Saxophone Forum

by jazaddict
(41 posts)
19 years ago

Down side of bending my octave key?

I got this new Antigua soprano, and I really like it, but the octave key travel is too far down "the other" side of the thumb button. I find it difficult to keep pressed when I'm using the palm keys D-F (F# & G). So I'm thinkin about putting a cloth on the key, getting a pair of pliers (gulp), and bending the octave key up and left so that my thumb can get to it easier. At first I was gonna glue a half-moon of cork...and I still might....but then I thought of this bending thing. I'm not worried about re-sale value of a modified horn, just the ergonomic or mechanical repercussions. Anybody do this? ANy suggestions?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Down side of bending my octave key?

I'd be careful, especially with an Antigua, although I think their keys are stronger than many others. I've done this with other horns without any problems.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by jazaddict
      (41 posts)

19 years ago

What brand of horns did you modifiy, and where on the horn were your modifications? I've been looking at it....I think I can get it where I want it without damaging anything. I'll most likely remove the octave key first to prevent undo stress on posts & such.

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

19 years ago

I've modified the left hand D, Eb, and F keys on an older Conn New Wonder Series I alto.

Reply To Post Yahoo!