Saxophone Forum

by aravaioli
(24 posts)
19 years ago

Help: Saxophone.com, Antigua, Amati

Hi guys Seems after a long search I am narrowing down my choice for a new Tenor saxophone to this intermediate budget-minded models: 1. Saxophone.com lacquered tenor 2. Antigua Winds 550LQ 3. Amati ATS32 I read good things about all of these and, guess what, I do not have the chance to try anyone locally. Did anybody of you had the chance to try one or more of those to compare them according to your personal tastes? Thanks everyone

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Saxman2200
    (64 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Help: Saxophone.com, Antigua, Amati

if your looking for an intermediate horn why don't you try a Stephenhouser, they are good horns and they are fairly cheap

Reply To Post

1. by aravaioli
      (24 posts)

19 years ago

Never heard of this Stephenhouser brand, I'll make a search soon to check prices and availability: price of the Amati and Saxophone.com tenors is 800$, Antigua is 1000$. They sound as great deals but I was hoping to get feedback from people who played them. Thanks for your contribution.

Reply To Post

1. by tenor562
        (297 posts)

19 years ago

I don't reccomend the Stephenhouser brand. My local music store carries them, and supports them. They are ok with a nice tone and a little weird with the "new technology patents" but the intonation isn't good. Basically, a student can't control the intonation, and a pro is going to buy a much better horn.

Reply To Post

2. by 1saxcoconut
      (6 posts)

19 years ago

If a budget is what you have in mind Goto dominicmusic.com and look at his DC Pro Models. I just ordered one to try out. Apparently he has made a good big bell copy of the Mark VI at a truly unbeleivable price. I get it March 3rd and will repost my findings. I presently play on a Mark 6. I ordered it to try out for my students.. Check it out.. call the guy he is impressive to talk to..

Reply To Post

1. by Saxman2200
        (64 posts)

19 years ago

No, I don't know how many times I've said this... DO NOT BUY FROM DOMINIC!!! He sells basically the same horns you see on ebay for 500 bucks, some are the exact same (moniques for example). Those horns are crap, they wont hold up past 6 months and dont soud that great to begin with.

Reply To Post

1. by jazaddict
          (41 posts)

19 years ago

I haven't tried either of these horns, but I HAVE recently purchased an Antigua Soprano from Kessler Music. Based on my experience with Dave Kessler, and the subsequent satisfaction with the Sop, I'd say give the Antigua a try. I think they have a 7-day return policy if you're unhappy. Happy hunting.

Reply To Post

2. by aravaioli
        (24 posts)

19 years ago

I finally decided to stretch my budget and ordered and YTS-62II from music123. Incredibly enough, they dropped without much negotiation the price from the 2230$ to 1800$, which I stated it was my max. budget. I think I'll open a thread about this to make aware the members of this board: do not click and buy but negotiate the price at music123 (or wwbw which now is the same company). I don't know if I got lucky, but chances are that you will too! Best of all is their return policy: 45 days! I just wonder if they set up properly the instruments before shipping them (not sure...) but Yamaha have a good reputation for playing just out the box. Another plus: they ship to different addresses from your billing one. Big plus for us Canadians with friends or relatives in the US!

Reply To Post