Saxophone Forum

by anne
(3 posts)
19 years ago

Hello - I'm a new member

I don't know much about saxes, so I need some sax advice. I recently inherited a saprano saxaphone from my grandfather. It is very tarnished, I think it is silver. The pads on the key are dried out ant the quork where the mouth piece needs to be replaced. I can only make out some of the words on it. It says Martin Elkhart 78505 Low Pitch. Anyone who can tell me about this sax please contact me. Thanks

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by attahere
    (5 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Hello - I'm a new member

Hi Ann, I'm new also. First do you play Sax? Secondly it probably doesent pay to repair your soprano. My advice is to buy a good used Sax or possibly a new one. I'm selling a like new Alto sax for 350.00, it's a good horn. Let me know if your interested. Attahere 1202610085 NJ

Reply To Post

1. by anne
      (3 posts)

19 years ago

The reason I want to repair the saprano sax is because it was my grandfathers. It is important to me that I fix it up like new. I also want to find out more about the saprano sax. I havent plaid in a while. I used to be an avid wind instrument player. I am not looking to buy anything right now. Thanks anyway

Reply To Post

1. by definition
        (963 posts)

19 years ago

The Martins are great horns! Check out the Section on Martin Horns on www.saxpics.com for a lot of info. That site is run by Pete Hales, the sax historian. Welcome to the forum, and enjoy the horn!

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by attahere
        (5 posts)

19 years ago

Hi Ann, The soprano is difficult to play, you must have a very developed embouchure i'm told. It is hard to control. But you played before so you know what it's all about. good luck with the repair job. Regards Attahere.

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

True, the soprano sax is a little harder to play than alto or tenor, but still much easier than clarinet or flute! Martin made one of the best soprano saxophones ever made. It's certainly worth repairing. The silver plated models usually clean up very well with some Tarn-X and silver polish. Where are you located Anne? The guy I've had repair some of my horns is in Burton, MI which is near Flint. He does excellent work, and his prices are fairly reasonable for the quality of work that he does. I would imagine you could ship the horn to him to be repaired if you couldn't find a reputable tech in your area. Email me for details if you're interested. Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!

3. by Philo114
        (6 posts)

19 years ago

Hi Anne I'm also new to this forum. I would visit this reparman's site. He just overhauled two of my horn's and did a beautiful job.... www.woodwind-shop.com/prod.html" target="other">www.woodwind-shop.com/prod.html Try to take some pictures of the soprano sax and e-mail him and ask him if it's worth overhaul which I sure it is. You can also inquire on this website about repairs. I also had an old Martin and some of them are very good horns. I know how it feels to receive a horn from a love one and if you want to have it restored, then just do it... You'll be surprised on how new techniques can bring back a dead looking sax, but bare in mind that not all vintage saxophones can be brought back to playable conditon, if you want it for looks... that's a good enough reason to have it restored and displayed in your home as a conversation piece. Good luck and hope you can do something with the old Martin... God bless. Phil Ocasio NY

Reply To Post AIM