Saxophone Forum

by Peter Chadwick
(6 posts)
19 years ago

Introducing myself

I have been taking lessons for a year now after a 20 year rest, so consider myself very much a beginner (at 55 years old). I came across this web-site whilst trying to dig up some information about my old instruments which I bought when I first started playing. I have been unsuccessful so am appealing to you folks for help. I have a Berg Larsen alto stamped 'made in GDR', ser. no. 44780 and a Weltklang soprano also stamped 'made in GDR' and engraved 'for Rudall-Carte'. Its ser. no. is 4552. I realise that these are stencils, but any information anyone can supply would be most useful. I'm not a good enough player to comment on the performance quality, but both horns work ok and are pretty solidly built

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by mrd
    (137 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Introducing myself

Hi Peter: I too have had a long rest from playing, like 40 years ago. Unfortunately I don't know about your present sax's, however I do have a question about instruction books. My old books are long gone along with my fake books. Please can you tell me what instruction books you began with your new teacher so that I can pick these up for myself. I need this type of information as I am out of the loop without material at this time. Thank you

Reply To Post

1. by Peter Chadwick
      (6 posts)

19 years ago

Hi, mrd & welcome to the wood shed. We must be the oldest babies on the block! Strange about these GDR horns, nobody seems to have any info. Can't think why anyone would want to name a horn 'Berg Larsen' since as far as I know they have only ever marketed mouthpieces. I'll find out one day, I guess. As to tutors, my teacher gave me the Rubank Educational Library vol. 68 titled "Rubank Intermediate Method Saxophone' by J E Skornica, published by Hal.Leonard. This has done me proud - the pieces are nothing to write home about but I found the etudes and tech. studies really helpful. I can also recommend '80 Graded Studies for Oboe' selected and edited by John Davies & Paul Harris, published by Faber Music Ltd but this may be out-of-print - the pieces are a cut above the usual tutor stuff. otherwise throw yourself to the wolf, get a teacher! 'Hope you find 'relearning' as much fun as I am

Reply To Post

1. by mrd
        (137 posts)

19 years ago

Peter: Thanks for the recommendation, and yes, I think we are one of the lost breed that should have stayed with their craft instead of letting 40 years go by. I would enjoy talking to you, so if there is a way you can send me your email address or phone number to converse, it would be appreciated. My email is:: [email protected] Let me know, and thank you again. Daniel Evans

Reply To Post