Saxophone Forum

by saxitup
(49 posts)
19 years ago

Has anyone played a yamaha midi wind controller?

Looks and feels like an electronic soprano sax. I hope someone can tell how difficult they are to play.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Has anyone played a yamaha midi wind controller?

I had one for a while; a Yamaha WX-5 Wind Controller, as I am also a keyboard player. I bought it primarily to do brass sounds; thinking that the breath controller would sound more realistic. Actually I was disappointed. I didn't think it sounded very realistic at all. I didn't really care for the sax sounds either. The flute and clarinet sounds were very good. They were the only sounds I really used. It just doesn't respond like a real horn, and I suppose you have to try it to see what I mean. I bought mine a few years ago when I bought my Yamaha S80 keyboard, which was like May of 2001 I think? Maybe they have a new model now that is better. Try it before you buy it. It may or may not be what you're looking for. I bought the module for mine too. I think it was a VLM-70.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by chiamac
      (586 posts)

19 years ago

ok... this is a midi controller right? Not a sax, or a sub for a sax. it's a synth and (IMO) should only be used to do different and intresting things... not to replace a sop in a band or anything. that's just my opinon though.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Yes, it's a midi wind controller. It's not a sax, nor a substitute for a sax. It is a MIDI controller, only instead of having keys like a keyboard, it is set up like a soprano saxophone. It has a mouthpiece that you blow into in order to make a sound, like a real saxophone. The microprocessor monitors air input and increases volume the louder you play. It also adjusts pitch to correspond to your emboucher if you use vibrato, for example. I have found though that some of these parameters are overly sensative. Some of the instrument sounds are very realist and sound very good. The flute and clarinet sounds are outstanding. The brass instrument sounds were good overall, but not very realistic because the controller made the brass instruments sound more like a reed instruments. I bought mine to do MIDI sequencing and make some more realistic sounding horn section back-ups. Songs like Pick Up The Pieces, Play That Funky Music, Saturday In The Park, and a few others, the MIDI controller was pretty cool, because I could chain the VL-70 module to my keyboards and my other MIDI module and play one note on the MIDI sax and have it sound like a whole section! I ended up trading my controller and the module to a guy who I used to play with for an old Conn New Wonder tenor.

Reply To Post Yahoo!