Saxophone Forum

by mega band geek
(60 posts)
19 years ago

Soprano sax reeds

You know how some reeds work with several instruments, like Tenor sax reeds work with Bass Clairinet? My question is, are there any instruments that Soprano sax reeds are inter-changeable with? Thanks.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Soprano sax reeds

A tenor reed is a little bigger than a bass clarinet reed actually. The bass clarinet reed is the same size as the old C Melody reeds. I don't know of any reed that would be comparable to a Soprano. Clarinet reeds are probably the closest although they're a little slimmer and longer.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by sax_maniac
      (984 posts)

19 years ago

Nothing plays on a soprano mouthpiece like a soprano reed. I've heard of some people swaopping around alto, tenor, and bari reeds, but soprano is tough enough as it is - I don't advise looking for subsitutes.

Reply To Post

1. by tenor562
        (297 posts)

19 years ago

I once heard of people using clarinet reeds on soprano to get better cane quality, or if they were doublers. I don't reccomend it though. Once I used an alto sax reed on a clarinet, and it worked ok, and was safe for practice, (it was all I had for some weird reason, I don't play alto lol) but stunk majorly overall.

Reply To Post