Saxophone Forum

by tgood
(1 post)
19 years ago

Plating and Finishes?

Can anyone shed some light on the pros/cons of different plating and finishes on the sax - i.e. what is the benefit/concerns for a silver plated sax verse a lacquered or unfinished one?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by sax_maniac
    (984 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Plating and Finishes?

Silver/unlacquered are believed, by some, to resonate more or play more brightly. Pro or con, you decide. I'm not convinced that there's all that much of a difference as I've owned silver plated, unlacquered and lacquered horns and played them against others in the music shop. The mouthpiece I am familiar with sounded basically the same on each horn, so don't look for finishes to make worlds of difference in terms of sound. Some people have allergies to brass, so unlacquered would be a bad idea. You'd hate to find out with a bad case of contact dermatitis that you are allergic to your instrument. Silver looks amazing, but will develop fine scratches very easily - you have to be careful to retain the mirror-like finish if it's polished silver. Special care in cleaning it and keeping the dust off of it is a must. Silver also tarnishes - which can be slowed to some extent with special strips you put in the case.

Reply To Post

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
      (767 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Plating and Finishes?

I agree with _maniac. The biggest difference with different finishes may be the mental reinforcment factor; you *feel* you're playing brighter/richer/darker. I don't care too much for unlaquered as touching bare brass feels dirty to me. Bare silver or plating can be tough to maintain, but is nice to the touch and looks attractive even when tarshished IMO. A clear laquer coat over silver is quite stunning. I don't like clear-laquered brass as much as gold laquered, myself.

Reply To Post