Saxophone Forum

by j_gally
(19 posts)
19 years ago

Playing Soprano..

I currently play the alto intermediately, but have always wanted to play soprano. Is it possible to switch or should I master the alto first.. And, I was wondering what others personal opinions of curved or straight were. I'd appreciate advice, thanks!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by sax_maniac
    (984 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Playing Soprano..

"Master" is a relative, term, but I'd asy if you were even comfortable playing alto, then taking on soprano is a reasonable quest. Intonation and embouchre are tougher on soprano, so be patient and give it time, but as you are strengthening your chops on soprano, you will find your alto chops get even better. I'd say go for it. As far as curved vs. straight, I've had both (Yanis) and favored the straight. I need it for legit purposes in a concert band and in church and I found the curved was just too bold. I preferred the somewhat more indirect sound of the straight than the (literally in your face) sound on the curved. Someone who is using it for jazz or solo work might prefer the curved. I also found the straight a bit more ergonomic. I'm 6' 2" and it just seemed more comfortable with my long arms to have my hands slightly lower and more in front of me when playing the straight. As far as makes of soprano, I'd say stick with the larger brands. You can't go wrong with Yani.

Reply To Post

1. by j_gally
      (19 posts)

19 years ago

Great! I think i really might start soprano... are the only brand worth looking at yanis? I kind of have a small price range.

Reply To Post

1. by tenor562
        (297 posts)

19 years ago

Yani's are around 2600 for the 991, but if you can find a vintage Yani, you usually get a great deal. There is also the Antigua Winds Sopranos which I have heard are a small step down from the Yanis, but a large step in price. Dave Kessler sells them at his website. www.kesslermusic.com -tenor562

Reply To Post

2. by kneejerk52
      (397 posts)

19 years ago

I long for the day i hear somebody say, i want to play tenor. the world doesn't need another annoying, high pitch shrill of the infamous soprano. maybe im getting old but to me there is nothing like the sound of a good old mellow, or jamming tenor. kids you don't know what your missing.

Reply To Post

1. by jaggtagg7
        (40 posts)

19 years ago

whats the deal with Kessler Music? do they only sell through their Ebay store? I just heard of them now.

Reply To Post AIM

1. by tenor562
          (297 posts)

19 years ago

Kessler Music is a dealer in Las Vegas . . They are known for their great customer service. Dave Kessler is a member of SOTW, and often reports there on new products and news in the music dealer world. They also have their own brands, the Solist, CR Kessler, and Kessler Custom. These brands are the best taiwanese horns you can find, and for a really nice price. They also have the Kessler Custom Mouthpieces, which have great reviews. They do not sell only through their Ebay store, you can order over the phone. They're a big supplier of Yani and Antigua, and are one of the best dealers you'll find.

Reply To Post

1. by jaggtagg7
            (40 posts)

19 years ago

ok.. sounds sweet. i think i am gonna order an anitgua soprano, one with the double neck opt. just wish they had a location near me (east coast).

Reply To Post AIM