Saxophone Forum

by ebert
(18 posts)
19 years ago

fuzzy sound on new mouthpiece: please help!

I just recieved an Otto link tone master mouthpiece size 8 for my tenor and started playing it with vandoren zz size 2.5 and rico jazz select size 3s reeds. This mouthpiece is very open compared to what I am used to play, but i can't seem to get a very clear sound out of it. Is the mouthpiece just too open for me? I have been playing for 5 years and have enough embrocheur for it, but still sound fuzzy or "airy". The reed does not seem stiff, and I can get up and down the horn with relative ease, but that is the only thing i can think of that could make it sound the way it does. There are not much softer reeds than 2.5, and I do not think it is too hard, so what else could be wrong? Thanks

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by sax_maniac
    (984 posts)

19 years ago

Re: fuzzy sound on new mouthpiece: please help!

Is the mouthpiece new or used? If it's used, there could be a problem with the facing or you need to experiment with some different reeds. Your embouchre will need to adjust considreably if you are used to something like a tenor C* and jump to a Link 8. Maybe you could have another player who is used to playing open pieces give it a try on their horn? If it is a new mouthpiece, chances are the facing is in good shape, but that's no guarantee either.

Reply To Post

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
      (767 posts)

19 years ago

I actually have heard a number of comments regarding poor facings on new mouthpieces, especially from Berg Larsen and Otto Link. Even if new, the facing could indeed still be poor. However: The first thing you should try, ebert, is to drop down to a 2 hardness on the zz's and see how that works. That is the cheapest solution if it is indeed the hardness that is hindering you. 2s are a noticable dropoff from 2.5 and should still be readily available. It also might take some adjustment on your part. It might not just be the difference in opening you're contending with, but the length of the facing can also cause similar issues.

Reply To Post

1. by ebert
        (18 posts)

19 years ago

To answer your question: the link is only slightly used, because it came from wwbw.com as "b" stock. The facing could be the problem, but johnson did suggest that I may not be used to the opennes of the mouthpiece or the facing size, which is a valid point because I used to play a rubber mouthpiece with a smaller chambered and slightly smaller facing. I will try some 2 hardness reeds on it and see what happens. I can play a full sound without very much air consumption even on the large bore of the mouthpiece I just don't understand why it is responding in such a way. If there are any more suggestions, they would be very much appreciated. (by the way, I still am in the return period for the mouthpiece, which I ordered with an otto link rg, and a vandoren metal. Right now I am just checking out the different pieces, but will probably choose one of them to keep. The vandoren is what i am leaning towards, although it is not as big in sound as the troublesome link.)

Reply To Post

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
          (767 posts)

19 years ago

if the 2zz doesn't work for you, you could send the Link back to wwbw. There may have been a reason why it was a 'B' stock in the first place.

Reply To Post

2. by smsax08
        (1 post)

19 years ago

Hey ebert I actually just switched to a Link 7* from a much smaller mouthpiece not too long ago and I had the exact same issue at first. What I found was that the problem was me not the mouthpiece. It took a few weeks for my embouchure to adjust, but after that the fuzziness went away and I started to get the tone I was looking for. So if I were you, I'd keep working with it at least until your trial periods up, and if the tone doesn't improve then send it back and try other things. Don't be in a huge hurry to make a final decision. If you buy something that's not what you want you'll just be wasting your money. Good Luck!

Reply To Post