest or is no longer able to play for health reasons, etc. If you give Charlie a good home, play with him, and take care of him, he will take care of you! Just like if you buy that vintage horn, cherrish it and play it with pride, it will take care of you too! Don't delay!!! Adopt a pet/sax today! Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by tenor562
          (297 posts)

19 years ago

I definitely would much rather have a "used" Mark VI then a new selmer, whether it's a Lavoix or a Reference or Series horn. Used does not mean bad. Vintage horns have their own uniqueness. Next time you look at a used sax, don't let used turn you off. I've tried many vintage horns that just blew me away, much better than any modern horn I've ever tried. It's just that, as they're not in production anymore, they become more rare. Lots of money, but well worth it.

Reply To Post

3. by SaxMan88
          (318 posts)

19 years ago

Well, I would get a Mark VI but all the used ones I've seen have signs of extensive use and abuse. Sorry, I ain't gonna shell out $3,000 for a horn that might suck in turn. Ya dig it? Now of course I'm not dismissing the fact of not getting a Mark VI down the road. I might get one later to have one, and maybe even make the MK VI my main horn. For now, LaVoix, Mark VI later. Happy saxophoning!

Reply To Post

4. by SaxMan88
          (318 posts)

19 years ago

Well fellas, the big moment has arrived. I'm going to get the tax return done on Saturday (tomorrow). Putting the order through on WWBW online (via check), so they'll have it on hold. Prolly should have the check within two weeks, and I'll just write out a check to WWBW and mail it. Within 10 days of them receiving the check and clearing it, I'll have my tenor! Oh boy! I'm really really excited!!!

Reply To Post

2. by kneejerk52
        (397 posts)

19 years ago

why do people ask for advice if they already have their mind made up? these guy are giving you sound advice. sometimes the horns that look the worse sound great. if you ever saw Phil woods horn in a shop you probably would not give it a second look. oh by the way it used to belong to Charlie Parker!! think maybe yu would like to have it? also if you are worried who played it last you can get it dissambled and cleaned fairly easy. think about the resale value also, just like a car, better quality holds value or actually grows in value at times. it might benifit you to be patient and take the time to find something worth buying. good luck whatever you decide.

Reply To Post

1. by SaxMan88
          (318 posts)

19 years ago

Why do people not read the full statement before saying stupid stuff? I originally said I was getting one. Didn't say I was teter-totering on it. I was getting one. I just wanted to know if anybody ever heard of it, or played one, or whatever. I only have $1,500 to spend. I need a tenor this year. End of story. I can't make monthly payments on a Series III (or a Series II for that matter). And I certainly can't pull $3,000-$4,000 outta the rear end to buy a Mark VI. Trust me, I'd love to own one. If I had money I'd have one if not two Mark VI's including a few of the Series II and III horns. Don't get me wrong. I'm only 16, and I need a tenor. The school horn I have is about ready to fall apart plus I do want my own. I didn't ask for opinions on buying a tenor, kneejerk. I wanted opinions on the Selmer LaVoix. Period.

Reply To Post

1. by kneejerk52
            (397 posts)

19 years ago

when you grow older the people who try to give you advice in the past will somehow seem not so STUPID. yu need to check you temper man.

Reply To Post

1. by SaxMan88
              (318 posts)

19 years ago

kneejerk, I am certainly not referring to those who did give advice as being stupid. I appreciate the advice. But you're right. I had my mind made up. I was getting the LaVoix. I wanted to know if anybody had play-tested them, owned them, or had even seen one. If I wanted opinions on what I wanted to get for a new horn, I would have seriously considered the advice given and would have seriously considered getting a Mark VI or a vintage Conn. And if I had money. And trust me. I wasn't angered when I made that statement.

Reply To Post

2. by kneejerk52
              (397 posts)

19 years ago

no prob. hope what ever you get does well for you, take care of it, treat it with respect. yu know the bundy i was kinda embarassed to play along the others 30 years ago now doesn't look or sound so bad. in fact it sounds good and has held up great. and now it's worth 5 times what i paid for it. so much for cheap horns and resale value huh? have fun.

Reply To Post

3. by SaxMan88
              (318 posts)

19 years ago

kneejerk, You said sumtin about Bundy? That's the school horn I'm playin on now. You should see it. I think you'd die as many other professionals would. It's stained with stuff that won't come off (I've tried everything besides bleach...I dunno if that and lacquer get along *laugh*). Plus I think it's sprung a leak, I have to keep a rubber band around the neck key to make sure it stays shut in the G-D range, the Bb key latch has been welded on so many times that one day it snapped, and it was sent out for repair and I didn't have a tenor for a few months. That's what sparked my decision to look into a new tenor. I was originally eyeing the Series II, then the Series III, then the Reference 54, then back to the Series III in a black lacquer, I was hoping to lease it. But I'm a minor, and my mother and father don't really have the best credit history, so chances are we weren't going to get the financing. I thought of the LaVoix a day or two earlier before I came to the conclusion that I couldn't lease a horn. The light bulb went on and now I hope to have one by the end of April if not sooner. I want to ask my band director how he's managed to keep his 30+ year old Selmer S-A 80 (not Series II, one of them horns, yes) in almost mint condition. Not a dent, not a scratch, not a peel of lacquer, and not even a finger print on it. I got the lacquer polish and the handling cloth with my tenor, plus a pad-guard and a neck-saver to keep them moist-free. I hope there isn't anything else I need to do besides put a 5 foot STAY CLEAR zone on it so nobody or anything puts a scratch on it *laughs* Oh by the way, that Bundy II sounds great...when it wants. TTFN

Reply To Post

4. by kneejerk52
              (397 posts)

19 years ago

just treat it like it was you spouse, keep it out of bad weather, hot or cold. don't neglect it, keep it clean. handle it gently. and like i said taken care of it will be worth more later on if in good cond. not matter what kind it is. just common sense i guess. i also have a vsp vito, which is their pro model, from '62, it' almost perfect in every way, i paid 100.00 for it in a private deal, not bad huh? practice hard, have a blast

Reply To Post

5. by SaxMan88
              (318 posts)

19 years ago

Well, I got it out of my director how he managed to keep it in such shape. First thing; he's a clarinetist and picked up sax around his eigth grade year, so he likes the clarinet more than the sax. He basically let it sit for intervals at a time before playing. So it was kind of like a garage kept car. But he did point out to me scratches he did put on it when he was in HS *eek*. So I guess it wasn't in mint condition. Oh well, close enough.

Reply To Post