Saxophone Forum

by jaggtagg7
(40 posts)
19 years ago

Impressions of Antigua 586LQ

im sure u get questions like this all the time, but i am too lazy to search for the answer. so, I am thinking of buying a soprano saxophone and all my searching has leaded me to Antigua. as no local dealers carry Antigua horns I was wondering if any1 can share the impressions on the quality of Antiqua, more specificaly the 586LQ sop that is a copy of the Yanagisawa S911. I am pretty set on buying this, through Kessler Music. thanks

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by jazaddict
    (41 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Impressions of Antigua 586LQ

I just did that very thing. I got the 590LQ because I wanted the G. I was concerned because "you know what they say about Taiwanese horns"...... to be honest, I'm not sure about all of what they say, I'd just heard that "they" say "something" and it wasn't good. Apparently the 586 line and up is WAY better than the models of smaller numbers (from a few years back) as the manufacturer REALLY spent some time fixing the complaints about intonation and ergonomics (the 2 things I had heard that "they" say). The intonation is splendid. The tone is richer than the 1920-ish one piece straight Conn that I've played on for 10 years. While I've never played a Yani that this is the copy of, I understand that its an excellent copy visually and tonally. The ergonomics are very good (not quite splendid...read on). The high d palm key sticks out far enough that my fairly large hands can reach it with ease. I'm not thrilled about the travel distance of the octave key; it seems a bit long, but I think I could have that adjusted or put a half-moon of cork on the octave key. Anyway, coming from that old Conn I'm in heaven. I highly recommend it, and I'd suggest you chat with Dave K or his Dad about it (i know, i know, like chatting with the foxes about how to best pen up the chickens) as they're happy to "sell you" on 'em & answer oodles of questions. Its fabulous. I have no regrets.

Reply To Post

1. by jbroad572
      (46 posts)

19 years ago

I just ordered mine today. I ordered the 586BC. I was going to go for the 590, but based on Dave's opinion it wasn't worth the extra $100. I can't wait to get it. Should be here Friday. Also got the Morgan Pro mpc for now anyway... should be much better than the crap Antigua sends out with their saxes. I'm a beginner (Starting up again, anyway). I can't wait to be able to make this baby play like I imagine.

Reply To Post

1. by jazaddict
        (41 posts)

19 years ago

Congrads. I was REALLY close to getting the black also; very nice looking horn. The mouthpiece was likely a good move on your part because the stock 4c that came with it really is crappy. I use an SR Tech Legend that I really like, and I'm sending the stock one out to Keith Bradbury to reface. He's done work on mpc's for me before so I'm confident he can turn that one into something I can use. I found Kessler to be spot-on in their evaluation of these saxes, hope you do too.

Reply To Post

1. by sax_braswell
          (22 posts)

19 years ago

I truely beleive that Antigua Winds saxophones are horribly under rated! I think they are a bunch of horn for the price!!!

Reply To Post

2. by jbroad572
          (46 posts)

19 years ago

My precious will be delivered today. Not sure what time UPS comes around this location, since we just moved here, but I can't wait to see my new baby.

Reply To Post

3. by jazaddict
          (41 posts)

19 years ago

Sax_Braswell.... I think of Antigua like this: They cost as little as 1/4 the money as the pro-line Yani, Selmer, etc. yet they're WAY more than 1/4 the horn. I'd LOVE to do a side-by-side recording test of the Yani and this 590 using the same mpc/reed, mic, room, etc and hear the difference (if any) for myself.

Reply To Post

4. by jaggtagg7
          (40 posts)

19 years ago

sweet, that settles it then. I am definatly going to order the Antigua as soon as i get my debit card set up. ill post as soon as i get it.

Reply To Post AIM

5. by jbroad572
          (46 posts)

19 years ago

Got my 586BC and it sure is a beauty. I've blown on it, but I sound terrible, not the horn. Well, I'll be trying to get used to it over the next few days. When I went to pick up some reeds, the music store guy was pretty much dogging on the Antigua's. He was saying that you definitely shouldn't have been paid a lot for it, then he went along talking about the "cheap" models they sell. I told him that I've read quite a few reviews and have not heard one bad thing about it. I tld him it was the coppy of the Yana and can truly comepte with the top 4. He kind of got off the subject real quick, lol. Well, I can't comment on how the sound is right now, since it is my lack of skill. I started with a 3 reed and then a 2.5, but I think I am going to go buy a 2, on Monday. Keep the reviews and impressions coming.

Reply To Post

6. by jaggtagg7
          (40 posts)

19 years ago

i'd hate to dig up old posts, but i think this is strange... my mother saw that i want to buy the Antiqua post on my xanga and did a search on google for the name and #. and this is actually the first site that came back on the search. and second was Kessler Music. its funny because she doesnt really want me to buy it and my two sources came back first... but anyways i havent be able to order the sop yet. i'm still getting things sorted out at my bank to get my checking account open.. a big mess. i'm getting rather fustrated and i cant wait to get and play the horn. pretty much everyday i think of how sweet it will be to play it. i know, pretty lame. so again, when i finally order and recieve the horn, ill let u know how things turn out.

Reply To Post AIM

7. by saxismyaxe
          (575 posts)

19 years ago

Jaggtagg7, It will be worth your wait. I know that those who haven't tried the horn are a bit leery of it, due to the past reputation that many Taiwanese horns have/had. However these 582thru590 Antiguas really are fantastic, both in terms of value for money, and as great sopranos at any price. Lets face it, we are benefiting from their plagiarizing of a fantastic Yani horn, at less than half the price. This is every bit 90% of what the original Yani horn is. I've played both, and chose the Antigua. I could have easily purchased either. I have some awfully nice vintage sopranos in my collection, and this one just about tops all of them IMHO. Mike.

Reply To Post